by Santorini Dave • Updated: February 5, 2019
Blue Moon Villas – Popular and secluded, but not too isolated, with tasteful Balinese décor.
The spacious villas feature enchanting Balinese touches, as well as an extensive balcony facing the sea. Pleasingly not huddled together, they overlook an infinity pool that is surrounded by palm trees and has edges that somehow blend into the azure horizon. The cheaper rooms layered up the hill on the other side of the road also offer superb views, while the café is breezy, popular, and lined with comfy cushions. There are a few eateries nearby, and steps just down the road lead to a beach, which is typical of Amed: scenic but rocky, with superb snorkeling just offshore.
Blue Moon Villas – The Location
- Address: Along Jalan Raya Amed, the only road in Bunutan village. Midway along the southern part of the laidback area known as Amed, which stretches about 10km along the east coast of Bali.
- Area: The hotel spreads along both sides of the road, with rooms climbing up the hill and villas on the clifftop facing the sea. A few classy eateries nearby, but in a less developed region.
- How to Get There: No taxi from the airport will come this far, so organize transfers by car through the hotel – which takes about 2.5 hours. Many people stop at Amed on the way to/from the Gili Islands, which is connected by speedboats run by Freebird Express and Gili Sea Express. Book at travel agencies at either end, or compare schedules and book online.
- Handy to: Snorkelling spots and scuba-diving agencies.
Blue Moon Villas – The Basics
- Guests: More suitable for couples than families. Perhaps, more younger guests in the rooms based around the café, and older guests in the secluded villas at the front.
- Beach: Amed is a chain of coves and cliffs, with rare beaches packed with rocks and boats. Only 50m down the road from the hotel entrance (just past Aquaterrace villas), steps lead to Selang Beach. The beach is typically scenic, but so rocky that it’s unsuitable for sunbathing or even walking. But perfect for snorkeling just offshore.
- Views: Villas at the front boast unobstructed sea views, while most rooms on the other side of the road also offer fine views, although often partially blocked by foliage.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Villas at the front face 3 separate pools, each shared by only 3 villas.
- Wi-Fi: Provided free for all guests throughout.
- Parking: No parking onsite, and think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (0)363 21428
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: bluemoonvillas.com
Blue Moon Villas – Amenities
- Pool: 4 pools. The one alongside the café provides views and breezes, and is surrounded by attractive decking and lounge chairs. The others are smaller, with infinity-edges, and for the exclusive use of the 3 clusters of 3 villas.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of resort in Amed.
- Activities: Snooker table. Library. Games.
Blue Moon Villas – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Renowned for the ocean views and congenial setting with cushions, Komang John’s Cafe is a local institution. Surprisingly upmarket cuisine, but still reasonably priced, and live music most nights.
- Breakfast: Usually included in the rates, depending on the booking.
- Room Service: Not available.
Blue Moon Villas – Rooms
- Room Types: Blue Angel Deluxe Oceanfront Villa, Suite, or Penthouse • Blue Paradise Deluxe Ocean View Villa, Suite, or Penthouse • Blue Paradise Mountain View Family Suite • Blue Star Penthouse and Apartment • Blue Ocean Villa • Blue Villa • Blue Star 2-Bedroom Penthouse • Blue Star 3-Bedroom Villa
- Smoking Rooms: Permitted anywhere outside the rooms and eating areas.
- Best Room: The Blue Angel Deluxe Oceanfront Penthouse is extraordinary, with a broad balcony that seems to hover over the sea. Unparalleled views, and very romantic setting and décor ideal for honeymooners.
- For Families: Most villas, suites, and apartments can fit in 1 extra single bed, while the Blue Paradise Mountain View Family Suite is ideal: comfortably accommodating 5, with a private pool. And some villas have 3 bedrooms.
Blue Moon Villas – Local Transport
- Note: All cars/buses enter Amed from the north (via Culik) because the road from the south (via Ujung) is too windy, narrow, and steep for anything but motorbikes.
- Walking: Amed is spread out, and the road often steep, so be prepared for a lot of walking.
- Public Transport & Shuttle Bus: No reliable public transport anywhere through Amed. Perama, the main operator of tourist shuttle buses throughout Bali, offers a couple of services daily to Kuta via Padangbai and Ubud – but, inconveniently, leaves from northern Amed. Other local companies connect to Lovina. Get shuttle bus tickets through the hotel or a nearby travel agency.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: No metered taxis anywhere, so charter a car with a driver through the hotel or a travel agency. Renting a motorbike is a terrific way to explore the east coast. Nowhere to rent a car, which is not recommended anyway because of the condition of local roads.
Blue Moon Villas – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Aquaterrace – Next door, for classy décor and a menu specializing in Japanese. 1-minute walk.
- Good Karma Restaurant [(0)813 3753 1133] – Shady and beachfront, accessible by road (400m downhill) or more scenically, via the beachside path. 6-minute walk.
- Within a short stroll down the road are 3 more options:
- Green Melon Warung – Typically Amed: raised, tiny, and friendly, with tasty seafood and other Indonesian dishes. 3-minute walk.
- My Place Bar & Restaurant – Perfect for trying authentic Balinese food. 4-minute walk.
- Imbuh – On a peak in the road. Limited menu, but some of the finest views in Bali. 7-minute walk.
- Minimart about 300m down the road. Otherwise, almost nowhere in Amed to shop. 4-minute walk.
- Amed is not close to anything, which is part of the attraction. But the main reason many come here is for snorkeling, accessible just offshore at nearby Selang Beach, and scuba-diving, which can be arranged at any of the numerous agencies dotted along Amed.