Home > Avenue Calangute Hotel Review
Updated: October 9, 2019
The Avenue Calangute – Sparkling new and surprisingly luxurious, located in a fascinating area, but not that convenient.
Finished as recently as late 2018, The Avenue is already making a name for itself. In the popular tourist region of Calangute, there are several cafés, bars, and shops nearby, but what makes this hotel more appealing than most others is that the surrounding area is still generally an Indian town. Rooms feature a pleasant décor of subtle browns and greens; modern furnishings, including sofas, marble floors, and huge TVs; and lovely bathrooms. Adding to the appeal are the affordable rates, extensive street views, and a fabulous pool on the rooftop. The only downside is the distance from the beach, but there are plenty of transport options to access it.
The Avenue Calangute – The Location
- Address: Along Calangute-Arpora (Anjuna) Road, midway along Calangute, a major tourist region in the southern part of North Goa. About 100m south of Dr. Jack Sequira Junction, a roundabout with a KFC outlet. (Most places in Goa don’t have an address.)
- Area: Busy area, still more Indian-style than touristy. Enough facilities for guests in the immediate area, but the nearest beach is 1.5km away.
- How to Get There: From the airport (37km, 70-minute drive), there is little choice except overpriced pre-paid taxis. The nearest major train station is at Vasco da Gama, 40km away (75-minute drive).
- Handy to: Facilities and beach at Calangute.
The Avenue Calangute – The Basics
- Guests: Indian and foreign tourists. Also, some guests on conventions.
- Views: In mid-2019, nothing was blocking views on either side, but this may change as the area becomes built-up. Rooms at the front overlook the main road and may suffer from traffic noise.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Certainly not expected (or provided) at this sort of mid-range hotel in Goa.
- Wi-Fi: Available free, but hit-and-miss in some rooms.
- Parking: Ask about secure parking nearby when booking.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)832 665 1234
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: theavenuecalangute.com
The Avenue Calangute – Amenities
- Pool: On the rooftop (5th floor) and larger than at many resorts costing twice as much. Breezes, views, and a few sunbeds, but shares an area with some building machinery.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Neither are offered.
- For Families: Modest games area with ping pong table.
- Other Facilities: Laundry (24 hours).
The Avenue Calangute – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Uncle Sam’s Restaurant & Cafe – With tables inside and along the road, it offers a long menu of Indian and western food. Also, a pastry shop, and live music on some nights. • Sky Lounge Bar & Restaurant – Spectacular rooftop (5th floor) position for views, meals, and cocktails, as well as, hookahs (shishas). • Bardez Multi-Cuisine Restaurant – Specializes in Goan cuisine and offers impressive service.
- Breakfast: Included if staying at the Premium Rooms. Available for an extra charge for other rooms.
- Room Service: Available from about 7 am to 11 pm.
The Avenue Calangute – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms • Superior Rooms • Premium Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is allowed in some rooms. Ask when booking.
- Best Room: Premium Rooms are the largest and on a higher floor so views will be superior. Breakfast is included.
- For Families: Space in all rooms for an extra single bed. The management is happy to discuss any configuration for families.
The Avenue Calangute – Local Transport
- Walking: Plenty to see and do along the main road, which offers some sidewalks. More pleasant along the side streets, some of which lead to villages.
- Public Transport: Local buses are convenient and frequent. They travel up and down – and stop anywhere along – the main road through Candolim and Calangute, and also head to the major beach at Calangute (see below). Some detour to Panaji (Panjim), the state capital and regional transport hub, via a stop opposite the Acacia hotel (3.5km south, 10-minute drive). For connections around North Goa, head to Mapusa, 8km away (20-minute drive). No metro or any local trains of use to tourists.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: No auto-rickshaws or metered taxis. App-based Uber/Ola don’t operate anywhere in Goa. The local alternative – Goa Miles – is worth trying, though really, the only option for longer trips are unmetered private ‘taxis’. Arrange these through the hotel or with drivers hanging about the streets. Rates are overpriced but negotiable.
- Cars & Motorbikes: Goa is the only place in India where renting a car or motorbike is feasible. No internationally-recognized agencies are present, so renting at a local shop presents obvious risks. Best to organize this at the resort. Rides on the back of a motorbike (called a ‘pilot’) are possible; ask around.
The Avenue Calangute – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
Not as many options as further south, but enough to satisfy most guests.
- Foodland Restaurant – Simple Indian and western meals, friendly manager, and great value. Virtually over the road from the hotel. 1-minute walk (20m).
- Hotel Calangute Towers – 2 great options: Eat Street at the front, popular for its well-priced evening buffets, and Curry Leaf, almost hidden at the back for an elegant setting and exceptional service. At the roundabout, 70m north of the hotel. 1-minute walk.
- Café Sussegado Souza – Adorable historic building in a fascinating roadside location. Long and very inviting menu of Goan cuisine. Fabulous for a cold beer while people-watching. Next to Hotel Calangute Towers. 1-minute walk (100m).
- KFC – Also at the roundabout. 2-minute walk (120m).
- Sher-a-Punjab Bar & Restaurant – Lovely setting inside and out. Tasty thalis (set meals in steel plates) and other cheap Indian food. Open 24 hours. 200m south down the road, away from the roundabout. 2-minute walk.
- Domino’s – Familiar pizza joint for takeaway or eat-in. Just past Sher-a-Punjab. 2-minute walk (200m).
Shops & Markets
- Most shops in the immediate vicinity are for locals, not tourists, so they are even more interesting to explore. Also, a few minimarts around the place. The road to the beach (see below) is packed with makeshift market stalls.
- The main stretch of Calangute Beach is about 1.5km away. Take an auto-rickshaw, shuttle bus, private (unmetered) taxi, bus, or simply walk. (The turn-off to the beach from the main road is about 200m north of the hotel.) This part of the beach is Indian-style: very busy, packed with souvenir stalls and cheap eateries, and a little garish. Fascinating, but not relaxing. Beach cafés on the sand also rent out sunbeds and umbrellas. Always swim between the flags. Lifeguards are on duty from about 10 am to sunset. 15-minute walk.
The Avenue Calangute – The Hotel
All Goa Hotel Reviews
- The Acacia Hotel & Spa Goa
- Alagoa Resort
- Alila Diwa
- Beleza by the Beach
- Casablanca Resort
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Goa Candolim
- The Crown Goa
- The Diwa Club
- Fortune Acron Regina
- Goa Villagio Resort & Spa
- Hard Rock Hotel Goa
- Holiday Inn Resort, Goa
- Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho
- Hyatt Centric Candolim Goa
- John’s Highland Comfort Guest House
- Karma Royal Haathi Mahal
- La Sunila Suites
- Lemon Tree Amarante Beach Resort
- Mateus Boutique Hotel
- Novotel Goa Candolim Hotel
- Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort Hotel
- Panjim Inn, Pousada, & Peoples
- Radisson Goa Candolim
- Radisson Blu Resort Goa Cavelossim Beach
- River Castle
- Santana Beach Resort
- Sonesta Inns
- Tranquility Cottage Resort
- Whispering Palms Beach Resort
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Time to Visit Goa
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai