Alila Diwa Goa – Such serenity, style, and luxury in a charming village setting, though not beachside.
The Alila Diwa faces a quiet street lined with enough places to shop, eat, and drink, and is within a two-minute shuttle bus ride from a delightful beach. The design of bricks and ponds is a pleasing mix of old and new, and the grounds are huge. The rooms and suites are very spacious and comfortable, with some featuring extra-long balconies and enormous bathrooms with stand-alone tubs. Amenities are mightily impressive, too: from the pool with infinity edges that seem to merge into the horizon to the traditional-style café based around a gnarled banyan tree. Adding to the appeal are the spa the size of a guesthouse and free yoga classes in a dedicated studio. The resort also caters especially well for families with its large kids club, daily activities, special suites, and even a movie theater.
Alila Diwa Goa – The Location
(Attached to, and associated with, The Diwa Club resort, 300m away.)
- Address: In Majorda, one of the most northerly areas of South Goa. (Most places in Goa don’t have a proper address.) The main entrance is along an unnamed street (i.e. not the main road through South Goa), and the side entrance faces an unnamed path leading to the beach. This part of Majorda is sometimes called Gonsua.
- Area: Within a quiet section of Majorda, distant from the main road, 800m away. About 700m via a lovely path (or free shuttle bus) to the beach.
- How to Get There: From the airport (15 km), there is little choice except overpriced pre-paid taxis. The nearest major train station is at Vasco da Gama, 20 km away.
- Handy to: Majorda beach.
Alila Diwa Goa – The Basics
- Guests: Mostly foreign tourists, but also some from across India. Popular for Indian weddings.
- Kids Club: Impressive setup and unusually, separate areas for teenagers and those younger. Secure and supervised, it offers plenty of games and activities such as cooking, beach picnics, and face-painting. Special theater with movies twice a day (once especially for children).
- Views: All rooms face the internal gardens.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzi: None, but these are almost non-existent anywhere in Goa.
- Extras: Yoga classes twice a week. Daily movies in the theater. Shuttle bus to local beach.
- Parking: Enough places near the lobby and behind the gates.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)832 274 6800
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: alilahotels.com
Alila Diwa Goa – Amenities
- Pool: Stunning, with ‘islands’ of palm trees and infinity edges that seem to blend into the farmland on the other side of the fence. Plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas. Bar alongside.
- Spa: Spa Alila is extremely impressive. A spacious reception area leads to a series of ponds and private rooms, all with garden views. Guests can also learn how to mix ingredients for their treatments. Special section for children, too.
- Fitness Center: Well-equipped and popular among guests.
- For Families: So family-friendly, with kids club (see earlier), activities, kids spa, and movie theater showing children’s films.
- Activities: Separate cooking classes for children and adults.
- Other Facilities: Boutique. Organized tours. Money-exchange. Laundry. Travel desk.
Alila Diwa Goa – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Vivo – Buffets at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and a la carte 24/7. Focuses on healthy meals and offers tempting culinary themes throughout the week. • Spice Studio – Based around an ancient banyan tree, it specializes in Goan cuisine. With most tables outside, the setting is elegant, service excellent, and décor fascinating. Dinner only. • The Edge – All-day bar/lounge facing the pool. Imported spirits and trendy background music. Tapas available. • Courtyard Bar – Near the lobby and overlooking the courtyard, it offers signature cocktails and other unique fruit drinks. Leather lounges add to the appeal. • Bistro – Guests can also eat at the associated but separate The Diwa Club about 300m away (also accessible by shuttle bus). Mediterranean cuisine among a breezy and colorful setting facing the pool.
- Breakfast: Not included, but available for an extra charge.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Alila Diwa Goa – Rooms
- Room Types: Terrace Rooms • Family Terrace Rooms • Loft Rooms • Family Suites • Alila Suites • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms or public areas, but permitted in the gardens.
- Best Room: Luxury and serenity are guaranteed in the Alila Suites. Bathtub for 2 and more traditional Goan décor than the other rooms.
- For Families: Many rooms have connecting doors. Best are the Family Suites, with 2 sofas in the separate living areas that easily convert to single beds. Also, 2 bathrooms and extra-long balconies. These suites also provide close access to the children’s pool and kids club.
Alila Diwa Goa – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Fabulous area for exploring on foot along lanes meandering into villages and to the beach. Also terrific for cycling. Ask at reception about bike rentals.
- Public Transport: Public buses hurtle along the street just outside the gates about every 15 minutes. (More so in the early morning and late afternoon.) They loop around the local area and start/finish at Margao (Madgaon), the major transport hub for connections across Goa. No metro or any local trains of use to tourists.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: No auto-rickshaws or metered taxis. App-based rides, Uber and Ola, don’t operate anywhere in Goa, but the local alternative – Goa Miles – is worth trying, though really, the only option for longer trips are unmetered private ‘taxis’. Arrange these through the resort. Rates are overpriced but negotiable.
- Cars & Motorbikes: Goa is the only place in India where renting a car or motorbike is feasible. No internationally-recognized agencies are present, so renting at a local shop presents obvious risks. Best to organize this at the resort. Rides on the back of a motorbike (called a ‘pilot’) are possible; ask around.
Alila Diwa Goa – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Two excellent choices are directly opposite the resort gates:
- The Camron +91 99224 83479 – Popular with guests night after night for its friendly service, extended menu, and likable background music.
- Fish’ka Bar & Restaurant – Amazingly long menu, including pasta, burgers, and other western delights. Cheap prices, breezy setting, and fascinating photos on the walls.
Otherwise, walk to the beach via the shady path.
- Beach Cafés – The few places on the sand offer little more than drinks made from local fruits and imported spirits. So, the only options for a meal are Greenland Bar & Garden Restaurant, at the end of the path to the beach (600m), and The Camron Café, about 200m north along the sand from the Greenland.
- A few souvenir shops and a couple of basic grocery stores are located just south of the resort gates. A better-stocked grocery store is along the path to the beach, virtually at the side entrance to the resort.
- Majorda Beach is a magnificent stretch of sand that seems endless in both directions. It is astoundingly undeveloped, with just a few makeshift shacks renting sunbeds and selling mostly drinks. Waves can get a little rough for the inexperienced, so swim between the flags. (Lifeguards are on duty from about 10 am to sunset.) Some basic water-sports are also available from a kiosk on the beach. Note that facilities such as toilets are basic. To reach the beach (700m), use the side entrance to the resort (or take the free shuttle bus). The path to the beach is lovely, mostly flanked by fields of grazing cows, but take heed of the signs which say that the beach is strictly closed after 7 pm.
Alila Diwa Goa – The Hotel
All Goa Hotel Reviews
- The Acacia Hotel & Spa Goa
- Acron Candolim Regina
- Alagoa Resort
- The Avenue Calangute
- Beleza by the Beach
- Casablanca Resort
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Goa Candolim
- The Crown Goa
- The Diwa Club
- Goa Villagio Resort & Spa
- Hard Rock Hotel Goa
- Holiday Inn Resort, Goa
- Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho
- Hyatt Centric Candolim Goa
- John’s Highland Comfort Guest House
- Karma Royal Haathi Mahal
- La Sunila Suites
- Lemon Tree Amarante Beach Resort
- Mateus Boutique Hotel
- Novotel Goa Candolim Hotel
- Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort Hotel
- Radisson Goa Candolim
- Radisson Blu Resort Goa Cavelossim Beach
- River Castle
- Santana Beach Resort
- Sonesta Inns
- Tranquility Cottage Resort
- WelcomHeritage Panjim Inn, Pousada, & Peoples
- Whispering Palms Beach Resort
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai