Amatara Wellness Resort – Holistic wellness resort with fabulous views and opulent facilities.
This luxury lifestyle and wellness resort in south Phuket’s idyllic and sleepy Cape Panwa offers a “Relax and Renew” philosophy to all its guests. Well-designed and spacious rooms and suites, private beach, huge infinity pools, large fitness center, amazing spa, and multiple bars and restaurants make this an ideal holiday destination for all types of travelers. With an in-house doctor, as well as a nutritionist, nurse, and physiotherapist, the resort specializes in all-inclusive, bespoke wellness packages. Babysitters, activities, and numerous facilities ensure that even guests not looking for balancing the body and mind can have a leisurely, luxury holiday.
Amatara Wellness Resort – Location
(Previously known as the Regent Phuket Cape Panwa.)
- Address: 84 Moo 8, Sakdidej Road, Tambon Vichit, Cape Panwa, Phuket 83000, Thailand.
- Area: Prime clifftop location in Cape Panwa in southern Phuket. Walkable to the Panwa viewpoint and several restaurants and cafes nearby. Quiet area, not as commercialized as Patong Beach.
- How To Get There: The hotel offers complimentary (via common bus, if rooms are booked directly) and paid airport transfers, but guests can easily come from the airport via prepaid taxi, limousine service, or rented car, which takes about 1 hour (44km). Guests arriving in cruise ships will arrive at either the Phuket Port (large ships, 42km, 1-hour drive), Patong Bay (November to April, 24km, 45-minute drive), or the Ao Makham Port (May to October, 3km, 6-minute drive), depending on the size of the ship and the season. Small boats or the traditional long boats from the smaller islands can actually dock at the resort’s beach during high tide.
- Handy To: Laem Panwa Viewpoint (9-minute walk). Phuket Aquarium (13-minute walk).
Amatara Wellness Resort – The Basics
- Ages: Guests tend to be couples on a romantic getaway or honeymoon, individuals in high-stress jobs looking to unwind, and even families. All ages are welcome, and cribs and baby-sitters are available on request.
- Kids Club: Large kids club with plenty of activities, toys, and games, and attached children’s pool with a small “waterfall”.
- Beach: Private and secluded beach with soft white sand and shallow water that is ideal for swimming, kayaking, or paddle-boarding during high tide. However, the beach is accessible via a record 71 steps, and it’s quite a climb back up.
- View: Since the resort is located on a clifftop, views from throughout the resort and all bay or sea-facing rooms are breathtaking.
- Kitchen: No kitchens in any rooms, but Pool Villa guests can request romantic barbecues on their large patios with private chefs.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: All pool villas have pools with in-built jacuzzis. The main swimming pool also has a jacuzzi on one side.
- Laundry: Laundry facilities available. All pool villa guests get 8 pieces of laundry free per day.
- Parking: Plenty of free and secured parking on-site.
- Extras: Complimentary use of kayaks, paddle-boards, bicycles, pool table, and ping pong table. Multiple cooking classes. Welcome drinks, garland, and cold towels on arrival. Complimentary use of laptop and printer in The Library Lounge. Herb garden.
- Wi-Fi: Free and fast connections almost throughout the resort for all guests.
- When To Book: Reserve at least 3 months in advance for peak holiday periods like December-January or Chinese New Year. 1-2 months in advance for the low and shoulder seasons.
- How To Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +66 (0) 7631-8888
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: amataraphuket.com
Amatara Wellness Resort – Amenities
- Pools: 3 pools – massive infinity pool by the lobby, long infinity pool at the Retreat for wellness and Pool Villa guests, and fairly large children’s pool with “waterfall” at the kids club. Plus, private pools in the Pool Pavilions and Pool Villas.
- Spa: The award-winning Amatara Our Destination Spa is located in a huge separate building with amazing views, and offers an extensive range of treatments and massages. It features the world’s first Thai Hammam with hot and cold treatments, along with steam and sauna rooms, and a special Himalayan Salt room.
- Fitness Center: Huge fitness center, extremely well-equipped with modern machines, and private trainers available on request. Steam and sauna rooms are located under the gym. Large studio for Smart Pilates, yoga, aerobics, and Thai kick-boxing. Open-air studio for morning yoga. Special physiotherapy room. State-of-the-art colon hydrotherapy room.
- For Disabled Guests: The resort is located on an extremely steep cliff-top, so it’s not ideal for disabled or elderly guests. Some rooms with just a few steps can be used for partially-disabled guests. Limited in-room spa services and massages are also offered. Most guests request buggies to get around as the terrain is so steep.
- For Families: Kids club, kids pool, daily activities, kayaks, paddle boards, pool table, ping pong table, tennis court, and bicycles. Baby-sitters for hire.
- Activities: Thai, healthy, and raw cooking classes. Yoga, meditation, stretching, Thai massage, and Thai kick-boxing.
- Other Facilities: Boutique and souvenir shop. Business center. Library. Mini-fridge, safe, international plug points, coffee machine, and electric kettle in all rooms.
Amatara Wellness Resort – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: The Restaurant – Serves a sumptuous and healthy buffet breakfast in the mornings, and a la carte dinners from an authentic Thai, Asian, and semi-International menu. Outdoor and indoor seating. • The Grill – Open for lunch and dinner, offering indoor as well as outdoor seating. This casual fine dine restaurant specializes in grilled seafood and meat dishes. • The Retreat – Exclusively for wellness and Pool Villa guests for breakfast, and all guests for lunch and dinner. Offers a terrific healthy menu, including vegan dishes, that uses seasonal, organic, free-range, and unprocessed ingredients. Indoor and outdoor seating, with excellent views over the infinity pool and the bay beyond.
- Lounges/Bars: Sun & Moon – Open only from 5 pm to 11 pm, this rooftop bar serves excellent cocktails and fine vintage wines, with panoramic views over the bay and a gentle breeze for company. • Pool Terrace – Located on the pool deck, this bar serves beer, wine, cocktails, and light Asian and Western meals. Happy hours daily from 6-7 pm. • The Beach Table – A wooden log table overlooking the beach and bay. Good for refreshing cocktails, chilled beers, and light snacks. • The Library – Located at the lobby level, this uniquely designed library is a great meeting and relaxing space. Also serves afternoon tea and snacks, and offers complimentary use of laptop and printer.
- Breakfast: Not complimentary, but included in some rates and with wellness packages. Half and full-board packages available. Buffet breakfast for all guests at The Restaurant between 6.30 and 10.30 am daily. A la carte breakfast for wellness and Pool Villa guests at The Retreat from 6.30 to 11 am daily.
- Room Service: Available from 5.30 am till 11 pm.
Amatara Wellness Resort – Rooms
- Room Types: Bay View Suite • Ocean Pavilion • Sea View Suite • Pool Pavilion • Bay View Pool Villa • Ocean View Pool Villa
- Smoking Rooms: Being a wellness resort, smoking is only allowed in the balconies of each room and a designated area at the back of the lobby. No smoking allowed inside any of the rooms or in any of the public areas.
- Best Room: All rooms come with excellent views, electronic blinds, king beds, standalone bathtubs, balconies, mini-bars, and coffee machines. The Pool Villas, at 150 sqm each, are the best and most luxurious. Each villa comes with an oversized bathroom, huge stand-alone bathtub, extensive sundeck, large outdoor pool, and substantial living area. Complimentary services offered to Pool Villa guests include 1 bottle of rosé wine per stay, 8 pieces of laundry per day, 1 afternoon tea set at The Library per stay, 1 glass of cocktail per villa guest per day at Sun & Moon, access to The Retreat’s facilities and restaurant, and butler service.
- For Families: A single extra bed can only be added to the Sea View Suites and Pool Villas. Every Pool Villa features a sofa that can sleep an extra adult. Baby cots are complimentary. There are no connecting rooms, but adjoining rooms can be booked in advance.
Amatara Wellness Resort – Local Transport
- Walking: The lobby and rooms are quite a long and steep walk from the resort entrance. The area around the resort is quiet and pleasant for walking. However, there are no sidewalks, so be careful. Local hawkers selling souvenirs and food line up along the main road on specially-modified motorcycle stalls after 5 pm, once the temperature is cooler. Being a predominantly Muslim area, most establishments shut by 10 pm, but that also means there are no loud, disturbing parties in the neighborhood late in the night, unlike the more commercialized and packed areas of Phuket.
- Bus: The only local bus from the Old Town stops at Panwa beach, so it’s not very convenient. The resort offers paid shuttle bus transfers to/from the airport, Phuket Old Town, Central Festival mall, night market, and Patong (at night).
- Taxis: Fixed price taxis can be booked at the taxi stand right outside the resort’s main gate, but they are expensive. App-based GrabTaxi is difficult to get in Panwa, though it’s easily available in the more crowded areas like Patong and Phuket Old Town. Best to book a car for half or full day, and finish sight-seeing, shopping, and eating out along the route.
Amatara Wellness Resort – What’s Nearby?
