Fairmont Palliser – Historic and luxurious hotel in a central downtown location.
Fairmont Palliser is a magnificent historic hotel and has been a Calgary landmark for over a century. The main lobby is stunning and feels more like a palace with its grand foyer, marble pillars, massively high ceilings, and lavish design. Rooms have been refreshed and are spacious and comfortable while maintaining their traditional décor. The pool and hot tub are exquisite and are popular with all ages and the hotel’s modern, full-service spa is among the best in the city. The location is excellent as well – close to the city’s financial and business districts, and just steps from some of the top attractions, restaurants, and shops.
Fairmont Palliser – Location
- Area: Superb central location in downtown Calgary, directly beside the Calgary Tower. Steps to Stephen Avenue Walk and surrounded by a variety of restaurants, pubs, and shops. Two blocks to the CTrain (light rail) station. Interconnected to the +15 skywalk (enclosed elevated walkway) to many areas of downtown including the Glenbow Museum and the CORE Shopping Centre.
- Address: 133 9th Avenue SW.
- Nearest CTrain: WB 1 Street SW (250m).
- How to Get There: Catch the CTrain to WB 1 Street SW (downtown, 7th Avenue, 250m). Note: The downtown CTrain corridor along 7th Avenue is free (no fare required 24/7).
- Handy to: Calgary Tower, Stephen Avenue Walk, Prince’s Island Park, CORE Shopping Centre.
Fairmont Palliser – The Basics
- Ages: Guests of all ages are welcome and cribs are available on request. Special children’s menu in the restaurant but no other amenities for children.
- Pet Policy: Pets are allowed and pet bowls, beds, and treats are provided. CA$25 per room. Pets cannot be left unattended in rooms. Petropolitan is a luxury pet daycare/boarding located next door.
- View: City views from upper floors. Best views from Fairmont Gold rooms.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: No private pools or jacuzzis.
- Laundry: Laundry and dry-cleaning services.
- Parking: Valet parking for CA$45 per day.
- Extras: Complimentary umbrellas. Complimentary coffee in the lobby (early morning only). Closet safes and coffee machines (Keurig or Nespresso) in all rooms. Request a room with a bathtub while booking.
- When to Book: Booking 3-4 months in advance is recommended.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: 403-262-1234
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: fairmont.com
Fairmont Palliser – Amenities
- Pool: Magnificent indoor pool, hot tub, and steam room.
- Spa: Full-service RNR Wellness Spa offers a wide selection of treatments and massages. Located on the hotel’s Boulevard level, it is among the top spas in the city.
- Fitness Center: Open 24/7.
- For Disabled Guests: Multiple accessible rooms with roll-in showers available.
Fairmont Palliser – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: Hawthorn Dining Room & Bar – Offers a modern vintage experience in a comfortable setting with a rotating menu of hearty meals. Daily 6:30 am to midnight (limited menu after 10 pm). Children’s menu available. Children under 5 eat for free and those under 12 get 50% off.
- Bar/Lounge: Hawthorn Dining Room & Bar – Impressive historical architecture. Also offers designated bar seating. Popular for its cocktails, happy hour, and wine selection. Same hours and menu as the restaurant.
- Breakfast: Not complimentary. On-site Starbucks on the Boulevard level. Deville Coffee across the street is a local favorite.
- Room Service: Room service 24/7.
Fairmont Palliser – Rooms
- Room Types: Fairmont Room • Deluxe Room • Signature Room • Junior Suite • One Bedroom Suite • Palliser Suite • Heritage Suite • Fairmont Gold Room • Fairmont Gold Large • The Royal Suite • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: The hotel is 100% smoke-free.
- Best Room: The Royal Suite is the best room – it was booked for Queen Elizabeth II in June 1990. Guests can also upgrade to Fairmont Gold which includes the Penthouse-floor private check-in and exclusive lounge area that offers complimentary breakfast, evening hors d’oeuvres, and an honesty bar. The lounge has a formal, sophisticated vibe and incredible city skyline views. Note: South-facing rooms overlook the train tracks and can get noisy.
- For Families: Adjoining rooms are available. Some suites can also be connected to other rooms. Kids under 5 eat free and those up to 12 can order off the menu at 50% off.
Fairmont Palliser – What’s Nearby
Recommended Nearby Tours
- Xploring Calgary Bus Tour – Very interesting and informative bus tour (passenger van, 12 guests) of Canada Olympic Park, Lougheed House, Stampede Park, Fort Calgary, and downtown Calgary. Starting point: Calgary Tower (100m).
- Calgary Downtown Intro Walking Tour – Excellent walking tour of Calgary’s downtown and its history, public art, sculptures, +15 skywalk system, and Chinatown. Starting point: Calgary Municipal Plaza (600m).
- Stampede Art and Wild West Walking Tour – This excellent walking tour highlights Calgary Stampede’s history, the wall murals and sculptures on the Stampede grounds, chuckwagon races, and the rodeo. Starting point: Stampede Gate inside Stampede Grounds (1.5 km).
Best Nearby Restaurants
- Ten Foot Henry – Vegetable-anchored menu focused on family-style dining (also has a tiny adjoining toast bar, Little Henry, if you are short on time). Scrumptious avocado toast. (500m).
- Vintage Chophouse & Tavern – Upscale, dark wood bar with adjoining dining room. Live local bands play (pop/rock and R&B) every Friday and Saturday evenings 10pm-1am. (500m).
- Native Tongues Taqueria – Rustic cantina known for its excellent Mexican food, family-style tacos, cocktails, and mezcal and tequila tastings. (600m).
- Red’s Diner – Casual, homey diner with friendly service, open for breakfast and lunch. Famous for their Eggs Benedict. (1 km).
- Bonterra Trattoria – Casual Italian fare in a Tuscan-style décor. Beet salad is outstanding and so is the beautiful outdoor patio. (1 km).
- Posto Pizzeria & Bar – Next to Bonterra Trattoria. Cozy and casual in a rustic atmosphere with a wine bar. Open-flamed pizza oven and some inspired pizzas. Small outdoor patio. (1.5 km).
- Una Pizza & Wine – Trendy and lively spot serving delicious and creative thin-crust pizzas. Often busy during peak dinner hours; while waiting for a table, check out the romantic and cozy Frenchie Wine Bar located at the back of the restaurant. There is a dog-friendly outdoor patio as well. (1.5 km).
- The Coup – Ethical vegetarian restaurant focusing on organic, local, and made-from-scratch foods and drinks. Small outdoor patio. (2 km).
Best Nearby Cafes
- Deville Coffee – Just off Stephen Avenue Walk. If you need a break from the crowds, check out this little oasis, especially the coffeeshop’s second level. Amazing coffee, maybe the best in the city. Locals adore this little place. (150m).
- Village Ice Cream – Delicious homemade ice cream. A local favorite, so expect long lines during peak summertime hours. Tucked away at the end of 10th Avenue SE. (1 km).
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
- James Joyce Irish Pub & Restaurant – Authentic Irish pub in a historic building on Stephen Avenue Walk. This place hops non-stop, especially on weekend evenings. (250m).
- Last Best Brewing & Distilling – This contemporary brew pub offers its own brand of in-house beer and delicious pub-fare. Happy hour every day 2-6pm. (1 km).
Nearby Shopping & Cool Shops
- Stephen Avenue Walk – Pedestrian mall that’s an energetic mix of retail, historical, and cultural destinations – all located on 8 Avenue SW, between 4 Street SW and 1 Street SE. Just steps from the hotel. (150m).
- CORE Shopping Centre – 140+ stores spanning several city blocks, including the flagship stores of Holt Renfrew, Harry Rosen, Simons, and The Bay. Home to the Devonian Gardens. Weekends: Free parking for the first 3 hours (starting at mall opening) and a CA$2 flat rate applies thereafter. Weekdays: Free parking after 3 pm. Valet parking is complimentary, however parking fare (for stall) will still apply. (400m).
- The Cookbook Co. Cooks – Kitchen gadgets your thing? Check out this little shop. Includes wine store and bakery downstairs. Cooking classes available. (1 km).
- Steeling Home – A treasure trove of unique gifts, souvenirs, and knick-knacks on 17th Avenue. (2 km).
- Calgary Tower – Observation tower offering fantastic 360-degree views of the city. For the brave, there is an area with a glass floor looking straight down. Also a restaurant/lounge which offers a full rotating view of the city as it revolves once every 45 minutes during lunchtime and every hour during dinner service. Tip: Your elevation fare is complimentary when you order an entrée from the restaurant. (100m).
- Devonian Gardens – The top level of CORE shopping center is home to Devonian Gardens, a large and popular indoor botanical garden with a children’s play area. (600m).
- Studio Bell, National Music Centre – Museum of instruments and memorabilia with interactive exhibits for all ages. Test how good your singing really is in the sound booth, play various instruments, and tour the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio. Tons of cool artifacts. Some fun exhibits for the kids in the Bodyphonic gallery, especially where the room is the instrument and you see sound move as you use your hands and feet to control the tone. The kids love this one. (1 km).
- Prince’s Island Park – Beautiful and popular island park with picnic spots and several gardens, and also where several festivals are held, including Canada Day celebrations and Calgary Folk Festival. The only way to get to the island is via one of the many pedestrian bridges. The bike and pedestrian Peace Bridge nearby is an architectural marvel. (1.5 km).
Nearby Markets or Grocery Stores
- Sunterra Market Keynote – Grocery store with gourmet cafeteria-style self-serve, including a coffee bar, large salad bar, and a variety of ready-made meals. 3rd-floor restaurant, MARKETBar, is a full-service bar/restaurant offering a rooftop patio with city views. (700m).
- Safeway – Large supermarket with deli, bakery, and on-site Starbucks. (1.5 km).
Fairmont Palliser – The Hotel
All Calgary Hotel Reviews
- Alt Hotel Calgary East Village
- Calgary Marriott Downtown
- Delta Hotels Calgary Downtown
- Fairfield Inn & Suites
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Calgary Downtown
- Hotel Arts
- Hotel Arts Kensington
- Hyatt Regency Calgary
- Pomeroy Kananaskis Mountain Lodge
- Le Germain Hotel
- Sheraton Suites Calgary Eau Claire
- The Westin Calgary