Oa Oa Lodge – Modest, oceanfront, next to a yacht club, and convenient to town facilities.
This bundle of bungalows squeezed between the road and beach is only about a kilometer from Vaitape, the island’s only town. Each bungalow is lovingly furnished with a decent-sized patio. Those nearest the road could suffer from traffic noise (which is fairly minimal), while some are perched above the water for perfect views and endless breezes. All are packed tightly together, however, and there are no gardens, but the pool facing the sea is attractive and the lodge is conveniently alongside a yacht club with a classy waterside restaurant/bar. There is no beach in front, but swimming is possible from a few spots nearby.
Oa Oa Lodge – The Basics
- Location: Along the road on the northern outskirts of Vaitape, the only town on the main island. About 1.3 km from the terminal for boats to the airport, 8.5 km from the main beach region of Matira, and 20 minutes by boat and taxi from the airport.
- Guests: Caters mainly for couples and probably more suitable for younger people.
- Beach: Faces the sea, but no beach in front. There are a few unexciting places to swim along the main road nearby. Otherwise, head to Matira, about 8.5 km away.
- Views: A few bungalows directly face the sea, with perfect views, but most face the back of these lucky few.
- WiFi: Available for a reasonable charge.
- Parking: A few places along the road facing the entrance to the yacht club, but security cannot be guaranteed.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (689) 8772 4549
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: Facebook page
Oa Oa Lodge – Amenities
- Pool: The attractive pool is always busy and noisy.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at a lodge of this size and standard.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Oa Oa Lodge – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: No restaurant on-site.
- Breakfast: Not provided.
- Room Service: Not expected or provided.
Oa Oa Lodge – Rooms
- Room Types: Bungalows with sea views or ‘garden views’ (which mostly means those facing the back of bungalows with sea views).
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed anywhere in or near the rooms, so head out onto the sidewalk for a puff.
- Best Room: Ask for a bungalow facing the sea and as far as possible from the bistro, bar, and pool, which are all noisy.
Oa Oa Lodge – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Restaurant St James (40 67 64 62) – Cocktails, sunsets, seafood, and waterside tables. Also, extensive list of wines and desserts. About 500m along the road towards the village center.
- Le Panda d’Or (40 67 62 81) – Affordable and popular Chinese cuisine, with huge serves. Some wines and beers also available. Almost opposite St James.
- Snack Lolo – A little further past Le Panda for affordable stir-fries, burgers, and crêpes. Conveniently open early for breakfast.
- Aloe Cafe (40 67 78 88) – Popular expat hangout for salads, pasta, and pastries, as well as beer and breakfast. (Not at the same time.) Opposite the church in the middle of Vaitape.
- Chez Pam – One of several very casual street-side options; basically a caravan selling pizzas and burgers. About 200m further away from Vaitape.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Two supermarkets with a surprisingly good selection are in Vaitape about 500m away. Chin Lee’s is open on Sundays.
- There is no public transport anywhere on Bora Bora. Taxis (unmetered) can be organized through the lodge, but rates are extortionate. Otherwise, rent a bicycle, car, or scooter to reach Matira (8.5km and flat), but it’s walkable to the center of Vaitape and terminal for boat transfers to the airport.