Bentley Hotel – Convenient, roomy, inexpensive, and in a top-notch area.
Certainly not as posh as it sounds, this is the best-value budget-priced guesthouse in this upmarket area facing the sea within the inner city. On the third floor of one of many similar buildings, the Bentley offers simple accommodation, but considerably better are the Superior Rooms (rightly called ‘suites’ by staff). As spacious as anything offered by a five-star hotel down the road, these suites include sunny alcoves of windows and seats, and plenty of space for luggage. Most rooms/suites are surprisingly quiet considering the corner location, and a hearty breakfast is included. Best of all is the location: about halfway along the Marine Drive esplanade, adjacent to the international cricket stadium, and close to Chowpatty Beach.
Bentley Hotel – The Location
Not to be confused with Bentley’s Hotel in Colaba (near the Gateway of India).
- Address: 3rd floor, Krishna Mahal building. Corner of Vinoo Mankad Road (also called D Road) and Marine Drive, the inner-city esplanade. In front of Wankhede Stadium, where major cricket games are played. In an area called Churchgate, named after the nearby railway station.
- Area: Fabulous area alongside the sea, so there are breezes and sunsets (haze permitting). About halfway along the esplanade. About 2.5 km to Chowpatty beach to the north and about 1 km to a great range of facilities to the south (around The Oberoi hotel).
- How to Get There: From the airport, get a taxi at a pre-paid counter (25 km; 1-hour drive, longer during peak times). The Mumbai Central train station and nearby central bus depot are 20-25 minutes (5 km) away and the CSMT station is a 15-minute drive (2 km).
Bentley Hotel – The Basics
- Guests: Independent and budget-minded travelers of all ages.
- Views: Some Superior Rooms (really ‘suites’) offer sea views, but these overlook the very busy road. Other suites and rooms face the quieter and tree-lined side-street. The rest directly face a neighboring building and offer no views at all.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Certainly not expected (or provided) at a low-key guesthouse like this.
- Extras: Foot massage machines. Free 30-minute back massage.
- Wi-Fi: Included free throughout for all guests, and reliable.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)22 2281 5244
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: bentleyhotel.in
Bentley Hotel – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Not expected (or provided).
- Other Facilities: Laundry.
Bentley Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: No café on-site, as expected at a low-key guesthouse like this.
- Breakfast: Included in all rates. Served to the rooms, and quite substantial.
- Room Service: With no café on-site, room service is not available.
Bentley Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Rooms (Twin or Double) • Deluxe Double Rooms • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking anywhere on the premises.
- Best Room: The Superior Rooms (‘suites’) with direct sea views also face the noisy road. Better are those facing the quieter side-street. These suites still offer sea views at an angle and are also more distant from the reception desk.
- For Families: The sofas in the Superior Rooms (‘suites’) can be easily converted to single beds, and there’s space in the alcoves for a second single bed as well.
Bentley Hotel – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: One of the finest areas in Mumbai for walking. With wide and shady sidewalks the entire length of the esplanade, why not join the hundreds of locals for an early morning stroll?
- Public Transport: Nothing of any use to tourists. The Mumbai Metro probably won’t reach this far until about 2023.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: Plenty of taxis. Use the black-and-yellow ones and insist on using the meter. Rides can also be booked using Uber and Ola apps. No auto-rickshaws in this area.
Bentley Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- InterContinental – About 250m south down the road, this lovely hotel offers: Dome (bar/bistro with stunning rooftop setting), Long & Short-The Gastrobar (coffee shop, café, and bar with esplanade views), and Kebab Korner (juicy meats, fascinating décor, and sea views).
- Café Coffee Day – One in a vast countrywide chain of popular cafés serving light meals and coffee. Unique street-side position in the Sea Green Hotel, 500m south.
The best selection is along Veer Nariman (VN) Road, which starts about 400m south down the road from the guesthouse. These 5 places are within 250m of the junction (with traffic lights) of VN Road and the esplanade.
- Pizza by the Bay – Known across the city as much for its corner position, sea views, and art deco style as its tasty (but pricey) pizzas, wraps, and pasta.
- Shiv Sagar – Casual street-side setting or air-conditioned inside. Massive menu includes tacos, pasta, and pizzas – all vegetarian. Bar attached.
- Mockingbird Café Bar – Very classy and pleasingly priced. Mostly Indian and Italian food, but tasty burgers and sandwiches, too.
- Gaylord – French-style café/bar/bakery providing street-side seats perfect for people-watching. A little pricey, but worthwhile.
- The popular Chowpatty Beach is about 2.5 km north along the esplanade from the guesthouse. Ideal for a walk there and, maybe, a taxi back. While the sand is clean and views are impressive, the water is not suitable for swimming. Plenty of food stalls during the evenings.
Bentley Hotel – The Hotel
All Mumbai Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Time to Visit Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Time to Visit Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Best Time to Visit Chennai
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Time to Visit Delhi
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Time to Visit Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Time to Visit Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Time to Visit Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Time to Visit Kolkata