by Santorini Dave • Updated: July 16, 2019
Ambassador Pallava – Quirky, convenient, and conservative, it’s also family-friendly and great value.
The Ambassador is likably old-fashioned, although bordering on out-of-date, so renovations were sensibly underway in mid-2019. In an area packed with cafés and shops in the city center, this hotel provides top-end facilities at lower-than-expected rates. The pool is substantial with an attached area for kids – a rarity among rivals. Rooms are in two wings: The Heritage Wing and the ‘newer’ building, which now looks like a throwback to 1965. All accommodations are spacious, especially the suites, which feature separate sitting rooms with extra windows. The main selling points are an interesting and useful location, affordable rates, and attached sports/leisure center.
Ambassador Pallava – The Location
- Address: 30 Montieth Road, Egmore, in the city center.
- Area: Busy shopping district, with plenty of shops, Indian-style malls, and places to eat nearby.
- How to Get There: There are efficient pre-paid taxi counters at the domestic and international airports; the trip takes about 45-55 minutes (16km). (Uber and Ola seem to be off-limits there.) The hotel is linked by metro to the airport, Central and Egmore train terminals, and CMBT (Koyambedu) bus station. (In fact, the Egmore terminal is less than 2km from the hotel.) See Local Transport below for more information.
Ambassador Pallava – The Basics
- Guests: Curious mix of Indian and foreign business people and tourists.
- Views: As expected in this inner-city area, a few high-rises block some views.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected (or provided) at this sort of inner-city and old-style hotel.
- Extras: Daily newspaper delivered to each room.
- Wi-Fi: Free throughout for all guests.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)44 2855 4476
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: ambassadorindia.com
Ambassador Pallava – Amenities
- Pool: Sizable and outdoors, it doesn’t look as inviting as others. Lacks shade and enough sunbeds, but a decent-sized kid’s pool is attached, which is rare among other hotels.
- Spa: Located in the separately-run sports center (see below).
- Fitness Center: Attached to the hotel, Sports Planet is a huge sports/leisure center with a gym, spa, squash court, and table tennis. Separate areas for men and women.
- Other Facilities: Travel agencies. Florist. Money-changing. Computer station with free use. Laundry.
Ambassador Pallava – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Salt & Pepper Coffee Shop – Casual and open 24 hours, the meals are excellent. • The Society – On a mezzanine level, with a row of tables alongside a sunny window and overlooking the pool. Tasty meals, and buffets at breakfast and lunch. The attached bar is dark, but drinks can be ordered at the restaurant.
- Breakfast: Included in some rates, but check when booking.
- Room Service: Available 24/7, but limited menu overnight.
Ambassador Pallava – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms • Executive Rooms • Heritage Rooms • Executive Suites • Pallava Suites
- Smoking Rooms: A special floor for smokers.
- Best Room: The Pallava Suites are 4 times larger than the standard rooms. Grand, graceful, and delightfully old-fashioned, they feature long balconies.
- For Families: All rooms are big enough for an extra single bed each. The management is happy to accommodate families, so check about possible configurations and connecting rooms.
Ambassador Pallava – Local Transport
- Walking: With plenty of facilities along a comparatively quieter street, walking is more pleasant than most other areas of the city.
- Public Transport: The metro offers services to both airport terminals, the major train and bus stations, and the city center. The nearest metro station – LIC – is 1.4km away (5-minute drive). The more useful Egmore metro station is about 2.5km (8-minute drive) from the hotel.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: The black-and-yellow taxis at the airport are nowhere to be seen in the city. Instead, they have been replaced by the app-based Uber and Ola. Plenty of auto-rickshaws around but the drivers won’t use meters, so they usually cost more than Uber or Ola.
Ambassador Pallava – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
Plenty of places selling street food along the road in front. The ones below are within 200m northwest up the road.
- Vestin Park – Directly across the road, this hotel offers a decent restaurant, Splendour, and to the side, Brew Bites. 1-minute walk (75m).
- Cakewalk – All sorts of pastries and coffee. A few tables inside. 2-minute walk (150m).
- Domino’s – Familiar pizza joint for eating-in, takeaway, or delivery. 2-minute walk (160m).
- Olive & Basil – Tempting menu of mostly noodles and seafood. 2-minute walk (170m).
- Spice Trail – In the same building as Olive & Basil. Popular, with a focus on local cuisine, including tandoori items and biryanis (rice-based dishes). 2-minute walk (190m).
- Lots of places along the road in front. A few call themselves ‘malls’ but these are just a meager collection of shops, with little of interest to most hotel guests.
Ambassador Pallava – The Hotel
- Avenue 11 Boutique Residences – Review
- Courtyard Chennai – Review
- Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park – Review
- E Hotel – Review
- Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels – Review
- Hyatt Regency Chennai – Review
- La Woods Hotel – Review
- Novotel Chennai Chamiers Road – Review
- Radisson Blu Hotel Chennai City Centre – Review
- The Raintree, Anna Salai – Review
- Residency Towers Chennai – Review
- Taj Club House – Review
- Taj Connemara – Review
- The Residency Chennai – Review