by Santorini Dave • Updated: May 15, 2019
See Also: The Best Hotels in Bali
Blu-Zea Resort by Double-Six – Inviting and unpretentious mid-range option in the heart of classy Seminyak.
Close to the beach and flanked by numerous bars, bistros, and boutiques, Blu-Zea is deceptively large. All rooms are in a building facing the pools and distant from the busy road. The modest furnishings are very comfortable, the Balinese décor is stylish, and plentiful traditional art adorns the walls. The balconies/patios also offer views of the tropical gardens which are small but tastefully designed. The two huge connecting lagoon-style pools are surrounded by distinctive striped chairs and even boast a sandy ‘beach’. Other welcome attractions include a sunken pool-bar, movie room, billiard table, and tennis court, and there are also some limited facilities for children.
Blu-Zea Resort by Double-Six – The Location
(Previously known as The Breezes Bali Resort & Spa.)
- Address: Close to the end of Jalan Camplung Tanduk street in the southern end of Seminyak, a more sophisticated tourist region of southern Bali.
- Area: Facing the main street, about 350m from the beach. Plenty of facilities all over, and more cafés and bars along the beach in both directions. Not as isolated as other resorts in Seminyak. The beach and facilities at Legian are accessible along a lovely beachside path to the south.
- How to Get There: The only way to/from the airport is by metered taxi or chartered car with a driver. This takes about 25 minutes (10km), depending on traffic.
- Handy to: All the facilities in Seminyak and Legian.
Blu-Zea Resort by Double-Six – The Basics
- Guests: Caters well for all types, and especially good for families with older children.
- Beach: About 350m from the public beach. The sand is greyer than Kuta and waves just as rough, so swim between the flags. Plenty of shady umbrellas and drink stalls.
- Views: All rooms face the pools.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at a mid-range hotel like this.
- Extras: A ‘departure lounge’ for late flights home or guests arriving before check-in time.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout the resort.
- Parking: Far more parking spots than other resorts on this road, but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (0)361 730 573
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: blu-zearesort.com
Blu-Zea Resort by Double-Six – Amenities
- Pool: Two huge connecting pools, both surrounded by lounge chairs with striped cushions. A swim-up bar, sandy ‘beach’, and children’s section.
- Spa: Within a tropical setting, the soothing The Spa provides a range of scrubs, massages, and facials. Try the 2-hour Chocolate Spa Treatment.
- Fitness Center: Overlooking the pools and gardens, it offers a wide range of equipment.
- For Families: The Kids Corner is a child-minding service rather than a kids club, and offers painting and computer games. Baby-sitting services also available.
- Activities: Snooker table. Ping pong. Tennis court. Cooking classes.
- Other Facilities: Private mini-cinema, with DVDs from the reception. Tour agency.
Blu-Zea Resort by Double-Six – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: The Beach Restaurant – Alongside the pool ‘beach’, where breakfast is served in the mornings, and other meals through the day. Long menu, hearty serves, and vibrant background music. • Sunken Pool Bar – For ice-cream, tapas, cocktails, and coffee. Popular for extended happy hours and animated bingo. • Coconut Bar – In a petite traditional hut specializing in signature cocktails, especially those made from coconut and pineapple.
- Breakfast: Usually included, but check when booking.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours a day.
Blu-Zea Resort by Double-Six – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Rooms • Deluxe Ground Floor Rooms • Junior Suites
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms, but permitted elsewhere in the resort.
- Best Room: The Junior Suites are sumptuous and feature king-sized beds and abundant full-length windows offering views of the pool ‘beach’.
- For Families: All rooms can fit in an extra single bed, but only a few have connecting doors.
Blu-Zea Resort by Double-Six – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Walkable to everything that Seminyak and Legian have to offer. Cycling around the main roads of Seminyak is increasingly problematic given the traffic, but pleasant along the backstreets and further south on the beachside path. Ask the reception about bike rentals.
- Public Transport: In lieu of any public transport, the Kura-Kura Bus company links Seminyak with Ubud and the rest of southern Bali, but schedules are convoluted and routes, confusing.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: To reach attractions within southern Bali, metered taxis are abundant, cheap, and comfortable. For longer distances, charter a car with a driver for a negotiable fare. Drivers hang about the streets, but it’s better to organize this through the resort. Driving a car is not recommended anywhere in Bali, but a few agencies offer rentals. Motorbikes are easy to arrange at local agencies and useful for getting around Seminyak/Legian – less so for elsewhere in southern Bali.
- Shuttle Bus: To reach another town outside of southern Bali, e.g. Ubud, buy a ticket at a travel agency for a shuttle bus. Some may pick up guests from their hotel, but services for the main island-wide operator, Perama, only leave from its office in Kuta.
Blu-Zea Resort by Double-Six – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Gigi’s Supreme Slice – By the slice, with seating inside or out. Alongside the resort entrance. 1-minute walk.
- Cendana Restaurant – Charming street-side café with old-style charm. For daily specials, snooker table, and happy hours. About 100m along the street towards the beach. 2-minute walk.
- Café Kami (0)361 731 516 – ‘Our Cafe’ provides an enchanting décor, friendly staff, and wide range of yummy meals. About 150m from the resort, away from the beach. 2-minute walk.
- Chez Gado Gado – One of Seminyak’s finest, with an elegant setting, live music, sophisticated menu, and inviting decor. Where the street meets the beach, 350m away. 4-minute walk.
- Bush Telegraph Pub – Character-filled saloon-style bar/café with a ‘crocodile’ at the entrance. Another 300m past Café Kami. 5-minute walk.
- Also, several adorable café/bars are a short walk south down the beachside path that starts at the end of the street. With tables and beanbags spread across the sand for sunsets, cocktails, and live music, the best are La Plancha (600m, 7-minute walk) and The Champlung (0)851 0096 3447 (650m, 8-minute walk).
- There are plenty of minimarts and classy boutiques along the main street. For a more varied selection of places to eat, drink, and shop, grab a taxi (2km) to the quaint Seminyak Square (16-minute drive) for bistros, bakeries, and bookshops, or to the world-class Beachwalk shopping center in Kuta about 3.5km away via the beachside path (28-minute drive).