American Hotel Amsterdam – Grand early 20th century hotel on bustling Leidseplein.
One of Amsterdam’s grand dames, American Hotel Amsterdam is a 1902 Viennese Renaissance masterpiece – all turrets and gables and stained glass, right in the heart of Amsterdam’s Theatre District. In its heyday, it was the city’s most modern hotel – the first one to have an elevator – and while its restaurant retains a turn-of-the-century ambience, it has recently undergone a spruce-up. The rooms are spacious and decorated in an Art Deco-inspired contemporary style, with compact bathrooms but large mirrors, and nice extras such as espresso makers and pillow menus. Service is professional and helpful, and the hotel is perfectly located both for sightseeing and nightlife.
American Hotel Amsterdam – Location
- Address: Leidsekade 97, 1017 PN Amsterdam.
- Nearest Tram: Leidseplein.
- Area: On the edge of the historic canal ring, and right on the busy Leidseplein square, surrounded by restaurants, bars and clubs. The 3 main art museums of the Museum Quarter are less than 10 minutes’ walk away; Anne Frank House – 18 minutes on foot; plus there are numerous other museums, art galleries and shops within easy walking distance. Walkable to the Medieval Center, Jordaan and De Pijp. The nearest tram stop is just steps away, with quick and easy connections to the Medieval Center, Red Light District, Centraal Station, and the Museum Quarter.
- How to Get There: Take the train from Schiphol Airport to Centraal Station, then tram #1, #2 or #5 to the Leidseplein stop, 2-minute walk from the hotel.
- Handy to: Leidseplein and its nightlife, Museumplein, Vondelpark.
American Hotel Amsterdam – The Basics
- Ages: Most guests are couples on a city break. Children are welcome, though there are few child-friendly facilities besides baby cots. Babysitting services can be arranged on request.
- View: The 175 rooms overlook either the Singel canal or the bustling Leidseplein square; the latter come with small balconies.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: No private pools/jacuzzi.
- Laundry: In-room laundry service.
- Extras: There’s a bona fide recording studio – Studio Americain – in the basement, in case you’re looking to record some music professionally.
- When to Book: Reserve 3 to 4 months in advance for the mid-March to mid-May tulip season, the July and August high season, and the Christmas-New Year period.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: 020-556-3000
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: amsterdamamericanhotel.com
American Hotel Amsterdam – Amenities
- Pool: No pool.
- Spa: No spa, but there’s an on-site sauna.
- Fitness Center: Fully equipped fitness center.
- For Disabled Guests: Not suitable for disabled guests.
- For Families: Baby cots and babysitting services available on request.
American Hotel Amsterdam – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: The Café Americain (8am-10pm) is wonderfully atmospheric, with high arched ceilings, Jugendstil wall murals, and Art Deco lamps. Perch at the green Italian marble and brushed brass bar for a drink, or else dine on modern brasserie dishes, served to the accompaniment of live piano music. • $$.
- Lounge/Bar: The plush red seats of Bar Americain make for a cozy spot to sip one of their excellent cocktails. Its walls are covered with the photos of many celebrities who once frequented this watering hole, such as Amy Winehouse, and there’s live music every first Tuesday of the month.
- Breakfast: Not complimentary. Good buffet breakfast with a selection of hot dishes available between 8am and 10.30am; €23 per person.
- Room Service: 24-hour room service available.
American Hotel Amsterdam – Rooms
- Room Types: Classic • Deluxe • Junior Suite
- Smoking Rooms: American Hotel Amsterdam is 100% smoke-free.
- Best Room: It’s hard to go wrong with a Junior Suite overlooking the Singel canal.
- For Families: No family rooms per se.
American Hotel Amsterdam – Local Transport
- Walking: About 10 minutes’ walk to Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum and Stedelijk Museum. Easy walking distance to Vondelpark, high-end shopping along P.C. Hooftstraat, and numerous boutiques, restaurants, bars and shops in the canal ring. Walkable to the Medieval Center, Red Light District, Jordaan and De Pijp.
- Tram: Direct tram connections from the nearby Leidseplein stop to Centraal Station (13 minutes) via the Medieval Center (10 minutes), the Museum Quarter and Vondelpark.
- Taxis, Uber: Taxis and Uber charge around €35 from the airport to the hotel. Within the city, Uber rides cost around half of taxi fares. It’s often quicker to walk, cycle, or jump on a tram.
American Hotel Amsterdam – What’s Nearby?
Recommended Nearby Tours
Best Nearby Restaurants
- Hosokawa – Slick, contemporary Japanese restaurant specializing in sushi, teppanyaki, and robatayaki dishes. Great onsite bar, too. 3-minute walk.
- Taste of Culture – Hearty mix of Peking and Sichuan dishes, from Peking duck to fish in spicy broth with chilies. 4-minute walk.
- The Pantry – Classic Dutch dishes such as herring with pickles and hutspot (hearty beef stew); old-fashioned, wood-paneled setting. 4-minute walk.
- Restaurant In de Buurt – Industrial-style restaurant with canal-side terrace; menu ranges from gourmet mini-burgers to freshly-grilled fish. 4-minute walk.
- Restaurant De Blauwe Hollander – Light Dutch bites for lunch, and hearty dishes (liver with apple and potato mash, bacon-wrapped meatballs) for dinner. 4-minute walk.
- Casa Peru – The Netherlands’ only Peruvian restaurant. Come here for ceviche, aji de gallina (chicken in spicy yellow sauce), and pisco cocktails. 5-minute walk.
