by Santorini Dave • Updated: March 2, 2019
See Also: The Best Hotels in Bali
Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa – Traditional design and sparkling décor in a prime location.
Less opulent and more affordable than neighboring mega-resorts, the Bali Mandira features a pleasing Balinese-style design. Rooms don’t offer sea views, but rather face delightful gardens filled with ponds and traditional statues. All are spacious and have been lovingly renovated with many Balinese touches; secluded cottages are connected by a village-style path. The extensive lawns have plenty of lounge chairs and palm trees, and the glittering beachside pool boasts a ‘waterfall’ and sandy ‘beach’ with thatched umbrellas. Another pool is for adults only. The attached Azul Beach Club offers tempting meals and splendid views.
Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa – The Location
- Address: In the southern part of Legian, near the invisible border with Kuta, the most popular tourist region in Bali. The entrance is on Jalan Padma, a dead-end access road to the beach.
- Area: Faces Legian Beach and the quiet pedestrian seaside path. Plenty of facilities in all directions.
- How to Get There: The only way to/from the airport is by metered taxi or chartered car with a driver. This takes about 25 minutes, depending on traffic.
- Handy to: All the facilities in Legian and Kuta.
Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa – The Basics
- Guests: Can’t compete with neighboring mega-resorts as a family destination, hence caters reasonably well for all.
- Beach: Directly faces (across a path) a wide, clean beach. Plenty of shade and a few drinks stalls on the white sand. The water is more suitable for surfing, so be careful and swim between the flags.
- Kids Club: Cening Kids Club is decent but not as impressive as nearby rivals, offering movies and lessons in Balinese crafts and Indonesian language (Bahasa).
- Views: All rooms face the delightful gardens; none offer sea views.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Club Pool Villas feature a private pool.
- Extras: Free lessons in Balinese crafts.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout for all guests.
- Parking: A few free and secure spots at the reception area, but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (0)361 766 251
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: balimandira.com
Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa – Amenities
- Pool: Three. One is beachside and lagoon-shaped with thatched umbrellas and shady lawns and large enough to feature a ‘beach’, ‘waterfall’, and pool bar. Another adults-only pool features large gazebos and a jacuzzi. A third is for children and has waterslides.
- Spa: The wonderful Glow Spa offers signature treatments and good-value packages.
- Fitness Center: Smallish but adequate choice of equipment.
- For Families: Kiddie pool with waterslides. Kids Club. A few activities in traditional arts and crafts.
- Activities: Cooking classes.
- Other Facilities: In-house travel agency.
Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Celagi – All-day dining with views of the pool and sea. Popular for buffets, traditional music/dance, and babu guling (roast pig). • Barong Bar – Alongside the pool and facing the beach. Happy hours, signature pizzas, and soothing live music. Salsa dancing on some nights. • Suling Lounge – Classy setting, traditional décor, terrace seats, and comfy lounges inside.
- Breakfast: Not normally included, but can be – depending on the type of room and how it was booked.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Rooms • Superior Family Rooms • Deluxe Cottages • Deluxe Club Cottages • Private Courtyard Club • Junior Club Suites • Mandira Club Suites • Club Pool Villas
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in or around the rooms and public areas but permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: Club Pool Villas are very sumptuous and secluded, and feature gorgeous bathrooms and good-sized private pools.
- For Families: Most rooms and cottages can fit in an extra single bed. Superior Family Rooms can easily accommodate a family of 4.
Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Walkable to everything that Legian and Kuta have to offer. Cycling on the path alongside Legian Beach is great fun. Ask the hotel about bike rental.
- Public Transport: In lieu of any public transport, the Kura-Kura Bus company links Kuta with Ubud and the rest of southern Bali but schedules are convoluted and routes confusing.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: To go anywhere within southern Bali, hire metered taxis which are abundant, cheap, and comfortable. For longer distances, organize a chartered car with driver (for a negotiable fare). Drivers hang about street corners but it’s best to organize this through the hotel. Driving a car is not recommended anywhere in Bali and renting one in Kuta/Legian is madness. Motorbikes are easy to rent and useful for getting around the backstreets of Kuta and Legian but not so elsewhere in southern Bali.
- Shuttle Bus: To reach another town outside of southern Bali, e.g. Ubud, buy a ticket at a travel agency for a shuttle bus. The main operator, Perama, provides services all over Bali from its office on Jalan Legian street in Kuta, about 3km from the hotel by taxi. (17-minute drive).
Bali Mandira Beach Resort & Spa – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Virtually part of the resort and along the beachside path, Azul Beach Club is a gorgeous restaurant/bar, uniquely designed across 3 levels. Great for coffee, cocktails, and Sunday barbecues, kids’ activities included. For something different, try the tacos, tandoori specialties, or organic vegetarian dishes.
Places listed below are in a cluster within 150m of the beach along Jalan Padma (the street with the main entrance to the resort).
- Mamma Maurici – Divine Italian café, complete with checkered tablecloths and wrought-iron balcony. 1-minute walk.
- Fat Bowl – Hugely popular for healthy food and drinks menu. Trendy music late into the night. 1-minute walk.
- Makan Place – Corner position and impressive traditional design. Patrons return night after night for the superior service and food. 1-minute walk.
- Asian Spice Bali – Eclectic menu of tasty delights from across the continent. Recognisable by the rickshaw out front. 2-minute walk.
- Posers Pub – Perfect corner setting for pub-style meals, people-watching, and meeting new friends. 2-minute walk.
- The main shopping street is Jalan Legian, about 400m east along Jalan Padma street. A more congregated and varied selection of places to eat, drink, and shop in comfort is at the world-class Beachwalk Shopping Center. On the beachside road to the south in Kuta, 1.3km on foot (further by taxi). 16-minute walk.