Home > Citizen Hotel Review
Updated: October 8, 2019
Citizen Hotel – Quiet and affordable mid-range option facing Mumbai’s prime beach.
Positioned nicely away from the traffic, this small and friendly hotel provides more panache than expected. Some rooms could do with a little modernization, but are still very comfortable and reasonably spacious. Those facing the sea feel like they’re virtually on the sand, while most of the other rooms also offer decent glimpses of the water. The Citizen is not up to the standard where a pool and gym are expected, but the position facing the beach, and surrounded by cafés, is among the finest in the city. It’s value-packed, with mid-range facilities at budget prices, and breakfast is included. And being so close to the airport, it’s a worthy option as a transit hotel.
Citizen Hotel – The Location
- Address: 960 Juhu Tara Road, the main road alongside Juhu Beach, a popular area in the northern suburbs.
- Area: Faces the beach at a bend in the road. About 150m down a poorly-signed lane from the road. A useful landmark is the bus stand along the lane to the hotel. Plenty of cafés and bars, and a few shops, in the immediate area.
- How to Get There: From the airport, get a taxi at a pre-paid counter (9km, 35-minute drive; longer during peak times). The Andheri train station and connected metro station are 20 minutes (4.5km) away.
- Handy to: Juhu Beach. Domestic and international airport terminals.
Citizen Hotel – The Basics
- Guests: Mostly Indian tourists seeking a fabulous city-beach holiday.
- Views: The few rooms at the front directly face the sea and almost feel like they’re on the sand. Those to the side still offer decent glimpses of the ocean.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Certainly not expected (or provided) at this sort of low-key hotel.
- Extras: Daily newspaper delivered to each room.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout. Quick and reliable.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)22 6693 2525
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: citizenhotelmumbai.com
Citizen Hotel – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Not expected (or provided).
- Other Facilities: Money-changing. Laundry.
Citizen Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: (Both restaurants serve alcohol.) Bay View Restaurant & Bar – Pleasant indoor setting with sea views. Impressive service and extensive menu. • Sea Side Patio – Outdoor tables alongside the beach, almost on the sand. All-day dining, cheaper than the attached restaurant. Perfect for sunsets.
- Breakfast: Included in all rates.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours of about 7 am to 10 pm.
Citizen Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Executive Rooms • Deluxe Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Some smoking rooms available, if requested.
- Best Room: The best, of course, are those facing the sea. And the ones on the top (3rd) floor would be a little quieter.
- For Families: Rooms can squeeze in an extra single bed, while many have connecting doors.
Citizen Hotel – Local Transport
- Walking: One of the finest areas in Mumbai for strolling, especially along the extensive beach. There are some sidewalks and plenty of places to eat and shop nearby.
- Public Transport: Nothing of any use to tourists. The Mumbai Metro probably won’t reach this far until about 2025.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: Plenty of black-and-yellow taxis along the road. They have meters and drivers will use them without too many arguments. Unlike the city center, auto-rickshaws operate here, and also usually use their meters. Rides can also be booked using Uber and Ola apps.
Citizen Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
The bustling food court about 300m north of the hotel is home to about 30 stalls selling street food. Might be a good time and place to try pav bhaji (spicy vegetable curry with buttery bread) or tawa pulao (traditional fried rice). These 5 places are within 600m north of the hotel (towards and past the Ramada Plaza Palm Grove hotel).
- Domino’s – Familiar pizza joint notable for the rooftop eating area with views rivaling those at 5-star resorts. 5-minute walk (400m).
- TAP – Trendy meeting spot on the ground floor. Focus on grills. Also, live music, DJs, and TV sports. 5-minute walk (400m).
- Bora Bora – Above TAP and similar layout. More of a bar than a café, but great Italian food. Live music most nights. 6-minute walk (450m).
- Ramada Plaza Palm Grove – This hotel offers a few decent options: Tangerine Café (24-hour coffee shop), Oriental Bowl (authentic Chinese), and Shooters (sophisticated bar). 6-minute walk (450m).
- Shiv Sagar – One in a city-wide chain of reliable vegetarian restaurants. Always good value and perennially popular. 7-minute walk (600m).
Shops & Markets
- Juhu is the premier beach in Mumbai. Implausibly packed on public holidays and weekends, it is relatively quiet on weekdays. The beach is the sort found in Goa: extensive, scenic, reasonably clean, and usually fine for swimming. A few water sports can also be arranged at a spot near the hotel.
Citizen Hotel – The Hotel
All Mumbai Hotel Reviews
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai