Home > Hotel Elan Review
Updated: March 9, 2020
Hotel Elan – Good-value comfort in a convenient downtown location.
This boutique hotel, which has been converted from an apartment building and is set in a residential neighborhood, gives a cozy feeling of a home away from home. Rooms are clean, spacious, and comfortable and feature heated bathroom floors and heated toilet seats. A complimentary hot and cold continental breakfast is available in a diner-style breakfast space which includes an outdoor patio. And it’s located just steps from 17th Avenue, the trendy and hip area known for its dynamic restaurants, unique shops, coffee houses, and vibrant nightlife.
Hotel Elan – Location
- Address: 1122 16th Avenue SW, Calgary T2R 0T6.
- Area: Corner of 11th Street SW and 16th Avenue SW. One block from the hip and trendy 17th Avenue 2-minute walk (150m).
- How To Get There: Nearest CTrain station is Downtown West Kerby (7th Avenue, 0.7 mile, 14-minute walk). Note: The downtown CTrain corridor along 7th Avenue is free (no fare required 24/7).
- Handy To: Calgary Tower, Stephen Avenue Walk, CORE Shopping Centre.
Hotel Elan – The Basics
- Ages: Guests of all ages are welcome and one crib and one playpen are available on request.
- Pet Policy: No pets allowed.
- View: North rooms offer city views and south rooms overlook 17th Avenue.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: No private pools or jacuzzis.
- Wi-Fi: Complimentary Wi-Fi.
- Parking: Heated underground parking for CA$20 per night.
- Laundry: Laundry and dry-cleaning services.
- Extras: Free long-distance calling worldwide (to 75 countries). Heated bathroom floors and heated toilet seats. Sedan service. In-room safes and Keurig coffee machines in all rooms and suites.
- When To Book: Book 3-4 months in advance, especially for the Calgary Stampede (10 days in early July) and Global Petroleum Show (3 days in June). Bookings are 100% non-refundable during these periods.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: 403-229-2040
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: hotelelan.ca
Hotel Elan – Amenities
- Pool: No pool.
- Spa: No spa.
- Fitness Center: Small but well-equipped.
- For Disabled Guests: No accessible rooms.
Hotel Elan – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: No restaurant. Complimentary breakfast is served in the Orchid Room every morning.
- Bar/Lounge: No bar.
- Breakfast: Complimentary hot and cold continental breakfast, including fruits, cereals, and Cobbs bread. Menu changes daily. Outdoor patio available.
- Room Service: No room service.
Hotel Elan – Rooms
- Room Types: Alpine King/Queen Room ● Aurora Room ● Cascade King/Queen 1 Bedroom Suite ● Vista King 1 Bedroom Suite ● Energizer 2 Bedroom Suite ● Serenity 2 Bedroom Suite
- Smoking Rooms: The hotel is 100% smoke-free.
- Best Room: The 2 Bedroom Suites are the most spacious and come with private balconies, separate bathtubs, and full kitchens (no ovens). 1 Bedroom Suites have partial kitchens and balconies, but no bathtubs.
- For Families: The suites can sleep 4 people each. There are no adjoining rooms.
Hotel Elan – What’s Nearby
Recommended Nearby Tours
- Xploring Calgary Bus Tour – Very interesting and informative bus tour (passenger van, 12 guests) of Canada Olympic Park, Lougheed House, Stampede Park, Fort Calgary, and downtown Calgary. Starting point: Calgary Tower (1.5 miles, 6-minute drive).
- Calgary Downtown Intro Walking Tour – Excellent walking tour of Calgary’s downtown and its history, public art, sculptures, +15 skywalk system, and Chinatown. Starting point: Calgary Municipal Plaza (1.8 miles, 8-minute drive).
- Stampede Art and Wild West Walking Tour – This excellent walking tour highlights Calgary Stampede’s history, the wall murals and sculptures on the Stampede grounds, chuckwagon races, and the rodeo. Starting point: Stampede Gate inside Stampede Grounds (2 miles, 9-minute drive).
Best Nearby Restaurants
- The Coup – Ethical vegetarian restaurant focusing on organic, local, and made-from-scratch foods and drinks. Small outdoor patio. 5-minute walk (0.2 mile).
- Una Pizza & Wine – Trendy and lively spot serving delicious and creative thin-crust pizzas. Often busy during peak dinner hours; while waiting for a table, check out the romantic and cozy Frenchie Wine Bar located at the back of the restaurant. There is a dog-friendly outdoor patio as well. 11-minute walk (0.6 mile).
- Posto Pizzeria & Bar – Cozy and casual in a rustic atmosphere with a wine bar. Open-flamed pizza oven and some inspired pizzas. Small outdoor patio. 13-minute walk (0.6 mile).
- Bonterra Trattoria – Next to Posto Pizzeria. Casual Italian fare in a Tuscan-style décor. Beet salad is outstanding and so is the beautiful outdoor patio. 14-minute walk (0.7 mile).
- Red’s Diner – Casual, homey diner with friendly service, open for breakfast and lunch. Famous for their Eggs Benedict. 17-minute walk (0.8 mile).
- Native Tongues Taqueria – Rustic and upscale cantina known for its excellent Mexican food, family-style tacos, cocktails, and mezcal and tequila tastings. 22-minute walk (1 mile).
- Vintage Chophouse & Tavern – Upscale, dark wood bar with adjoining dining room. Live local bands play (pop/rock and R&B) every Friday and Saturday evenings 10pm-1am. 23-minute walk (1.2 miles).
Best Nearby Cafe
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
- Trolley 5 – Two-level brewery where you can watch the brewing process from any seat. Outdoor patio spills onto the sidewalk and the hustle and bustle of 17th Avenue. 9-minute walk (0.4 mile).
- Last Best Brewing & Distilling – This contemporary brew pub offers its own brand of in-house beer and delicious pub-fare. Happy hour every day 2-6pm. 18-minute walk (1 mile).
Nearby Shopping & Cool Shops
- Steeling Home – A treasure trove of unique gifts, souvenirs, and knick-knacks on 17th Avenue. 3-minute walk (0.2 mile).
- Stephen Avenue Walk – Pedestrian mall that’s an energetic mix of retail, historical, and cultural destinations – all located on 8 Avenue SW, between 4 Street SW and 1 Street SE. 25-minute walk (1.3 miles).
- CORE Shopping Centre – 140+ stores spanning several city blocks, including the flagship stores of Holt Renfrew, Harry Rosen, Simons, and The Bay. Home to the Devonian Gardens. Weekends: Free parking for the first 3 hours (starting at mall opening) and a CA$2 flat rate applies thereafter. Weekdays: Free parking after 3 pm. Valet parking is complimentary, however parking fare (for stall) will still apply. 27-minute walk (1.3 miles).
- Devonian Gardens – The top level of CORE shopping center is home to Devonian Gardens, a large and popular indoor botanical garden with a children’s play area. 27-minute walk (1.3 miles).
- Calgary Tower – Observation tower offering fantastic 360-degree views of the city. For the brave, there is an area with a glass floor looking straight down. Also a restaurant/lounge which offers a full rotating view of the city as it revolves once every 45 minutes during lunchtime and every hour during dinner service. Tip: Your elevation fare is complimentary when you order an entrée from the restaurant. 6-minute drive (1.5 miles).
- Studio Bell, National Music Centre – Museum of instruments and memorabilia with interactive exhibits for all ages. Test how good your singing really is in the sound booth, play various instruments, and tour the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio. Tons of cool artifacts. Some fun exhibits for the kids in the Bodyphonic gallery, especially where the room is the instrument and you see sound move as you use your hands and feet to control the tone. The kids love this one. 8-minute drive (2 miles).
- Prince’s Island Park – Beautiful and popular island park with picnic spots and several gardens, and also where several festivals are held, including Canada Day celebrations and Calgary Folk Festival. The only way to get to the island is via one of the many pedestrian bridges. The bike and pedestrian Peace Bridge nearby is an architectural marvel. 8-minute drive (2.2 miles).
Nearby Markets or Grocery Stores
Hotel Elan – The Hotel
All Calgary Hotel Reviews
- Alt Hotel Calgary East Village
- Calgary Marriott Downtown
- Delta Hotels Calgary Downtown
- Fairfield Inn & Suites
- Fairmont Palliser
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Calgary Downtown
- Hotel Arts
- Hotel Arts Kensington
- Hyatt Regency Calgary
- Pomeroy Kananaskis Mountain Lodge
- Le Germain Hotel
- Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
- The Westin Calgary