Chez Nono – Modest seaside guesthouse with a convenient position and cute beach.
There are two types of accommodations on adjoining blocks: a cluster of quaint traditional-style bungalows above the water or on the sand facing the sea, and rooms in a wooden building. The latter – some with two bedrooms – feature a likable tropical décor. Advantages are the congenial lounge area and shared kitchen with the best views in the whole place, the enchanting beach with classy outdoor furniture, and proximity to a water-sports center (surprisingly, the only one in the area).
Chez Nono – The Basics
- Location: Poorly signed, about 100m down the lane from the main road at Matira in the southern end of the main island. A 1-minute walk from the entrance to the InterContinental, about 7 km from the main town Vaitape, and 30 minutes by boat and taxi from the airport.
- Guests: Appeals mostly to budget-minded couples.
- Beach: Small but pretty, with shallow and calm water ideal for children.
- Views: 1 bungalow is raised above the sea with perfect views, and 1 room has unobstructed views of the ocean. Views from other rooms and bungalows are obstructed by trees.
- WiFi: No WiFi.
- Parking: Nothing on-site, but easy enough to park securely outside.
- How to Book: Book directly through the hotel website.
- Phone: (689) 8940 0660
- Email: Use the contact form on the website.
- Website: cheznonoborabora.com
Chez Nono – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of low-key guesthouse.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Chez Nono – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Nothing on-site, but a few options close by.
- Breakfast: No breakfast.
- Room Service: Not expected or provided.
Chez Nono – Rooms
- Room Types: Round Bungalows with 1 bedroom • Villas, some with 2 bedrooms
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is allowed in the grounds, but not in the rooms.
- Best Room: Facilities in the single Round Bungalow directly above the sea are modest, but it does provide the sort of views a resort would charge the earth for.
Chez Nono – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
As well as the classy restaurant and bar at the InterContinental on the other side of the lane, several eateries are within walking distance.
- The Lucky House (40 67 68 08) – About 150m away, at the top of the laneway to Chez Nono. Poolside and bistro-style, with wood-fired pizzas and a children’s menu.
- Roulotte Matira – Burgers, crêpes, fish, and steaks in a quaint setting with a few tables, but mostly for takeaway. Hit-and-miss opening hours. Opposite The Lucky House.
- Restaurant Matira Beach (87 79 47 04) – Classy and costly for French cuisine with Polynesian and Japanese influences. Family-friendly and beach access. Reservations recommended and free transfers. 500m to the northwest.
- Snack Matira (40 67 77 32) – Heavenly beachfront position about 900m to the northwest. Unassuming meals with plastic tables.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- A small shop selling basic supplies is opposite The Lucky House.
- There is no public transport anywhere on Bora Bora. Taxis (unmetered) can be organized through the guesthouse, but rates are extortionate, which is why many visitors hire a car, scooter, or bicycle – and the road is flat all the way to Vaitape (7 km).