- Ron Gastrobar Oriental – Asian-inspired tapas-style dishes such as Wagyu steak tartare and dim sum with foie gras. 6-minute walk.
- Blue Pepper – Amsterdam’s best Indonesian restaurant, with an exquisite rijsttafel (small dish) spread. Tasting menu only; vegetarian options available. 6-minute walk.
- Pastini – Great canal-side location, Renaissance interior, antipasto specialties, homemade pastas, and decadent desserts. 7-minute walk.
- Stach – Casual Mediterranean cuisine; get homemade pastas, sandwiches, and organic bread to go, or have it here. 9-minute walk.
Best Nearby Bars and Live Music
- Café Eijlders – Brown, stained-glass café that served as a gathering place for artists resisting the Nazis during WWII. A chilled-out spot for a drink; exhibitions and poetry readings sometimes held here. 3-minute walk.
- NJOY Cocktailbar – The bartender will mix you an imaginative cocktail to match your personality here. Occasional cocktail-making classes, too. No under-23’s. 3-minute walk.
- Suzy Wong – Crimson-lit bar with mirrored ceiling, bamboo garden, fresh-fruit mojitos, and a stylish clientele. 3-minute walk.
- Jazz Café Alto – Local and international jazz and blues performers take to the stage here. 3-minute walk.
- Bourbon Street – Themed live music nightly, from the likes of blues veteran Lamar Chase to Afrobeat, soul and R&B by La Frica. 4-minute walk.
- De Zotte – Oak-paneled watering hole, with over 130 Belgian and Dutch beers, including Trappist beers, and some rare and unusual brews. The food menu includes the signature Hartige Tart and Flemish steaks; get here early to nab a table. 4-minute walk.
- L&B Whisky Café – Single malt, single cask, bourbon, blend…this intimate whisky bar stocks over 2,100 whiskies from around the world, from Scotland to Japan. 4-minute walk.
- Café de Spuyt – A favorite with students and beer buffs, this friendly pub serves over 100 bottled brews from around the world, including Belgian Trappist ales. 5-minute walk.
- Café het Molenpad – Popular canal-side café by day; candlelit, romantic bar by night. 6-minute walk.
- De Doffer – Informal, 70’s-style café and bar, popular with students and artists. Inexpensive beer and food. 10-minute walk.
Nearby Shopping and Cool Shops
- Heinen Delfts Blauw – One of several outlets in Amsterdam selling the renowned blue-and-white Delft ceramics. 4-minute walk.
- Young Designers United – Wallet-friendly women’s fashion by hip young designers such as Jutka en Riska, Agna K, and Fenny Faber. 6-minute walk.
- Mark Raven Amsterdam Art – Amsterdam cityscapes in drawing, sketch, and T-shirt print form. 6-minute walk.
- Reflex Modern Art Gallery – Contemporary photography and art by members of Nouveau Realiste and CoBrA movements. 6-minute walk.
- Frozen Fountain – Bold, interior design store selling unique homewares and furniture. 7-minute walk.
- Tinkerbell – Fun and educational toys for kids of all ages. 7-minute walk.
- Denham the Jeanmaker – Flagship menswear store selling jeans, jackets and knitwear; the women’s branch is around the corner. 7-minute walk.
- Kramer Kunst & Antiek – Antique Dutch tiles are the specialty, but you may find all sorts of antique treasures here. 8-minute walk.
- Carl Denig – Long-established outdoor retailer; come here for hiking equipment, tents, outdoor gear, and more. 8-minute walk.
- Jaski Gallery – Sculptures, ceramics, prints and paintings by members of the CoBrA (Copenhagen/Brussels/Amsterdam) art movement. 9-minute walk.
- So ART Gallery – Contemporary art prints, paintings, sculptures, and drawings, from the 1900s to the present day. 9-minute walk.
Nearby Market or Grocery
American Hotel Amsterdam – The Hotel
All Amsterdam Hotel Reviews
- Crane Hotel Faralda
- Sir Adam Hotel
Southern Canal Ring
- Banks Mansion
- Hotel Seven One Seven
- Mokum Suites
- Seven Bridges Hotel
- Waldorf Astoria
- Hotel Okura Amsterdam
- Sir Albert
- Breitner House
- InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
- Lloyd Hotel
- Zoku Amsterdam
- AMS Suites (Temporarily Closed)
- Morgan & Mees
- Mr. Jordaan
Medieval Center & Red Light District
- art’otel Amsterdam
- Eric Vökel Boutique Apartments – Amsterdam Suites
- De L’Europe Amsterdam
- Hotel Estheréa
- Hotel TwentySeven
- Hotel V Nesplein
- INK Hotel Amsterdam – MGallery
- Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam
- Luxury Suites Amsterdam
- Misc Eatdrinksleep
- NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen
- NH Collection Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
- Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
- W Amsterdam
Vondelpark & Museum Quarter Hotels
- The College Hotel
- Conservatorium Hotel
- Hotel De Hallen
- Hotel JL No76
- Pillows Luxury Boutique Hotel Anna Van Den Vondel Amsterdam
- Hotel The Neighbour’s Magnolia
Western Canal Ring Hotels
- Best Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Family Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Boutique Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Budget Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Airport Hotels in Amsterdam
- Where to Stay in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Hotel Map
- Best Time to Visit Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Tours & Things to Do
- Best Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Bars, Breweries, & Tasting Rooms
- Best Amsterdam Shops & Markets
- Amsterdam with Kids
- Complete Amsterdam Travel Guide