Recommended Nearby Tours
- Island Tours: Half and full-day boat trips to islands such as James Bond, Phi Phi, Coral, Raya, and several others can be arranged, which also include hotel pickup and drop-off, as well as tea/coffee, lunch, snacks, and/or dinner.
- Phuket Tours: Similarly, half and full-day Phuket trips can be arranged through the resort or through travel agencies, and trips can also be customized per hour.
Best Nearby Restaurants and Bars
- Blue Wave – Located at the Panwa Viewpoint, this small cafe offers a delicious value-for-money Thai and Western menu and drinks. Friendly staff and excellent views. 9-minute walk (700m).
- Sawasdee – Well-loved by locals and foreigners alike for its great value authentic Thai menu and some western dishes, coupled with chilled beer. Next to Blue Wave. 9-minute walk (750m).
- Reun Panwa – Located just outside The Kantary Bay Hotel, this tiny restaurant and bar serves great cocktails, chilled beer, and excellent Thai food. Also popular for the great sea views. 10-minute walk (850m).
- Pullman Panwa Beach Resort – Both on-site restaurants offer indoor and outdoor seating and a good selection of wines: Tamarind (authentic Thai food, and open only for dinner) and Aqua (breakfast buffets, and international cuisine through the day). 11-minute walk (900m).
- Old Phuket Town – Several options serving cuisines from around the world at various price points at Old Phuket Town and Central Festival. 22-minute drive (12km).
- Sala Mexicali – 1 of 2 outlets just a 2-minute drive from the Chalong Bay Rum Distillery (see Attractions below). Serves authentic and fresh Mexican food, beer, and tequila. 23-minute drive (13km).
Best Nearby Cafes
- The Panwa Cafe – Opposite Pullman Panwa Beach Resort and run by a very friendly couple. Extremely popular for its air-conditioned interior, coffee, breakfast, and Thai dishes. 10-minute walk (800m).
- Café Kantary – Located in The Kantary Bay Hotel. Excellent menu of coffee, tea, milkshakes, sandwiches, pastries, and desserts. 10-minute walk (850m).
Nearby Shopping & Cool Shops
All these attractions can be completed by hiring a car with driver for 6-8 hours on an hourly basis.
- Laem Panwa Viewpoint – A nice seaside promenade that is great for views, walks, or to just sit and enjoy the food from the motorcycle vendors in the evenings. 9-minute walk (750m).
- Phuket Aquarium – Small aquarium featuring several live exhibits, including sharks, glass tunnel, and even a turtle sanctuary. Worth a visit, especially if with small kids. 13-minute walk (1km).
- Old Phuket Town – The historical Sino-Portuguese architecture, colorful buildings, and several shops, cafés, restaurants, and bars make this a must-visit destination for most travelers in Phuket. 22-minute drive (12km).
- Chalong Bay Rum Distillery – This small distillery manufactures excellent, award-winning rum using organic sugarcane and centuries-old French techniques. A must-visit for its tour (with rum tasting and free mojito), restaurant, and bar. One can also grab a bite at Sala Mexicali, just a short walk from the distillery. 23-minute drive (13km).
- Big Buddha – Giant marble statue of the Big Buddha on a hilltop, with panoramic view of Phuket and the sea in all directions. Visitors can even rent ATVs to go up and down the steep and winding 6km hill. Dress conservatively. 42-minute drive (22km).
- Promthep Cape – Arguably Phuket’s best sunset point at the southernmost tip of the island. Breathtaking views, and the adventurous can also hike to the southernmost point down a rocky path. Enjoy dinner at the Promthem Cape Restaurant to round off the evening. 40-minute drive (24km).
Nearby Markets or Grocery Stores
Amatara Wellness Resort – The Hotel
- Thailand Travel Guide
- Best Time to Visit Thailand
- The Best Hotels in Bangkok
- The Best Hotels in Phuket
- The Best Hotels in Koh Samui
- Family Hotels in Bangkok
- Family Hotels in Phuket
- Family Hotels in Koh Samui
- Best Hotels in Singapore
- Best Hotels in Sentosa
- Best Hotels in Hong Kong
- Best Hotels in Bali
- Best Hotels in Lombok
- Best Hotels in Kuala Lumpur
- Best Hotels in Penang
- Best Hotels in Siem Reap
- Best Hotels in Phnom Penh
- Best Hotels in Hanoi
- Best Hotels in Hoi An
- Best Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
- Best Hotels in Fiji
- Best Hotels in Dubai
- Best Hotels in Sydney