The College Hotel – Training hotel, well-located for museum-hopping and shopping.
A former 19th-century school for boys, The College Hotel is just a few minutes’ walk from Amsterdam’s heavyweight art museums and the independent boutiques of De Pijp. The decor combines neo-Renaissance style architecture and original stained-glass with spacious, sometimes oddly-shaped rooms that occupy former classrooms. Most (apart from the more snug attic rooms) come with tall ceilings, a muted palette of grays, blacks, and browns, extra-long beds, Nespresso coffee makers, air-conditioning, and brown marble bathrooms with fair trade cosmetics. There’s a buzzy brasserie onsite, as well as a cocktail bar. The hotel is staffed by advanced students of the hospitality trade, so the service is eager, enthusiastic, and efficient, if sometimes a little rough around the edges.
The College Hotel – Location
- Address: Roelof Hartstraat 1, 1071 VE Amsterdam.
- Nearest Tram: Roelof Hartplein.
- Area: In the affluent Zuid district, just off a busy street that connects Vondelpark and the museums and high-end shopping of the Museum Quarter to the buzzy café and independent boutiques of De Pijp; both are 10 minutes’ walk from the hotel. Walking distance to the southern canal ring; short tram ride to the Medieval Center and Centraal Station. Numerous restaurants, bars, and boutiques nearby.
- How to Get There: Take the train from Schiphol Airport to Centraal Station, then tram #2 or #5 to Van Baerlestraat, and change to the southbound tram #3 or #12, alighting at the Roelof Hartplein stop. Or take the metro from Centraal Station to De Pijp station and walk for 8 minutes.
- Handy to: Stedelijk Museum, Van Gogh Museum, Rijksmuseum, Concertgebouw.
The College Hotel – The Basics
- Ages: Guests tend to be couples on a romantic getaway or travelers on a city break, and there are few specific family-friendly amenities.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: No private pools/jacuzzis.
- Laundry: In-room laundry.
- Extras: Bicycles for hire; staff can book tickets to museums and attractions.
- When to Book: Reserve 3 months in advance for the mid-March to mid-May tulip season, the July and August high season, and the Christmas-New Year period.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: 020-571-1511
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: thecollegehotel.com
The College Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: No pool.
- Spa: No spa, but massages can be arranged in-room.
- Fitness Center: No fitness center.
- For Disabled Guests: One room adapted for guests with limited mobility.
- For Families: Several interconnecting rooms and babysitting services available on request.
The College Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: The College Restaurant serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Mediterranean dishes with a twist, gourmet burgers, and expertly-seared steaks. Simple, elegant decor. • $$-$$$.
- Lounge/Bar: Perch on a stool at Foodbar, or lounge around near the open fireplace with a classic cocktail or a more adventurous concoction. Open until midnight Sunday to Wednesday; until 1 am Thursday to Saturday.
- Breakfast: Not complimentary. Extensive hot and cold buffet costs €22 per person. Served 7am-10am Monday to Friday (11 am on weekends) at The College Restaurant.
- Room Service: Available from The College Restaurant between noon and 10 pm.
The College Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe • Superior • Junior Suite
- Smoking Rooms: The College Hotel is 100% smoke-free.
- Best Room: The split-level Junior Suite Duplex has a skylight above the bed and an oversized bathtub in the bathroom, while the Junior Suite Chemistry Room is one of the hotel’s brightest rooms, with windows on 3 sides and tranquil courtyard views.
- For Families: There are several interconnecting rooms.
The College Hotel – Local Transport
- Walking: Easy walking distance to the museums of the Museum Quarter, Concertgebouw, Vondelpark and the Albert Cuyp Market street market in De Pijp. Numerous restaurants, bars, and shops within a few minutes’ walk.
- Tram: Direct tram connections from the nearby Roelof Hartplein stop to De Pijp, Museum Quarter, and Jordaan; change at the Van Baerlestraat stop for trams to Centraal Station which pass through the southern canal ring and the Medieval Center.
- Taxis, Uber: Taxis and Uber charge around €35 from the airport to the hotel. Within the city, Uber rides cost around half of taxi fares. It’s often quicker to walk, cycle, or jump on a tram.
The College Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Nearby Restaurants and Cafes
- La Falote – Wallet-friendly, home-style Dutch dishes such as meatballs, calf’s liver, and stewed fish. 4-minute walk.
- Renzo’s – Get homemade pasta dishes and sandwiches to take away, or eat them here on the tiny mezzanine. 4-minute walk.
- Restaurant de Knijp – Classy French bistro (go for the cold lobster with fries, veal entrecote, or escargots). Open early for dinner – ideal if you’re attending a concert at the nearby Concertgebouw. 5-minute walk.
- L’Entrecote et Les Dames – Sophisticated French menu, old-world ambiance. The entrecote is the star here, followed by crepes au Grand Marnier. 5-minute walk.
- CT Coffee & Coconuts – Triple-level former art deco cinema turned popular brunch spot. Light, globally-inspired dishes the rest of the day. 8-minute walk.
- Omelegg – A couple dozen omelette combos, shakshuka, scrambled eggs, and sandwiches. Inexpensive and filling. 9-minute walk.
- Surya – One of the most consistent Indian restaurants in town, with a good mix of Madras and vindaloo curries, tandoori dishes, and plenty of vegetarian options. 9-minute walk.
- SLA – Flagship branch of Amsterdam’s wildly popular hipster salad bar. Organic wines and smoothies too. 10-minute walk.
- Stroom in De Pijp – Trendy, industrial-style café with a large outdoor terrace, packed on sunny days. Wholesome brunches, great coffee, imaginative salads, and good service. 10-minute walk.
Nearby Bars and Breweries
- Café Binnen Buiten – Cozy wood-paneled bar, lots of seasonal and draft beers to choose from, and an idyllic canal-side terrace for sunny afternoons. 5-minute walk.
- Café Welling – Old-school café-bar behind the Concertgebouw, attractive arty and literary types and post-concert musicians. 9-minute walk.
- Taiko Bar – Imaginative gin cocktails (among others) executed with flair at this stylish bar inside the Conservatorium Hotel. 10-minute walk.
- Brouwerij Troost – Superb craft brewery with a dozen own beers, brewed in copper vats here. Excellent bar food. 11-minute walk.
- Glou Glou – Jovial wine bar with over 40 French wines by the glass, as well as numerous organic wines. 12-minute walk.
Nearby Shopping and Cool Shops
- O My Bag – Stylish leather bags and accessories for men and women, from purses and clutch bags to satchels, wallets, laptop covers, and travel bags. 8-minute walk.
- Charlie + Mary – Sustainable, environment-friendly clothing designed by Charlie + Mary, and brands such as Qnoop, Dedicated, People Tree, and Nulla Nomen. 9-minute walk.
- Blond – Fun and colorful plates, mugs, and other kitchenware, with fun designs (beach scenes, cakes, blondes) courtesy of the shop’s blond owners. 9-minute walk.
- The Girl Can’t Help It – Stylish, 50’s-inspired ladies’ fashion, from dresses and trench coats to tops and skirts. 10-minute walk.
- Anna & Nina – Eclectic earrings, accessories, clothing, and interior design that reflects the nomad-like travels of the store’s owners. 10-minute walk.
- Cottoncake – Women’s apparel, from vintage biker boots and Sita Murt knits to handcrafted Monocrafft jewelry and Samsoe jackets. In-store café serves great espresso and all-day breakfasts. 11-minute walk.
The College Hotel – The Hotel
All Amsterdam Hotel Reviews
- Crane Hotel Faralda
- Sir Adam Hotel
Southern Canal Ring
- American Hotel Amsterdam
- Banks Mansion
- Hotel Seven One Seven
- Mokum Suites
- Seven Bridges Hotel
- Waldorf Astoria
- Hotel Okura Amsterdam
- Sir Albert
- Breitner House
- InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
- Lloyd Hotel
- Zoku Amsterdam
- AMS Suites (Temporarily Closed)
- Morgan & Mees
- Mr. Jordaan
Medieval Center & Red Light District
- art’otel Amsterdam
- Eric Vökel Boutique Apartments – Amsterdam Suites
- De L’Europe Amsterdam
- Hotel Estheréa
- Hotel TwentySeven
- Hotel V Nesplein
- INK Hotel Amsterdam – MGallery
- Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam
- Luxury Suites Amsterdam
- Misc Eatdrinksleep
- NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen
- NH Collection Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
- Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
- W Amsterdam
Vondelpark & Museum Quarter Hotels
- Conservatorium Hotel
- Hotel De Hallen
- Hotel JL No76
- Pillows Luxury Boutique Hotel Anna Van Den Vondel Amsterdam
- Hotel The Neighbour’s Magnolia
Western Canal Ring Hotels
- Best Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Family Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Boutique Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Budget Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Airport Hotels in Amsterdam
- Where to Stay in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Hotel Map
- Best Time to Visit Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Tours & Things to Do
- Best Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Bars, Breweries, & Tasting Rooms
- Best Amsterdam Shops & Markets
- Amsterdam with Kids
- Complete Amsterdam Travel Guide