Home > Ambassador, New Delhi Hotel Review
Updated: October 9, 2019
Ambassador, New Delhi – IHCL SeleQtions – Petite, endearing, and convenient – and not another mega-hotel.
Facing an old croquet court now flanked with wrought-iron tables, the Ambassador is instantly appealing. Featuring whitewashed walls, curved balconies, and carpeted corridors lined with fascinating art, the hotel is certainly reminiscent of the colonial era, even though it wasn’t built then. Rooms are very comfortable, admirably spacious, and set back from the main road and its relentless traffic. A genuine attraction is the proximity to Khan Market (an expansive collection of places to eat, drink, and shop), as well as several attractions, such as the Lodhi Garden. No pool, but plenty of charm.
Ambassador, New Delhi – IHCL SeleQtions – The Location
- Address: Sujan Singh Park, Subramaniam Bharti Marg (road), in the inner southern suburbs.
- Area: In New Delhi, built as the Indian capital by British colonialists. Wide, clean, and shady streets, and plenty of facilities in the adjacent Khan Market area.
- How to Get There: From the airport, take the shuttle bus to the Aerocity metro station. Go to the New Delhi metro station and then get a connection to the Khan Market station (230m from the hotel, 3-minute walk). Otherwise, a taxi (unmetered) to/from the airport will take about 30-45 minutes (19km).
- Handy to: Khan Market. Lodhi Garden.
Ambassador, New Delhi – IHCL SeleQtions – The Basics
- Guests: Caters very well for tourists and business people. Most guests seem to be over 40, and many are Indian.
- Views: All rooms face the neighboring block of private residences or the courtyard/garden in front. A few directly overlook the carpark, which isn’t noisy. All rooms are at least 50m from the main road.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at an old-fashioned boutique hotel like this in Delhi.
- Wi-Fi: Free throughout for all guests.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)11 6626 1000
- Email: [email protected]
- Websites: tajhotels.com • seleqtionshotels.com
Ambassador, New Delhi – IHCL SeleQtions – Amenities
- Pool: Surprisingly, there isn’t one. Probably because the old-fashioned design precludes such luxury.
- Spa: Modest array of treatments, including some using ancient Indian techniques.
- Fitness Center: Plenty of equipment and open 24/7. Trainers available during daylight hours.
- Facilities: Organic boutique.
Ambassador, New Delhi – IHCL SeleQtions – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Larry’s China – Indoors and uniquely decorated. Classy service and exquisite Chinese. • Yellow Brick Road – Casual and offering a mixture of cuisines. Where breakfast is served. Seating inside or out. • Insomnia – Popular for late-night cocktails and live music. Also, light meals and snacks. • Baba’s Beans – At the lobby for coffee and pastries in a pleasant, airy setting.
- Breakfast: Normally included, but this depends on how the room was booked.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours – 7 am to 10 pm.
Ambassador, New Delhi – IHCL SeleQtions – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Charm Rooms • Deluxe Delight Rooms • Premium Indulgence Rooms • Executive Rooms • Deluxe Allure Suites • Executive Suites
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms or public areas, but permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: Executive Suites are 2-3 times the size of the standard rooms. Very elegant and colonial in style.
- For Families: All rooms and suites can comfortably fit 3, and the Executive Rooms and Suites are ideal for families of 4.
Ambassador, New Delhi – IHCL SeleQtions – Local Transport
- Walking: With rare footpaths, mostly unblocked, it’s a nicer area for walking than most, and Khan Market (see below) is close by.
- Public Transport: The Delhi Metro is quick, reliable, and excellent value. The closest metro station is at Khan Market, only 230m away. 3-minute walk.
- Taxis & Rickshaws: Taxis are white, poorly-signed, and surprisingly hard to find. None will use a meter, and all are overpriced. Best arranged through the hotel. Also available are Uber and Ola. Contrastingly, auto-rickshaws are everywhere.
Ambassador, New Delhi – IHCL SeleQtions – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
Excellent selection at Khan Market (see below), barely 5 minutes on foot. Along a back lane are:
- L’opera – Very tempting patisserie for cakes, sandwiches, and coffee. 5-minute walk (450m).
- The Beer Café – Wine, beer, tapas, and Western food. Prominent corner position with upstairs viewing. 5-minute walk (450m).
- Punjab Grill – Friendly, good value, and authentic food. 7-minute walk (550m).
And in a corner cluster within about 20m of each other are:
- Smokey’s BBQ & Grill – All sorts of meats grilled to perfection. Equally popular for draft beer and live music. 5-minute walk (400m).
- La Vie – Another restaurant with surprisingly chic décor. Renowned for pizza and other Italian dishes. Daily specials. 5-minute walk (400m).
- Wok in the Clouds – Authentic street-food in a very stylish setting. Also Thai, Chinese, and European food. Bar attached. 5-minute walk (450m).
Shops & Markets
- The Khan Market is an extended area of narrow lanes brimming with better-than-normal shops and restaurants, but there is no real street market as such. Now a major attraction, Khan Market is seedy in places but does offer some well-known outlets too, such as Starbucks and Subway. Just 300m down the road from the hotel. 4-minute walk.
Ambassador, New Delhi – IHCL SeleQtions – The Hotel
All Delhi Hotel Reviews
- Andaz Delhi
- B Nineteen Luxury Hotel
- Holiday Inn New Delhi International Airport
- Hyatt Regency Delhi
- Ibis New Delhi Aerocity Hotel
- The Imperial New Delhi
- La Sagrita
- The LaLiT New Delhi
- Le Méridien New Delhi
- The Leela Ambience Convention Hotel
- The Leela Palace New Delhi
- Lemon Tree Premier, Delhi Airport
- The Lodhi
- Lutyens Bungalow
- The Oberoi New Delhi
- Pride Plaza Hotel Aerocity
- Radisson Blu Marina Hotel Connaught Place
- Shangri-La’s – Eros Hotel
- Taj Mahal, New Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai