Home > Alt Hotel Calgary East Village Review
Updated: March 4, 2020
Alt Hotel Calgary East Village – Affordable luxury in trendy East Village.
The recently built Alt Hotel by Le Germain is a boutique eco-hotel in Calgary’s revitalized East Village offering spectacular views of the Bow River. This historic area is undergoing a huge transformation where hip eateries, several live music venues, and attractions like the new Central Library and Studio Bell, home of the National Musical Centre are just a few blocks away. The hotel also has superb access to RiverWalk along the edges of the Bow and Elbow rivers and is also close to downtown – just a short walk to Stephen Avenue Walk. The rooms are compact but comfortable with modern amenities, free Wi-Fi, and contemporary design; the dark-colored walls and ceilings give a sleek and dramatic vibe.
Alt Hotel Calgary East Village – Location
- Address: 635 Confluence Way SE, Calgary T2G 0G1.
- Area: Corner of Confluence Way SE and 6th Avenue SE in East Village. Three blocks to Studio Bell and a short walk to all downtown attractions, including Stephen Avenue Walk and Calgary Tower.
- How To Get There: Nearest CTrain station is City Hall (0.4 mile, 9-minute walk). Note: The downtown CTrain corridor along 7th Avenue is free (no fare required 24/7) and leashed dogs can travel on the CTrain for free.
- Handy To: Calgary Tower, Stephen Avenue Walk, RiverWalk, Prince’s Island Park, CORE Shopping Centre.
Alt Hotel Calgary East Village – The Basics
- Ages: Guests of all ages are welcome and children under 12 stay for free. Cribs and board games available on request.
- Pet Policy: Pets are allowed for a one-time fee of CA$30. Only 1 pet per room.
- View: North-facing rooms overlook the Bow River and south-facing ones, the East Village neighborhood.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: No private pools or jacuzzis.
- Laundry: Dry-cleaning services available.
- Wi-Fi: Complimentary Wi-Fi.
- Parking: Indoor public parking for a daily rate. Tesla charging stations.
- Extras: Yoga mats, Chromecast devices, and Keurig coffee machines in all rooms.
- When To Book: Book 3-4 months in advance, especially for the Calgary Stampede.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: 587-441-6635
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: althotels.com
Alt Hotel Calgary East Village – Amenities
Alt Hotel Calgary East Village – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Chix Eggshop – “Fast-fine diner” with countertop service, open for breakfast and lunch. Craft beverages, cocktails, and vegan and gluten-free options. ● Nupo – Upscale Japanese restaurant known for its sushi and vegetarian/vegan dishes. Offers Calgary’s first hand-serviced Omakase Sushi Experience (by reservation). Open for dinner only.
- Bar/Lounge: Chix Eggshop and Nupo both serve cocktails.
- Breakfast: No complimentary breakfast. Grab’n go snacks can be purchased in the lobby.
- Room Service: No room service.
Alt Hotel Calgary East Village – Rooms
- Room Types: King Bed Room ● Corner King Bed Room ● Two Queen Bed Room
- Smoking Rooms: The hotel is 100% smoke-free.
- Best Room: The Corner King Bed Room is the most spacious.
- For Families: Children under 12 stay for free. Cribs, baby linen, and board games available on request. No adjoining rooms but the Queen Room has 2 double beds.
Alt Hotel Calgary East Village – What’s Nearby
Recommended Nearby Tours
- Calgary Downtown Intro Walking Tour – Excellent walking tour of Calgary’s downtown and its history, public art, sculptures, +15 skywalk system, and Chinatown. Starting point: Calgary Municipal Plaza (0.6 mile, 11-minute walk).
- Xploring Calgary Bus Tour – Very interesting and informative bus tour (passenger van, 12 guests) of Canada Olympic Park, Lougheed House, Stampede Park, Fort Calgary, and downtown Calgary. Starting point: Calgary Tower (0.8 mile, 16-minute walk).
