Updated: May 1, 2016
“The Yucatan is statistically as safe as Finland.” – The Economist
Tips and Recommendations
- November to April are the best months of the year to visit Tulum – but Tulum is a year round destination and you can have a great visit any month of the year.
- The best luxury hotels in Tulum: Mezzanine • Coral Tulum • Alaya
- Tulum has the best beach along the Yucatan coast. Great sand and swimmable surf.
- Book far in advance for the best hotels on the Tulum beach. 3 months in advance is good, 6 months better.
- High season is December, January, February, July, and August when it’s even more important to find hotels early.
- Tulum does not have any mega-resorts or all-inclusives. The places listed below are small boutique-style hotels with lots of character.
- My top tips for visiting Tulum are to eat some tacos al pastor and swim in a cenote.
- The food in and around Tulum is amazing and one of the highlights of the town. These are my favorite restaurants.
- If you’re worried about the seaweed on the Yucatan coast then Tulum is a better choice than Cancun because there’s so much more to do here (swim in cenotes, boat tours of Sian Ka’an Biosphere, swim with turtles in nearby Akumal, great Mexican food in Tulum Pueblo). And the adventure parks Xplor, Xcaret, and Xel-Ha are much closer to Tulum than Cancun.
- Tulum is great for families. These are my favorite hotels for kids in Tulum.
The 20 Best Hotels in Tulum
The hotels below are ordered by location starting from the north end of the beach road (closest to Tulum town and the ruins) and moving south. All of these hotels are walking distance to several restaurants and biking distance to town – except Mezzanine which doesn’t have a lot nearby although it is closer to town than the other hotels.
- Mezzanine Hotel – luxury
Hotel phone: +52 984-131-1596
- Azulik Villas (Adults Only) – luxury
Hotel Phone: +54 11-5984-1575
- Posada Punta Piedra – moderate
Hotel phone: +52 984-806-4505
- Zamas Hotel – moderate
Hotel phone: +52 984-877-8523
- El Pez – luxury
Hotel Phone: +52 984-115-4728
- Amansala – moderate
Hotel phone: +52 984 100 0717
- Playa Kin Ha – moderate
Hotel phone: +52 984-871-2321
- Coral Tulum – luxury
Hotel Phone: +52 998-880-6022
- Coco Tulum Hotel – luxury
Hotel Phone: +52 984-155-1916
- Retiro Maya Tulum – moderate
Hotel phone: +52 984-143-1365
- My Way Luxury Resort – luxury
Hotel phone: ++52 984-143-1365
- Ana y Jose Charming Hotel & Spa – luxury
Hotel phone: +52 998-880-6022
- The Beach Tulum – luxury
Hotel phone: +52 984-873-1223
- Los Lirios Cabanas – luxury
Hotel Phone: +52 984-871-3534
- Villa Las Estrellas – luxury
Hotel phone: +52 984-879-0772
- Alaya Tulum by Ahau – luxury
Hotel phone: +52 984 108 2127
- Playa Mambo Eco Cabanas – moderate
Hotel phone: +52 984-803-2144
- OM Tulum Cabañas & Beach Club – moderate
Hotel phone: +52 984-157-7903
- Suenos Tulum – luxury
Hotel Phone: +52 984-115-4338
- Be Tulum Beach & Spa Resort – luxury
Hotel phone: +52 984-803-2243