India › Delhi Hotels › Ambassador Review
Updated: March 21, 2022
• Location: Between Khan Market and the Delhi Golf Club.
• Hotel websites: tajhotels.com • seleqtionshotels.com
• Hotel phone: +91 (0)11 6626 1000
• Check prices for Ambassador
Ambassador – Petite, endearing, and convenient – and not another mega-hotel.
Facing an old croquet court now flanked with wrought-iron tables, the Ambassador is instantly appealing. Featuring whitewashed walls, curved balconies, and carpeted corridors lined with fascinating art, the hotel is certainly reminiscent of the colonial era, even though it wasn’t built then. Rooms are very comfortable, admirably spacious, and set back from the main road and its relentless traffic. A genuine attraction is the proximity to Khan Market (an expansive collection of places to eat, drink, and shop), as well as several attractions, such as the Lodhi Garden. No pool, but plenty of charm.
Ambassador – The Location
- Address: Sujan Singh Park, Subramaniam Bharti Marg (road), in the inner southern suburbs.
- Nearest Metro: Khan Market station is less than 250m from the hotel.
- Area: In New Delhi, built as the Indian capital by British colonialists. Wide, clean, and shady streets, and plenty of facilities in the adjacent Khan Market area.
- How to Get There: From the airport, take the shuttle bus to the Aerocity metro station. Go to the New Delhi metro station and then get a connection to the Khan Market station (250m from the hotel). Otherwise, a taxi (unmetered) to/from the airport will take about 30-45 minutes (20 km).
- Handy to: Khan Market. Lodhi Garden.
Ambassador – The Basics
- Guests: Caters very well for tourists and business people. Most guests seem to be over 40, and many are Indian.
- Views: All rooms face the neighboring block of private residences or the courtyard/garden in front. A few directly overlook the carpark, which isn’t noisy. All rooms are at least 50m from the main road.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at an old-fashioned boutique hotel like this in Delhi.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)11 6626 1000
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Websites: tajhotels.com • seleqtionshotels.com
Ambassador – Amenities
- Pool: Surprisingly, there isn’t one. Probably because the old-fashioned design precludes such luxury.
- Spa: Modest array of treatments, including some using ancient Indian techniques.
- Fitness Center: Plenty of equipment and open 24/7. Trainers available during daylight hours.
- Facilities: Organic boutique.
Ambassador – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Larry’s China – Indoors and uniquely decorated. Classy service and exquisite Chinese. • Yellow Brick Road – Casual and offering a mixture of cuisines. Where breakfast is served. Seating inside or out. • Insomnia – Popular for late-night cocktails and live music. Also, light meals and snacks. • Baba’s Beans – At the lobby for coffee and pastries in a pleasant, airy setting.
- Breakfast: Normally included, but this depends on how the room was booked.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours – 7 am to 10 pm.
Ambassador – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Charm Rooms • Deluxe Delight Rooms • Premium Indulgence Rooms • Executive Rooms • Deluxe Allure Suites • Executive Suites • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms or public areas, but permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: Executive Suites are 2-3 times the size of the standard rooms. Very elegant and colonial in style.
- For Families: All rooms and suites can comfortably fit 3, and the Executive Rooms and Suites are ideal for families of 4.
Ambassador – Local Transport
- Walking: With rare footpaths, mostly unblocked, it’s a nicer area for walking than most, and Khan Market (see below) is close by.
- Public Transport: The Delhi Metro is quick, reliable, and excellent value. The closest metro station is at Khan Market, only 250m away.
- Taxis & Rickshaws: Taxis are white, poorly-signed, and surprisingly hard to find. None will use a meter, and all are overpriced. Best arranged through the hotel. Also available are Uber and Ola. Contrastingly, auto-rickshaws are everywhere.
Ambassador – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Excellent selection at Khan Market (see below), barely 5 minutes on foot. Along a back lane are:
- L’opera – Very tempting patisserie for cakes, sandwiches, and coffee. (500m).
- The Beer Café – Wine, beer, tapas, and Western food. Prominent corner position with upstairs viewing. (500m).
- Punjab Grill – Friendly, good value, and authentic food. (500m).
And in a corner cluster within about 20m of each other are:
- Smokey’s BBQ & Grill – All sorts of meats grilled to perfection. Equally popular for draft beer and live music. (400m).
- La Vie – Another restaurant with surprisingly chic décor. Renowned for pizza and other Italian dishes. Daily specials. (400m).
- Wok in the Clouds – Authentic street-food in a very stylish setting. Also Thai, Chinese, and European food. Bar attached. (500m).
Nearby Shops & Markets
- Khan Market – An extended area of narrow lanes brimming with better-than-normal shops and restaurants, but there is no real street market as such. Now a major attraction, Khan Market is seedy in places but does offer some well-known outlets too, such as Starbucks and Subway. Just 300m down the road from the hotel.
- Lodhi Garden – A welcome respite, this garden is home to several impressive tombs as well as a lake, mosque, and glasshouse. The nearest entrance is less than a kilometer away; head down the road, past Khan Market (900m). Open daily from sunrise to sunset, and entrance is free.
Ambassador – The Hotel
All Delhi Hotel Reviews
- Andaz Aerocity
- B Nineteen
- Holiday Inn International Airport
- Hyatt Regency
- Ibis Aerocity
- The Imperial
- La Sagrita
- The LaLiT
- Le Méridien
- Leela Ambience Convention Hotel
- Leela Palace
- Lemon Tree Premier, Airport
- The Lodhi
- The Oberoi
- Pride Plaza Aerocity
- Radisson Blu Marina Connaught Place
- Shangri-La Eros
- Taj Mahal
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter