The Blue House – Quaint, historic, and family-run, located in the depths of the Old City.
First opening its doors to westerners way back in 1968, The Blue House is one of the oldest guesthouses in the Old City still run by the original founding family. Along a decrepit alley, as is typical in the historical city, the very modest entrance belies the pleasingly spacious rooms spread over several levels. With its triple-layered rooftop terrace, this is the loftiest building in the immediate area, so some rooms – and certainly the rooftop area – provide superb views of the magnificent fort. Most rooms also feature private balconies and walls painted with Rajasthani legends. Coated in blue like most of the city, the guesthouse is not within the most appealing area of the Old City but is only a brief auto-rickshaw trip away from the fort and some decent cafés.
The Blue House – The Location
- Address: Near Moti Chowk market/junction in the central part of the Old City. Most drivers know The Blue House because it’s been around for so long.
- Area: In the Old City, with all the vibrancy (and chaos) that entails. Very easy to get lost, so take a business card with the hotel name and remember nearby landmarks.
- How to Get There: About 6 km (15-minute drive) from the airport. At the attractive (and low-key) terminal, there are pre-paid booths for taxis and auto-rickshaws, but note: taxis cannot enter this part of the Old City. The train terminal (1.5 km) and main bus station (2 km) are also quite convenient, and best accessed by auto-rickshaw.
- Handy to: Old City. Mehrangarh Fort.
The Blue House – The Basics
- Guests: Caters to independent travelers of all ages, but be wary of the steep and sometimes, rickety steps, which would NOT suit young children or anyone less able.
- Views: Being such a tall building, many rooms offer decent street views, while a couple are angled perfectly towards the fort.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Certainly not expected or provided at a historic inner-city guesthouse like this in Jodhpur.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)291 262 1396
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: bluehousejodhpur.com
The Blue House – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided.
- Other Facilities: Travel advice/bookings. Money-changing. Laundry.
The Blue House – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: The Mama’s Rooftop Restaurant offers superb views and an extended range of Indian (particularly Rajasthani), Chinese, and western meals (e.g. pizza). Guests have raved about the food here for years.
- Breakfast: Excellent a la carte breakfast included in most rates and served on the rooftop café.
- Room Service: Not available in a low-key guesthouse like this.
The Blue House – Rooms
- Room Types: 13 rooms called ‘suites’. Each are different and individually named. • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking anywhere on the premises.
- Best Room: Each room is different in theme and layout, but the finest would be those further up (i.e. away from traffic noise). The best of these offer views of the entire width of the fort.
- For Families: Some rooms could fit in 1 or 2 extra single beds, but the location and steep steps in the guesthouse are not recommended for young children.
The Blue House – Local Transport
- Walking: The Old City is fascinating to wander around, but there are no sidewalks, so pedestrians share the scarily narrow streets and alleys with maniacal motorcyclists and anarchic auto-rickshaw drivers. Watch out for huge piles of fresh cow dung.
- Public Transport: Nothing of use for tourists anywhere in Jodhpur.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: Taxis (unmetered) can be ordered through the guesthouse for day-trips, but can’t possibly enter the Old City. Auto-rickshaws are good enough for going anywhere in Jodhpur, and can be found around junctions in the Old City. Taxis and auto-rickshaws can also be ordered through the Ola and Uber apps.
The Blue House – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Nothing worthwhile within walking distance, so get an auto-rickshaw (600m) to Stepwell, an ancient pond and square, also known locally as ‘Tunwarji ka Jhalra’. These places are clustered together:
- Open House Cafe – Quaint, inviting, and directly overlooking Stepwell. For Indian, Chinese, and western meals. And beer available.
- The Stepwell Café – Along the same lane as the Open House. More spacious seating and loftier views, but a little pricey.
- Jharokha 360 – Rooftop of the incongruous modern building. Broad views and classy Indian food.
- RAAS – Multi-star hotel providing 2 restaurants: one casual alongside the pool, and the other more formal, on a higher level and facing the fort.
- Otherwise, try one of the 3 places inside the fort: Chokelao Garden Café (lunchtime buffets), Mehrangarh Fine Dining Evening Restaurant (spectacular, dinner only, and booking required), and Palki Café (snacks and drinks). (3.5 km).
Nearby Shops & Markets
- The overwhelming attraction is the magnificent Mehrangarh Fort that dominates the Old City. The main entrance is about 3 km by auto-rickshaw. Open daily from 9 am to 5 pm.
- Jaswant Thada – Also known as the Taj Mahal of Mewar, a marble marvel amidst lush, landscaped gardens and next to a serene lake. The intricate marble lattice screens as well as the city views are superb. Easily paired with a visit to the Mehrangarh Fort. 9 am to 5 pm.
- Umaid Bhawan Palace – An architectural marvel; one part of the palace still serves as a Royal Family residence, the rest has been converted to the Taj Hotel and museum. Only the museum is open to the public, and it’s very popular for the vintage car and clock collections and vast gardens with peacocks. Great spot for a romantic meal. 10 am to 4.30 pm. (5km).
- Mandore Garden – Historic garden, home to beautiful empty tombs of the Royal Family. The Hall of Heroes, temple of 330 Million Gods, and Government Museum are worth seeing. Visitors can also explore the Mandore Fort ruins or have a picnic on the grounds. Located just outside the city. (8 km).
The Blue House – The Hotel
All Jodhpur Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai