Courtyard by Marriott – Stylish and comfortable, but more modest – and therefore, cheaper – than rivals.
Facing the main road in an inner-city suburb, this hotel is not as large or impressive as others within the renowned international chain, and the lower rates reflect this. While there are a couple of pleasant bistros/bars and a fairly large spa and gym on-site, there is no pool. However, the rooms are comfortable and quite spacious, and the inviting apartments are extra-large. But it’s all about (a) the affordability, which make this a popular alternative to overpriced rivals in downtown, and (b) location, only minutes from a metro station with direct services to the airport and city center.
Courtyard by Marriott – The Location
- Address: 564 Anna Salai (Mount Road), a major thoroughfare through Chennai, in the inner southern suburb of Teynampet.
- Nearest Metro: The AG-DMS metro station is just 150m south of the hotel.
- Area: Faces the main road in a fairly nondescript area. A few facilities close by, but these are set up for Indian locals, not foreign tourists.
- How to Get There: There are efficient pre-paid taxi counters at the domestic and international airports; the trip takes about 45 minutes (13 km). (Uber and Ola seem to be off-limits there.) The hotel is linked by metro to the airport, Central and Egmore train terminals, and CMBT (Koyambedu) bus station. See Local Transport below for more information.
Courtyard by Marriott – The Basics
- Guests: A variety of business people and tourists from India and overseas.
- Views: Rooms to the front face the main road (and may suffer from traffic noise). Other rooms offer similar street views to the side or back but will be quieter. The ones within the U-shaped building face other windows about 20m apart.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not really expected (or provided) at an inner-city hotel like this in Chennai.
- Extras: Guests in the suites have access to the Club Lounge.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)44 6676 4000
- Email: Contact customer support through the hotel website.
- Website: marriott.com
Courtyard by Marriott – Amenities
- Pool: Surprisingly, there is no pool, but the lower rates reflect this.
- Spa: Usual array of massages and manicures at the O2 Spa and Salon. Yoga can be arranged, too. Also, a steam room.
- Fitness Center: Decent size with enough equipment to satisfy most. Open 24 hours.
- For Families: Cots.
- Other Facilities: Boutique. Money-changing. Laundry. Business services.
Courtyard by Marriott – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Paprika – Main restaurant at lobby level. Spacious, casual, and pleasant, with a long menu of western and Indian food. Hugely popular lunchtime buffets. • Rhapsody – Elegant and intimate bar. Packed after dark with local workers, and meals available. • Muffin Tree – Coffee shop for pastries and sandwiches. Attached to Paprika.
- Breakfast: Not included but available for an extra charge. Free for guests in the suites.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Courtyard by Marriott – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms • Executive Deluxe Rooms • Club Rooms • 4 Bay Apartments • Courtyard Suites • Presidential Suites • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Ask about dedicated smoking rooms when booking.
- Best Room: The Presidential Suites feature Club benefits such as breakfast, as well as living/dining areas.
- For Families: Most rooms can fit in 1 extra single bed each, and a few have connecting doors. Apartments can accommodate families of 4 easily.
Courtyard by Marriott – Local Transport
- Walking: Faces a busy road. There are some basic sidewalks and a few interesting shops in the area. Cross the road using the underpass at the metro station.
- Public Transport: The metro offers services to both airport terminals, the major train and bus stations, and the city center. The nearest metro station – AG-DMS – is only 150m south down the road.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: The black-and-yellow taxis at the airport are nowhere to be seen in the city. Instead, they have been replaced by the app-based Uber and Ola. Plenty of auto-rickshaws around but the drivers won’t use meters, so they usually cost more than Uber or Ola.
Courtyard by Marriott – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Not a great choice, except at the Hyatt Regency, 500m south down the road. This hotel offers several sophisticated choices, including:
- Spice Haat – Buffets and a la carte meals created at live cooking stations. Popular for Sunday brunch.
- Focaccia – Traditional Italian cuisine. Book ahead for the Saturday brunch.
- Stix – Authentic street food from China in a fascinating setting.
- Yakiniku – Genuine Japanese. Communal tables, family-friendly, and teppanyaki station, but dinner only.
Otherwise, head south down the road and continue along Cenotaph Road (about 2 km from the Courtyard). In a cluster about 100m apart are:
- Hokkaido Japanese Restaurant – Award-winning cuisine and authentic décor at pleasing prices.
- Ambrosia Café & Bakery – Delicious baked items. The cafe is known for its contemporary Korean fare.
- Café Coffee Day – One in a countrywide chain of reliable cafés selling drinks and light meals.
- A few shops of mild interest just north past the hotel gates. The Ramee Mall, adjoining the Hyatt hotel, about 500m south, is mostly closed, but may pick up later.
Courtyard by Marriott – The Hotel
All Chennai Hotel Reviews
- Ambassador Pallava
- Avenue 11 Boutique Residences
- Crowne Plaza Adyar Park
- E Hotel
- Grand Chennai
- Hyatt Regency
- La Woods Hotel
- Novotel Chamiers Road
- Radisson Blu City Centre
- Raintree, Anna Salai
- Residency Towers
- Taj Club House
- Taj Connemara
- The Residency
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai