Ambassade Hotel – Literary-themed boutique hotel with a superb art collection in the historic canal ring.
A great favorite with local and international literati, the Ambassade consists of 56 individually-decorated rooms of all shapes and sizes, spread across ten beautifully renovated canal houses – eight facing the stately Herengracht canal and two more overlooking the Singelgracht. Inside, the decor is a melange of original features such as beamed ceilings, a museum-worthy collection of art by the 20th-century CoBrA art movement and contemporary Dutch artists, antique Louis XV and Louis XVI furniture, and thoroughly modern in-room amenities. Rooms are decked out either in sumptuous fabrics or florals and leopard print, with bold splashes of color, and all bathrooms come with Bulgari amenities and twin sinks. Service is convivial and helpful, and the on-site dining is excellent.
Ambassade Hotel – Location
- Address: Herengracht 341, 1016 AZ Amsterdam.
- Nearest Tram: Spui.
- Area: In the heart of the hip Nine Streets neighborhood, surrounded by numerous independent boutiques and restaurants, right in the historic Canal Belt. Ambassade is situated on a quiet street overlooking the grand Herengracht canal, with most of the city’s big attractions an easy walk away. Anne Frank House, the Medieval Center, and the Red Light District are all less than 10 minutes on foot, the Museum Quarter is around 15 minutes’ walk (or a short tram ride) away. The nearest tram stop is less than 5 minutes’ walk, off busy Spui square, with quick connections to Centraal Station and the Museum Quarter.
- How to Get There: Take the train from Schiphol Airport to Centraal Station, then tram #1, #2 or #5 to Spui, a 4-minute walk from the hotel.
- Handy to: Anne Frank House, Nine Streets, historic canal ring, Spui square.
Ambassade Hotel – The Basics
- Ages: Guests are mostly couples on a romantic city break, but children of all ages are welcome. There are family rooms with baby cots provided free of charge, the Brasserie has high chairs for small children, and babysitting services can be arranged on request.
- View: Most of the 56 rooms offer views of the Herengracht canal; the rest come with city views.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: No private pools/jacuzzi.
- Laundry: In-room laundry service.
- Extras: There are bicycles available for guest use (€17.50 per day). The extensive library-cum-bar for guests includes over 4,000 signed first editions by writers who’ve stayed here such as Toni Morisson and Isabel Allende, including 15 Nobel Literature Prize winners.
- When to Book: Reserve 3 months in advance for the mid-March to mid-May tulip season, the July and August high season, and the Christmas-New Year period.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: 020-555-0222
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: ambassade-hotel.nl/
Ambassade Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: No pool.
- Spa: No spa on-site, but there’s a wellness center offering massages and saltwater float cabins right nearby.
- Fitness Center: No fitness center, but it’s possible to borrow some fitness equipment such as exercise mats and weights.
- For Disabled Guests: Most rooms involve stair access, but the staff is happy to assist.
- For Families: Baby cots are provided free of charge, the Brasserie has high chairs for small children, and babysitting services can be arranged on request.
Ambassade Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: The Brasserie Ambassade (noon-3 pm & 6-10 pm) serves classic French cuisine in refined surroundings, with bold art by artists belonging to the CoBrA collective, antique mirrors and views of the Herengracht canal. • $$$.
- Lounge/Bar: The Library Bar is a cozy literary space cum watering hole where guests can enjoy a quiet craft beer or classic cocktail. In keeping with the hotel’s literary traditions, monthly literary salons are held here with talks by journalists and writers.
- Breakfast: Not complimentary. Excellent buffet breakfast with a selection of local cheeses, cold cuts, and smoked fish, with eggs cooked to order, Dutch pancakes and champagne; available between 7 am and 11 am; €22.50 per person. Book your room directly through the hotel website for a 35% discount on breakfast price.
- Room Service: 24-hour room service available.
Ambassade Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard • Classic • Deluxe • Superior Deluxe • Triple • Quadruple • Duplex Superior • Grand Suite • Apartment
- Smoking Rooms: Ambassade Hotel is 100% smoke-free.
- Best Room: The 3 Grand Suites offer excellent canal views.
- For Families: There are family rooms with baby cots provided free of charge.
Ambassade Hotel – Local Transport
- Walking: Lively Jordaan district, Spui square, Anne Frank House, and Dam square are just a few minutes on foot; walkable to attractions in the Medieval Center and Red Light District; Museum Quarter 20 minutes on foot.
- Tram: From the nearby Spui stop, trams run north to Centraal Station via the Medieval Center and south towards Leidseplein and the Museum Quarter.
- Taxis, Uber: Taxis and Uber charge around €35 from the airport to the hotel. Within the city, Uber rides cost around half of taxi fares. It’s often quicker to walk, cycle, or jump on a tram.
Ambassade Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Recommended Nearby Tours
- Gs Brunch Boat – The world’s only brunch boat sets sail year round from Keizersgracht 177. Extensive menus are accompanied by mimosas and bloody marys, together with an hour and a half’s Amsterdam canal tour. Start location: 9-minute walk.
- Secret Food Tours – Sample raw herring, stamppot, stroopwafel, pancakes, and more on this walking tour of traditional Dutch food hotspots. Meet at the Anne Frank House. Start location: 10-minute walk.
- Jewish History Amsterdam – Themed walking tours of Jewish Amsterdam; tours of the western canal ring typically start at the Anne Frank House. Start location: 10-minute walk.
- Lovers Canal Cruises – Hour-long small boat canal cruises depart from the dock near the Anne Frank House. Start location: 10-minute walk.
- Blue Boat Company – Open-boat cruises, themed kids’ cruises, evening cruises, and Hard Rock burger cruises. Start location: 16-minute walk.
Best Nearby Restaurants
- Indonesian Kitchen – Intimate, wallet-friendly Indonesian restaurant. Choose from the likes of beef rendang and lamb chops, or get a spread of small dishes. 2-minute walk.
- D’Vijff Vlieghen – Characterful restaurant spread over 5 17th-century canal houses, renowned for its imaginative Modern Dutch dishes and decked out with original Rembrandt works. Reservations essential. 3-minute walk.
- Supperclub Amsterdam – Dinner and a show: beds instead of tables, provocative performance art, DJs, and decadent 5-course menus. 3-minute walk.
- Herengracht Restaurant & Bar – Creative modern European dishes served in a leafy courtyard, refined dining room, or canal-side terrace. 4-minute walk.
- OCCO Bar & Brasserie – Modern European dishes, plus excellent gin-based cocktails. 4-minute walk.
- Vinkeles – Michelin-starred French fine dining inside an atmospheric 18th-century bakery. Reserve well ahead. 4-minute walk.
- Lucius – Local institution, popular as ever after 4 decades. Expect refined seafood dishes, from the pike the restaurant is named after to steamed razor clams with chili. Reservations. 4-minute walk.
- Tomaz – Brasserie with a solid menu of French and Dutch dishes and daily vegetarian specials. 5-minute walk.
- Cannibale Royale – Gourmet burgers and steaks. 5-minute walk.
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
- De Admiraal – Amsterdam’s largest traditional tasting house, with 16 jenevers and 60 liqueurs. 1-minute walk.
- Café Hoppe – Centuries-old, wood-paneled brown café attached to a modern pub with terrace. 2-minute walk.
- Flying Dutchmen Cocktails – Tiny cocktail bar with award-winning bartenders and killer signature cocktails. Try the Flying Dutchman. 3-minute walk.
- De Doffer – Informal, 70’s-style café and bar, popular with students and artists. Inexpensive beer and food. 4-minute walk.
- De Pilsener Club – Grungy, 19th-century brown café where locals come to drink and chat. 5-minute walk.
- Lion Noir – Original cocktails and interior full of plants, bird cages, and taxidermied birds, and some of Amsterdam’s hippest A-listers. 6-minute walk.
- Taboo Bar – Gay bar popular for its pre-clubbing drinks, drag shows on Wednesdays (and €6 cocktails!), and happy hours from 6-7 pm and midnight-1 am. 6-minute walk.
- Pulitzer’s Bar – Stylish art deco cocktail bar inside the eponymous hotel. Classic cocktails as well as expertly-mixed signature drinks. 7-minute walk.
- Café het Molenpad – Popular canal-side café by day; candlelit, romantic bar by night. 7-minute walk.
Nearby Shopping and Cool Shops
- We Are Labels – Casual street wear, shoes, and accessories for men and women by mbyM, Numph, Global Funk, edited the label, Norr, and more. 1-minute walk.
- Scotch & Soda – Chic street wear for men and women from the Amsterdam fashion label gone global. Lots of denim. 2-minute walk.
- Travelteq – Smart, stylish travel accessories, from handmade leather briefcases and messenger bags to suitcases. 2-minute walk.
- Zipper Vintage Clothing – Retro gear, from 1940’s zoot suits to dresses, printed shirts, and pork-pie hats. 2-minute walk.
- Van Ravenstein – Chic, upmarket fashion for men and women by the likes of Viktor & Rolf, Dries van Noten, and Veronique Leroy. 3-minute walk.
- Rain Couture Amsterdam – Designer outerwear for rainy days. 3-minute walk.
- Marlies Dekkers – Swimwear and gorgeous lingerie with a hint of bondage. 4-minute walk.
- Mendo – Books on art, design, photography, and architecture. 4-minute walk.
- The Darling – Quirky, funky, locally-designed clothes and accessories for women. 4-minute walk.
- De Kaaskamer – The Cheese Room stocks numerous Dutch cheeses, as well as tapenades, olives, and other accompaniments. 4-minute walk.
- Dutch Accent Gallery – Unique Dutch landscape and Amsterdam cityscape paintings. 5-minute walk.
- Denham the Jeanmaker – Flagship menswear store selling jeans, jackets, and knitwear; the women’s branch is around the corner. 5-minute walk.
Nearby Market or Grocery
Ambassade Hotel – The Hotel
All Amsterdam Hotel Reviews
- Crane Hotel Faralda
- Sir Adam Hotel
Southern Canal Ring
- American Hotel Amsterdam
- Banks Mansion
- Hotel Seven One Seven
- Mokum Suites
- Seven Bridges Hotel
- Waldorf Astoria
- Hotel Okura Amsterdam
- Sir Albert
- Breitner House
- InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
- Lloyd Hotel
- Zoku Amsterdam
- AMS Suites (Temporarily Closed)
- Morgan & Mees
- Mr. Jordaan
Medieval Center & Red Light District
- art’otel Amsterdam
- Eric Vökel Boutique Apartments – Amsterdam Suites
- De L’Europe Amsterdam
- Hotel Estheréa
- Hotel TwentySeven
- Hotel V Nesplein
- INK Hotel Amsterdam – MGallery
- Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam
- Luxury Suites Amsterdam
- Misc Eatdrinksleep
- NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen
- NH Collection Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
- Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
- W Amsterdam
Vondelpark & Museum Quarter Hotels
- The College Hotel
- Conservatorium Hotel
- Hotel De Hallen
- Hotel JL No76
- Pillows Luxury Boutique Hotel Anna Van Den Vondel Amsterdam
- Hotel The Neighbour’s Magnolia
Western Canal Ring Hotels
- Best Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Family Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Boutique Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Budget Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Airport Hotels in Amsterdam
- Where to Stay in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Hotel Map
- Best Time to Visit Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Tours & Things to Do
- Best Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Bars, Breweries, & Tasting Rooms
- Best Amsterdam Shops & Markets
- Amsterdam with Kids
- Complete Amsterdam Travel Guide