- Stampede Art and Wild West Walking Tour – This excellent walking tour highlights Calgary Stampede’s history, the wall murals and sculptures on the Stampede grounds, chuckwagon races, and the rodeo. Starting point: Stampede Gate inside Stampede Grounds (1 mile, 21-minute walk).
Best Nearby Restaurants
- Charbar – Across the street from Alt Hotel. Upscale restaurant focused around its Argentine wood-fired grill and located in the magnificently-restored historic Simmons building. 1-minute walk (100m).
- King Eddy – Originally built in 1905, this restaurant and bar has been painstakingly restored to its original glory. Part of Studio Bell, it features the Rolling Stones Mobile Recording Studio and live music every night. 9-minute walk (0.4 mile).
Best Nearby Cafés
- Phil & Sebastian – Also located in the Simmons building. They are proudly coffee-obsessed and brew fresh coffee right in front of the customers. 1-minute walk (100m).
- Sidewalk Citizen Bakery – Serves an excellent range of organic sourdough bread, pastries, sandwiches, soups, and salads. Located in the Simmons building. 1-minute walk (100m).
Best Nearby Bar
Nearby Shopping & Cool Shops
- Stephen Avenue Walk – Pedestrian mall that’s an energetic mix of retail, historical, and cultural destinations – all located on 8 Avenue SW, between 4 Street SW and 1 Street SE.13-minute walk (0.6 mile).
- CORE Shopping Centre – 140+ stores spanning several city blocks, including the flagship stores of Holt Renfrew, Harry Rosen, Simons, and The Bay. Home to the Devonian Gardens. Weekends: Free parking for the first 3 hours (starting at mall opening) and a CA$2 flat rate applies thereafter. Weekdays: Free parking after 3 pm. Valet parking is complimentary, however parking fare (for stall) will still apply. 21-minute walk (1 mile).
- Studio Bell, National Music Centre – Museum of instruments and memorabilia with interactive exhibits for all ages. Test how good your singing really is in the sound booth, play various instruments, and tour the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio. Tons of cool artifacts. Some fun exhibits for the kids in the Bodyphonic gallery, especially where the room is the instrument and you see sound move as you use your hands and feet to control the tone. The kids love this one. 8-minute walk (0.4 mile).
- Calgary Tower – Observation tower offering fantastic 360-degree views of the city. For the brave, there is an area with a glass floor looking straight down. Also a restaurant/lounge which offers a full rotating view of the city as it revolves once every 45 minutes during lunchtime and every hour during dinner service. Tip: Your elevation fare is complimentary when you order an entrée from the restaurant. 16-minute walk (0.8 mile).
- Devonian Gardens – The top level of CORE shopping center is home to Devonian Gardens, a large and popular indoor botanical garden with a children’s play area. 22-minute walk (1 mile).
- Prince’s Island Park – Beautiful and popular island park with picnic spots and several gardens, and also where several festivals are held, including Canada Day celebrations and Calgary Folk Festival. The only way to get to the island is via one of the many pedestrian bridges. The bike and pedestrian Peace Bridge nearby is an architectural marvel. 23-minute walk (1.2 miles).
Nearby Markets or Grocery Stores
- East Calgary General Store – Small store selling all the basics. 5-minute walk (0.2 mile).
- Sunterra Market Keynote – Grocery store with gourmet cafeteria-style self-serve, including a coffee bar, large salad bar, and a variety of ready-made meals. 3rd-floor restaurant, MARKETBar, is a full-service bar/restaurant offering a rooftop patio with city views. 19-minute walk (1 mile).
- Safeway – Large supermarket with deli, bakery, and on-site Starbucks. 7-minute drive (2 miles).
Alt Hotel Calgary East Village – The Hotel
All Calgary Hotel Reviews
- Calgary Marriott Downtown
- Delta Hotels Calgary Downtown
- Fairfield Inn & Suites
- Fairmont Palliser
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Calgary Downtown
- Hotel Arts
- Hotel Arts Kensington
- Hotel Elan
- Hyatt Regency Calgary
- Pomeroy Kananaskis Mountain Lodge
- Le Germain Hotel
- Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
- The Westin Calgary