Updated: November 20, 2016
Renting a Villa on Santorini
Renting a villa or house is a great choice if you’re staying longer than a week – shorter than that and I don’t think it’s worth the effort (and some villas have a minimum stay). Be prepared for sticker shock however. True private villas come in two price ranges: Expensive and Insanely Expensive.
Here are some tips for choosing and booking a holiday villa.
- The Villa at Grace Santorini is the best villa on Santorini.
- In general, stay in a villa if you’re in Santorini for longer than 4 or 5 nights – or are traveling with a large group. The best hotels on Santorini are stunning and not many villas match them for luxury, convenience, and views.
- It takes more effort to rent a villa than to book a hotel. That’s not to say it takes hours and hours of research but be prepared for a little more time to plan your stay.
- Reconfirm your reservation (at least once). If you book a villa 6 months in advance double checking the dates with the owner 3 months later and then again a week before your arrival is a good plan.
- Booking.com is the best site to use for renting villas. Like with booking hotels, the site has verified guest reviews so you’re not reading fake reviews written by the owners.
- Most private villas are located in Oia. Villas in Fira tend to be part of a hotel.
- Check and double check the location of any villa. Many look like they’re close to the main towns (or close to the beach) but are out in the middle of nowhere. Which can be fine, but obviously good to know what you’re getting. If you can’t get a good feel on where it’s located ask me and I’ll take a look.
- Book early. People plan trips to Santorini months (sometimes years) in advance. Hotels fill early in the year, and villas get booked even earlier.
- If you’re paying the owner upon arrival you’ll often need to pay cash, even if you booked online and used a credit card to reserve the villa.
- Weddings and wedding receptions are common at villas and rental homes. If you need more info ask the owner.
The 21 Best Villas in Santorini, Greece
Most of these rentals have full kitchens. Some have internet (free wifi), washer/dryer, and either a pool or jacuzzi. Book very early in the year as the best places fill up more than 6 months in advance.
Grace Santorini Villa with Private Pool – Imerovigli
Sleeps 4 – Part of the Grace hotel but with its own private pool and huge living area and deck. It’s the best of both worlds: the convenience and service of a hotel with the privacy of a private villa. This is the best villa on Santorini.
Oia Mansion – Oia
Sleeps 8 – This is a marvelous villa for larger groups perfectly located in central Oia. Good restaurants within steps. Incredible views. Huge kitchen and hot tub.
Windmill Villas – Imerovigli
White Pearl Villas – Oia
Virginia Traditional Cave Houses – Oia
SeaHorse Residence – Firostefani
Pegasus Villas – Imerovigli
Onar Villas – Oia
Kastro Oia Houses – Oia
Fira White Residences – Fira
Villa Estelle – Imerovigli
Celestia Grand – Fira
Blue Canaves Luxury Villa – Oia
Blue Angel Villa – Fira
Villa Ariadni – Oia
Anemi House – Oia
Anema Residences – Imerovigli