Home > Country Inn & Suites Review
Updated: October 9, 2019
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Goa Candolim – So stylish and graceful, it boasts a magnificent setting and tranquil location.
Far more charming than most modern and overbuilt hotels along the main road, this hotel is now run by the renowned Radisson company. The design of terracotta tiles, quaint balconies, and mustard-colored walls are reminders of colonial Portugal, and the resort is dotted with funky things, like a statue of Vasco da Gama (the first Portuguese explorer to land in India) at the lobby. Almost all rooms and suites face inwards, overlooking the pool and gardens, and each features splashes of color, old-style furnishings, and a sofa. The magnificent tropical-style pool is lined with palms and packed with sunbeds and offers splash areas for the younger ones. Some facilities, such as the gym and ‘activity center’, need some upgrading, but it’s all about the elegant setting and serene location along a village street – yet less than a kilometer from the glorious beach.
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Goa Candolim – The Location
- Address: About 300m from the main road midway along Candolim, a major tourist region in a southern part of North Goa. (Most places in Goa don’t have an address.) Inexcusably not signposted from the main road, but there are signs along the side street.
- Area: In a village-like setting of middle-class housing less than 1km from the beach. The main road is lined with tourist facilities. More nightclubs and bars with live music than elsewhere in the area, but the resort is unaffected by the noise.
- How to Get There: From the airport (36km, 60 to 70-minute drive), there is little choice except overpriced pre-paid taxis. The nearest major train station is at Vasco da Gama, 38km away (70 to 80-minute drive).
- Handy to: Facilities and beaches at Candolim.
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Goa Candolim – The Basics
- Guests: Foreign tourists, mostly couples, and often older than about 40. Tries to cater to families, but not many come.
- Views: Almost all rooms and suites face inwards, so they overlook the gardens and pool.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None, but these are very rare among any resort in Goa.
- Wi-Fi: Free throughout for all guests.
- Parking: Not available on-site. A public carpark is very close by, but safety can’t be guaranteed.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)832 665 0000
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: countryinns.com
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Goa Candolim – Amenities
- Pool: Fantastic and certainly large enough. Natural shade and abundant sunbeds and umbrellas, as well as a poolside bar and 2 shallow areas for children.
- Spa: The undersized Revive Spa offers nothing more than a couple of rooms for massages.
- Fitness Center: Also a little undersized, but most guests don’t seem to care.
- For Families: Games room (‘activity center’) could be improved easily with some thought. Not much more than a ping pong table and a few toys for toddlers. Not supervised.
- Other Facilities: Travel desk. Business center.
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Goa Candolim – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Mosaic – The main restaurant is open 24 hours and offers a wide-ranging menu of international cuisine. Bar attached. • Lobby Bar – Aptly-named, it’s, well, a bar at the lobby. Plenty of drinks and tasty snacks. • Poolside Bar-B-Que Grill & Bar – Even more appropriately named. Also, live music on most nights and popular Sunday brunch.
- Breakfast: Not included in the rates, but available for an extra charge.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Goa Candolim – Rooms
- Room Types: Standard Rooms • Superior Rooms • Deluxe Rooms • Suites
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is allowed in some rooms. Check when booking.
- Best Room: The suites are more than twice the size of the standard rooms. Separate living areas, 2 balconies, and huge bathrooms.
- For Families: Some rooms have connecting doors, which is a rarity, and all can fit in at least 1, and often, 2 extra single beds.
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Goa Candolim – Local Transport
- Walking: Pleasant strolling experience along the village lanes near the resort. Some sidewalks along the main road, but they’re mostly used for illegal parking.
- Public Transport: Local buses are convenient and frequent. They travel up and down – and stop anywhere along – the main road through Candolim and Calangute. Some detour to Panaji (Panjim), the state capital and regional transport hub, via a stop opposite the Acacia hotel (500m north, 6-minute walk). No metro or any local trains of use to tourists.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: No auto-rickshaws or metered taxis in the immediate area. Uber/Ola don’t operate anywhere in Goa, but app-based rides can be arranged through Goa Miles. The only option for longer trips are unmetered private ‘taxis’ which can be arranged at the hotel or with drivers hanging about the streets.
- Cars & Motorbikes: Goa is the only place in India where renting a car or motorbike is feasible. No internationally-recognized agencies are present, so renting at a local shop presents obvious risks. Best to organize through the hotel. Rides on the back of a motorbike (called a ‘pilot’) are possible; ask around.
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Goa Candolim – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
Nothing along the side street to the resort, so try places on the main road (300m away) or, better, at the beach (less than 1km).
- Ruffles – Finest restaurant in the immediate area for western meals. Live music, karaoke, or DJs every evening. 4-minute walk (300m).
- Foodland Multi Cuisine & Bar +91 98229 15352 – Always popular for its inexpensive menu that includes non-Indian meals such as steaks, kebabs, and prawns. Next to Ruffles. 4-minute walk (350m).
- Café Chocolattii +91 93261 12006 – Fabulous garden setting and always busy with expats and well-heeled locals. Also, takeaway pastries and world-class coffee. 5-minute walk (350m).
- Karlton’s Horizon Grill – Mouth-watering steaks, ribs, and seafood, as well as happy hours and great-value specials. Almost opposite the turn-off. 5-minute walk (350m).
- Bom Sucesso – Lively bistro/bar with casual seating and live entertainment. Extra-long menu and daily specials are very appealing; perhaps less so, the karaoke. 5-minute walk (450m).
At the end of the side street to the beach (see below) are plenty of beach cafés on the sand. Casual, cheap, cheerful, and competitive, some offer free use of sunbeds and umbrellas.
- The resort is on the other side of the main road from the splendid beach. Walk 300m to the road, turn left (south) and take the first right at the sign to the ‘Whispering Palms’ resort. Plenty of casual cafés that also rent out sunbeds and umbrellas. Always swim between the flags. Lifeguards are on duty between about 10 am and sunset. 9-minute walk (800m).
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Goa Candolim – The Hotel
All Goa Hotel Reviews
- The Acacia Hotel & Spa Goa
- Alagoa Resort
- Alila Diwa
- The Avenue Calangute
- Beleza by the Beach
- Casablanca Resort
- The Crown Goa
- The Diwa Club
- Fortune Acron Regina
- Goa Villagio Resort & Spa
- Hard Rock Hotel Goa
- Holiday Inn Resort, Goa
- Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho
- Hyatt Centric Candolim Goa
- John’s Highland Comfort Guest House
- Karma Royal Haathi Mahal
- La Sunila Suites
- Lemon Tree Amarante Beach Resort
- Mateus Boutique Hotel
- Novotel Goa Candolim Hotel
- Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort Hotel
- Panjim Inn, Pousada, & Peoples
- Radisson Goa Candolim
- Radisson Blu Resort Goa Cavelossim Beach
- River Castle
- Santana Beach Resort
- Sonesta Inns
- Tranquility Cottage Resort
- Whispering Palms Beach Resort
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Time to Visit Goa
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai