Besakih Beach Hotel – Traditional design with modern comforts, facing an excellent beach.
Conveniently located halfway along Sanur, this resort is long-established and away from the main road, so the tropical gardens, with Balinese-style fountains and statues, are extensive and tranquil enough to hear birds singing. The accommodations are unusually designed: some shaped like Balinese rice-barns with separate rooms upstairs and down, and others like old-fashioned homestays with doors facing a common patio. The spacious rooms are comfortable and feature traditional furnishings, but seem huddled together. In contrast, the bungalows are spread apart, with some hidden behind walls and private gardens. The beach is broad and shady, and there is a children’s pool and an enticing games area. However, this resort would be more suitable for families with older children.
Besakih Beach Hotel – The Location
- Area: Between the beach and road, in a pleasant area midway along Sanur. Plenty of facilities in all directions. The lobby is 50m+ back from the road.
- Address: Jl. Danau Tamblingan No. 45, Sanur. On the main road through Sanur, a more relaxed resort region in southern Bali.
- How to Get There: The only way to/from the airport is by metered taxi or chartered car with a driver. This takes about 25 minutes (15 km), depending on traffic.
- Handy to: Speedboats to Nusa Lembongan island and the Gili Islands. Golf course.
Besakih Beach Hotel – The Basics
- Guests: More popular with older couples and families with older children.
- Beach: The broad beach in front of the hotel is not private (like all beaches in Sanur), but it is shady and scenic, and there are no fishing boats spoiling the views.
- Views: Rooms are too far and too low to provide sea views, so they all face the gardens. Some bungalows are secluded behind walls overlooking private gardens.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided in a midrange hotel like this in Sanur.
- Parking: Enough free and secure parking spots inside the gate, but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +62 (0)361 288 423
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: besakihbeachhotel.com
Besakih Beach Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: A bridge between the gardens and beach passes over the main pool, which has a swim-up bar. A second pool is more popular with adults. A third is for children.
- Spa: Massages are available in a traditional-style hut near the beach.
- Fitness Center: Not expected or provided.
- For Families: Games Room with lounge chairs, chessboard, and snooker table.
- Other Facilities: Business Center. Guest lounge with library. Souvenir stall.
Besakih Beach Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Batu Bata Restaurant – Charming beachside setting. Popular with tourists from all over Sanur for hearty servings of Indonesian and Western food.
- Breakfast: Can be included, but depends on how the room was booked.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours of about 7 am to 8.30 pm.
Besakih Beach Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Room • Suite Classic Bungalow • Classic Bungalow • Standard Bungalow • Suite Bungalow • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is not permitted in the rooms or public areas, but is okay elsewhere.
- Best Room: The Suite Classic Bungalows are spacious and feature sitting areas and balconies with pleasant garden views.
- For Families: The 2-level bungalows with a bedroom on each floor are ideal for families, perhaps more so for those with older children. And some rooms have 3 beds.
Besakih Beach Hotel – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Walking around Sanur is more pleasant than most places in southern Bali. With flat roads and minimal traffic, cycling is also popular, and bikes can be rented from a few agencies on the main street. Walking and cycling are ideal along the beachside path that stretches over 6 km, almost the entire length of Sanur.
- Public Transport: Sanur is unique within southern Bali as local bemos (decrepit minivans with bench seats) ply the main street, but won’t go further north than the golf course. Fares are set, but are invariably inflated for tourists.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: Driving anywhere in Bali is not recommended, but renting a car is possible at agencies all over Sanur. Motorbikes are also easy to rent and useful for getting around Sanur – less so for elsewhere in southern Bali. Taxis are plentiful, cheap, and comfortable, and the best way to go anywhere in southern Bali. For longer trips, charter a car with a driver. This can be arranged at any travel agency or better, through the hotel.
- Shuttle Bus: To reach any town outside of southern Bali and and one that is popular with tourists (e.g. Ubud), buy a ticket at a travel agency for a shuttle bus. Some companies pick up guests from their hotels, but services for Perama, the only island-wide operator, leave from its inconvenient office on Jalan Hang Tuah on the other side of the golf course in northern Sanur (2 km). The Kura-Kura Bus company links Sanur with Ubud and the rest of southern Bali, but schedules are convoluted and routes confusing.
Besakih Beach Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
All places listed below are along the main street.
- The Wicked Parrot – 200m south for Irish-themed music, shady setting, and friendly service.
- The Porch Café – Quasi-1920’s décor for coffee, pastries, healthy sandwiches, tapas, and several vegetarian options. The burgers are big and the service, attentive. 200m south, opposite The Wicked Parrot.
- Three Monkeys – Attracts the same crowd night after night for wine, pizza, grills, salads, pasta, and funky live music. Just past The Porch.
- Retro Kitchen & Bar – Indonesian specials, desserts, pizza, and children’s menu in an attractive setting. About 100m past the Three Monkeys.
- The massive 18-hole Bali Beach Golf Course dominates northern Sanur, less than 2 km to the north.
- Jet-skiing and parasailing, among other fun activities, can be arranged at counters along the beach nearby, but the choice is better at Tanjung Benoa.