• Location: Wharf Street, in the center of downtown Cairns, close to the esplanade.
• Hotel website: all.accor.com
• Hotel phone: +61 (0)7 4030 8888
• Check prices for Pullman Reef Hotel Casino
Pullman Reef Hotel Casino – So convenient, quiet, and luxurious – much more than just a casino hotel.
The overall décor and design are likably old-fashioned and chic, and the Pullman is as vibrant and colorful as expected of a hotel with a casino in the tropics. All accommodations are sizable and feature a tropical design and spa baths, while the corner suites with wrap-around balconies offer some of Cairns’ finest views. As well as the large pool and gym, there are also (within the unmistakable dome above the casino) Cairns ZOOM, for zip-lining, and the Wildlife Dome, packed with Australian animals and birds. Within a minute’s walk are the Tourist Information Centre and a shady park with an adventure playground – but, of course, some stay mainly for the casino.
Pullman Reef Hotel Casino – The Location
Address: 35-41 Wharf Street. (Wharf Street soon becomes the Esplanade as it heads northwest along the sea, away from the cruise-ship terminal.) The hotel is also accessible via an entrance to the casino along Abbott Street.
- How to Get There: The only option to/from the Cairns Airport (7km) is by Cairns Taxis. See below for information about buses and trains.
- Handy to: Casino. Terminal for boat trips around the Great Barrier Reef.
Area: Quietly positioned within the more tourist-oriented section of the city center. Close to all the amenities and attractions in downtown and alongside the water.
Pullman Reef Hotel Casino – The Basics
- Guests: As well as those who enjoy the casino, the Pullman attracts families and couples on holidays as well as business people.
- Pets: Not permitted.
- Views: Most rooms feature balconies overlooking the city streets and/or park across the road, with the mountains or sea in the background.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Each room has a spa bath, which is not a jacuzzi but rather a bathtub with water spouts.
- Parking: Self and valet parking for a fee indoors and out.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +61 (0)7 4030 8888
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: all.accor.com
Pullman Reef Hotel Casino – Amenities
- Pool: Outdoor and large, with jacuzzi attached. On the rooftop, so the views are impressive.
- Spa: Not provided, but not unexpected for a hotel in the city center.
- Fitness Center: Good size, with all the latest gear. Sauna attached.
- The Reef Hotel Casino: This self-described ‘boutique casino’ is not as large as some, but offers more than enough to satisfy. Everyone can enjoy the entertainment and well-priced meals and drinks inside.
- Wildlife Dome: Remarkably, within the curved roof of the casino is a collection of koalas and birds, and even a crocodile, within an indoor rainforest. Perfect chance for guests (and the public) to admire some unique wildlife without leaving the city.
- Cairns ZOOM: Sharing the same space as all the birds within the Wildlife Dome (see above), these rope-courses and zip-lines (including one over the crocodile enclosure) are very popular.
- For Families: Baby-sitting. Wildlife Dome and Cairns ZOOM.
- Other Facilities: Laundry/dry-cleaning. Cash machine. Currency exchange. Beauty/hairdressing salon. Business center. Tours arranged.
Pullman Reef Hotel Casino – Food and Drink
These places are within the hotel or casino complex.
- Restaurants: Tamarind Restaurant – award-winning Asian cuisine with the freshest possible ingredients, an extended wine list, and excellent service. Only open for dinner and bookings recommended. Entrance along Abbott Street. • Flinders Bar & Grill – popular bistro inside the casino offering tempting daily specials, including mouth-watering steaks. • Merchant Artisan Food & Coffee – relaxing meeting spot with comfy seating. Open for breakfast and lunch, but closes earlier on weekends. • Café China Seafood Restaurant – spacious, long-established, and award-winning restaurant offering yum cha and super-fresh seafood. Also, an extra-long wine list and impeccable service. • Café China Noodle Bar – inside the beautifully converted former Customs House. More than just noodles, it’s great value and takeaway is available.
- Bars: Lihou Bar – cocktails, extended wine list, and happy hours from late afternoon to the very early morning. Mainly for those gambling. • Casino Sports Arena – on the second floor, it offers endless international sports and free movies on mega-screens, enhanced by a state-of-the-art sound system and plush seats. • BAR36 – at the casino entrance and open from late afternoon. Chic place to socialize. Meals available and live music most nights.
- Breakfast: Available for an extra cost, but can be included depending on the type of room and how it was booked.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours.
Pullman Reef Hotel Casino – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior Rooms • Deluxe Rooms • Junior Suites • Exclusive Suites • Presidential Suites • List of all rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Unusually, smoking is allowed, but only on the balconies of rooms on the third floor.
- Best Room: The top-of-the-range Presidential Suites feature balconies alongside the many floor-to-ceiling windows, as well as spa baths and particularly spacious living areas.
- For Families: All rooms and suites can fit in extra single beds. Otherwise, book 2 rooms with connecting doors.
Pullman Reef Hotel Casino – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Cairns is so compact and wonderful for walking. Cycling is also popular along a path that extends about 3km alongside the water. Bikes can be rented at Cairns Electric Bikes, opposite the Wharf Street entrance to the casino.
- Buses: Services operated by Sunbus head to the lovely tropical beaches less than an hour away. The most convenient bus station is along Lake Street (700m). Greyhound Australia offers buses all over Queensland and the rest of Australia from near the Reef Fleet Terminal (300m).
- Trains: Running between Cairns and Brisbane 5 times a week, the Spirit of Queensland is one of Australia’s most spectacular train services. Just as amazing – and far shorter – are the daily trips on the Kuranda Scenic Railway. All trains use the terminal (1km) attached to the Cairns Central shopping center (see below).
- Taxis & Ride-shares: Best to book ahead for Cairns Taxis. Uber also operates as far as Port Douglas.
- Car Rental: Most internationally-known agencies (and several locally-run ones) offer rentals, including Avis and Hertz.
- Boats: All sorts of boats for sightseeing, diving, fishing, and sailing depart from the Reef Fleet Terminal just 300m away. Book online, at any travel agency in downtown, or at the official booking office opposite the terminal.
Pullman Reef Hotel Casino – What’s Nearby?
Almost every restaurant and café in Cairns is licensed to serve alcohol.
Best Nearby Restaurants
- Wharf One – delightfully set along the wharf 150m away, it offers light meals, tapas, and all sorts of drinks from early morning. Fabulous spot to watch the cruise ships come and go.
- Hemingway’s Brewery Cairns Wharf – magnificent position in a heritage-listed building alongside the cruise-ship terminal (200m). Vast amount of seating inside and out, extensive menu, and a famous micro-brewery.
- Dundee’s Restaurant on the Waterfront – one of several along a boardwalk barely 200m from the hotel. Waterside tables and top-class service for seafood, steaks, pastas, and salads. Another outlet attached to the Cairns Aquarium (see below) has a wall alongside a tank of marine life.
- Boatshed – another gorgeous waterside bistro alongside Dundee’s. Focuses on seafood and especially popular for set-priced lunches.
- Bushfire Flame Grill – award-winning Brazilian-inspired restaurant where waiters slice off as much meat as wanted from giant skewers. 200m along Wharf Street.
Best Nearby Bars
- Barrier Reef Hotel – classic old-style Aussie pub in a heritage-listed building. So likably different to the resort bars. Good-value meals and friendly staff. Less than 200m along Abbott Street.
- Rattle ‘N Hum – as popular with locals as tourists for its esplanade setting, garden seating, and daily specials (especially pizzas). About 400m along Wharf Street (which becomes the Esplanade).
- About 200m along Abbott Street is the major Woolworths supermarket. About 500m via Abbott Street are the Cairns Night Markets. Open every day, with souvenir stalls (from 5pm) and cafés (from 10am), they are a bit of a tourist trap. More vibrant is the Asian-style Rusty’s Markets (open from early, Friday to Sunday), 600m from the hotel. Mostly fresh produce, but also souvenirs, live music, and food court. The massive Cairns Central shopping center is 1km via Spence Street.
- Boat trips – from the Reef Fleet Terminal (300m), all sorts of organized trips are available – whether diving/snorkeling, fishing, sailing, water-sports, or whale-watching among the most extraordinary coral reefs on the planet. Others just swim, snorkel, hike, or dine at Fitzroy Island or Green Island – both only 45 minutes one-way by boat.
- Lagoon – in lieu of any beaches in the city, this massive open-air swimming pool is 400m away, along the Esplanade. Surrounded by shady lawns with free barbecue facilities. Open from about 6am to 9pm daily. Free entry.
- Cairns Aquarium – the city’s newest attraction is about 1km via Abbott Street. Among the 15,000 marine creatures are giant sawfish, hammerhead sharks, and turtles, as well as crocs, frogs, and snakes unique to the region. Open daily.
- Beaches – some will be disappointed that the coastline within Cairns is swampy and muddy. Thankfully, perfect tropical beaches – Trinity Beach, Kewarra Beach, and Palm Cove – all with plenty of places to eat, drink, shop, and stay can be found within an hour north by local bus. Note the warning signs about stingers (jellyfish) and even crocodiles.
Pullman Reef Hotel Casino – The Hotel
All Cairns Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Brisbane
- Best Family Hotels in Brisbane
- Where to Stay in Brisbane
- Best Time to Visit Brisbane
- Melbourne Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Melbourne
- Best Hotels for Families in Melbourne
- Where to Stay in Melbourne
- Best Time to Visit Melbourne
- Best Hotels in Perth
- Best Hotels for Families in Perth
- Where to Stay in Perth
- Best Time to Visit Perth