Home > Avenue 11 Boutique Residences Hotel Review
Updated: October 9, 2019
Avenue 11 Boutique Residences – Serene, charming, and a great-value guesthouse, and much better than the outside suggests.
Deep inside a tranquil residential area of the inner city, the guesthouse’s exterior isn’t that inspiring, but the lovely rooms are as spacious as anything offered at a four or five-star resort costing so much more. Rooms are within a high-walled compound offering some greenery, and the furnishings and décor are delightfully old-fashioned – in a good way. Absolutely worth a small extra cost are the gorgeous Superior Suites because they’re so large and packed with attractive furniture. What’s more, the staff is very helpful, and with minimal traffic within earshot, the guesthouse is quiet. Located a short stroll from a handful of pleasant restaurants and cafés, Avenue 11 is a welcome respite and a worthy alternative to overpriced high-rises that invariably face chaotic roads.
Avenue 11 Boutique Residences – The Location
- Address: 11 Raghava Veera Avenue in the inner-city suburb of Poes Garden. Along a dead-end street in an upmarket residential area. Not signposted along the way and no driver will find it, so come prepared with Google Maps.
- Area: Very quiet residential area, with minimal traffic and noise. Shady and ideal for walking.
- How to Get There: There are efficient pre-paid taxi counters at the domestic and international airports; the trip takes about 35-45 minutes (14km). (Uber and Ola seem to be off-limits there.) The guesthouse is linked by metro to the airport, Central and Egmore train terminals, and CMBT (Koyambedu) bus station. See Local Transport below for more information.
Avenue 11 Boutique Residences – The Basics
- Guests: Anyone seeking less expensive home-style accommodation in a serene setting.
- Views: Most face the internal gardens or a quiet side street.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Certainly not expected (or provided) at this sort of inner-city guesthouse.
- Wi-Fi: Available for free but a small extra charge is levied for faster speeds.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)44 4218 2000
- Email: n/a
- Website: n/a
Avenue 11 Boutique Residences – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Certainly not expected (or provided).
Avenue 11 Boutique Residences – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: No café on-site, as expected, but a few bench seats where guests can eat breakfast or other meals from the limited but thoughtful menu.
- Breakfast: Simple but adequate Indian-style breakfast included in all rates.
- Room Service: A range of Indian and western snacks and meals can be ordered from about 8 am to 8 pm and delivered to the rooms.
Avenue 11 Boutique Residences – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard Double Rooms • Superior Double Rooms • Superior Suites
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms, but permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: The ground-floor Superior Suite is very spacious and lovingly furnished. Faces a courtyard garden with a hammock between palm trees, and the bathroom has a spa bath.
- For Families: The Superior Suites (described above) each have an extra single bed already included, and there’s certainly space for another.
Avenue 11 Boutique Residences – Local Transport
- Walking: Within an upmarket residential area of minimal traffic, the streets are a delight to stroll along. Be prepared, however, because it’s easy to get lost and disoriented.
- Public Transport: The metro offers services to both airport terminals, the major train and bus stations, and the city center. The nearest metro station – Teynampet – is about 2km away (10-minute drive). Take an auto-rickshaw because the roads are very confusing.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: The black-and-yellow taxis at the airport are nowhere to be seen in the city. Instead, they have been replaced by the app-based Uber and Ola. Plenty of auto-rickshaws around but the drivers won’t use meters, so they usually cost more than Uber or Ola.
Avenue 11 Boutique Residences – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
Several terrific places within a 10-minute walk. These 2 are opposite each other, about 500m away. From the guesthouse, head right, left, and right. Then, veer right at the T-junction, and then left.
- Desi Di – Indian street food in a funky setting. Notable by the street cart outside and sign: ‘Welcum Turist We Spik Ingleesh’. 6-minute walk (450m).
- Enté Keralam – Sophisticated décor, intimate setting, and delicious food from the neighboring Kerala state. Or come just for a beer. 6-minute walk (550m).
The following 3 places are a further 3-5 minute walk.
- Jonah’s Meet Chef Willi – American-style diner offering massive burgers among other hearty Western meals. 7-minute walk (600m).
- Winter Palace – Interestingly, within the Russian Cultural Centre. Pizzas, borscht (beetroot soup), and a range of other Russian and western food. They can rustle up a beer if asked discreetly. 8-minute walk (650m).
- The English Tearoom Café – Adorable upstairs setting. Wide range of western meals and delicious tea/coffee. 8-minute walk (700m).
- A few shops and basic eateries along Cathedral Road – on the other side from an entrance to the residential area. From the guesthouse, turn right, left, and right. At the T-junction veer right. 7-minute walk (550m).
Avenue 11 Boutique Residences – The Hotel
All Chennai Hotel Reviews
- Ambassador Pallava
- Courtyard by Marriott Chennai
- Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park
- E Hotel
- Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels
- Hyatt Regency Chennai
- La Woods Hotel
- Novotel Chennai Chamiers Road
- Radisson Blu Hotel Chennai City Centre
- The Raintree, Anna Salai
- Residency Towers Chennai
- Taj Club House
- Taj Connemara
- The Residency Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai