Updated: September 8, 2018
Oa Oa Lodge – Modest, oceanfront, next to a yacht club, and convenient to town facilities.
This bundle of bungalows squeezed between the road and beach is only about 1km from Viatape, the island’s only town. Each bungalow is lovingly furnished, with a decent-sized veranda. Those nearest the road could suffer from traffic noise (which is fairly minimal), while some are perched above the water for perfect views and endless breezes. All are packed tightly together, however, and there are no gardens, but the pool facing the sea is attractive, and the lodge is conveniently alongside a yacht club with a classy waterside restaurant/bar. There is no beach in front, but swimming is possible from a few spots nearby.
Oa Oa Lodge – The Basics
- Location: Along the road on the northern outskirts of Vaitape, the only town on the main island. About 1.3km from the terminal for boats to the airport; 8.5km from Matira, the main beach region; and 20 minutes by boat and taxi from the airport.
- Guests: Caters mainly for couples, and probably more suitable for younger people.
- Beach: Faces the sea, but no beach in front. There are a few unexciting places to swim along the main road nearby. Otherwise, head to Matira, about 8.5km away.
- Views: A few bungalows directly face the sea, with perfect views, but most face the back of these lucky few.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Available for guests at a reasonable charge.
- Parking: A few places along the road facing the entrance to the yacht club, but security cannot be guaranteed.
- Phone: (689) 87 72 45 49
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: No website, but a Facebook page.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Oa Oa Lodge – Amenities
- Pool: The attractive pool is shared by guests of the yacht club and restaurant/bar, so always busy and noisy.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at a lodge of this size and standard.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Oa Oa Lodge – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The finest place to eat outside the Matira beach region is the MaiKai Restaurant (http://www.maikaimarina.com/index.php/restaurant). This classy, waterside bistro/bar offering French and Polynesian cuisine is part of the yacht club that adjoins the lodge. It offers live music and decent happy hours and is, unusually, open Sundays.
- Breakfast: Not provided, or available from the restaurant at the yacht club next door.
- Room Service: Not expected or provided.
Oa Oa Lodge – Rooms
- Room Types: Bungalows with sea views or ‘garden views’ (which mostly means those facing the back of bungalows with sea views).
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed anywhere in or near the rooms, so head out onto the footpath for a puff.
- Best Room: Ask for a bungalow facing the sea, and as far as possible from the bistro, bar and pool, which are all noisy.
Oa Oa Lodge – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Le Panda d’Or (40 67 62 81) – affordable and popular Chinese cuisine, with huge serves. Some wines and beers also available. Almost opposite Saint James. 6-minute walk.
- Restaurant Saint James (40 67 64 62) – cocktails, sunsets, seafood, and waterside tables. Also, extensive list of wines and desserts. About 500m along the road towards the village center. 7-minute walk.
- Snack Lolo – a little further past Le Panda for affordable stir-fries, burgers and crêpes. Conveniently open early for breakfast.
- Aloe Cafe (40 67 78 88) – popular expat hangout for salads, pasta and pastries, as well as beer and breakfast. (Not at the same time.) Opposite the church in the middle of Vaitape. 14-minute walk.
- Chez Pam – 1 of several very casual street-side options; basically a caravan selling pizzas and burgers. About 200m further away from Vaitape.
- Market or Grocery: 2 supermarkets with a surprisingly good selection are in Vaitape about 500m away. Chin Lee’s is open on Sundays.
There is no public transport anywhere on Bora Bora. Taxis (unmetered) can be organized through the lodge but rates are extortionate. Otherwise, rent a bicycle, car or scooter to reach Matira (8.5km and flat), but it’s walkable to the centre of Vaitape and terminal for boat transfers to the airport.
Oa Oa Lodge – The Hotel
- Best Hotels in Bora Bora
- Best Family Hotels in Bora Bora
- Chez Nono – Review
- Fare Rohivai – Review
- Hôtel Matira – Review
- InterContinental Bora Bora Le Moana Resort – Review
- Hôtel Maitai Polynesia Bora Bora – Review
- Rohotu Fare Lodge – Review
- Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach Resort – Review
- Sunset Hill Lodge – Review
- Village Temanuata – Review