Crane Hotel Faralda – Industrial crane turned design hotel in Amsterdam Noord.
Crane Hotel Faralda is Amsterdam’s most unusual design hotel. A converted, brightly painted industrial crane with epic city views from its rooms and rooftop spa pool, it attracts celebrities, DJs and travellers who don’t suffer from vertigo. There are only three luxury split-level suites here, each with a unique design aesthetic, steep steps up to the mezzanine bedroom, and bathrooms with rain showers. Choose between Mystique (bordello-esque ambience), Free Spirit (light and airy), and Secret (Arabian Nights-themed) suites. Steps away from the arty attractions of Amsterdam Noord and several hipster restaurants.
Crane Hotel Faralda – Location
- Address: NDSM-plein 78, 1033 WB Amsterdam.
- Nearest Ferry: Veer NDSM Werf.
- Area: Located on Amsterdam-werf, a derelict shipyard turned arty neighborhood in Amsterdam Noord. It’s a 2-minute walk from warehouses used for art installations, and a 6-minute walk from the NDSM-werf ferry stop; free ferries run to Centraal Station every 15 minutes or so until midnight (15 minutes). Several good restaurants nearby and other attractions in Amsterdam Noord are reachable by bicycle.
- How to Get There: Take the train from Schiphol Airport to Centraal Station, then the free 15-minute ferry from behind the station to Veer NDSM Werf.
- Handy to: NDSM-werf (2-minute walk), IJ-Hallen flea market (2-minute walk), Centraal Station (25-minute walk and ferry ride).
Crane Hotel Faralda – The Basics
- Ages: Adults-only hotel; most guests are either couples on a romantic break, or visiting DJs and other celebrities.
- View: Great 360-degree views of the IJ waterway and central Amsterdam beyond, as well as the graffiti-covered landscape of Amsterdam Noord from rooftop whirlpool and full-length windows in the lofty suites. View changes as the crane moves in the breeze.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Rooftop Jacuzzi.
- Laundry: No in-room laundry service.
- Parking: Plenty of parking nearby; approximately €8 per day.
- Extras: Complimentary wine and champagne; possible to arrange helicopter tour of the city with nearby landing; VIP limo pickup from the airport can be arranged.
- When to Book: Reserve 3 months in advance for the mid-March to mid-May tulip season, the July and August high season and the Christma-New Year period.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: 020-760-6161
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: faralda.com
Crane Hotel Faralda – Amenities
- Pool: No pool, but there is a rooftop jacuzzi.
- Spa: No spa.
- Fitness Center: No fitness center.
- For Disabled Guests: Not suitable for disabled guests.
Crane Hotel Faralda – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: No onsite restaurants, but there are several excellent restaurants within a 5-minute walk, including Cannibale Royale du Nord and Noorderlicht.
- Lounge/Bar: No bar onsite, but the hip Pllek bar with urban beach is a couple of minutes’ walk away.
- Breakfast: Not complimentary. Choose between exclusive Prosecco breakfast in bed (€90 for 2), or continental breakfast (€25) at the nearby DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Amsterdam (served 7-10am Monday-Friday, and 7-11am Saturday & Sunday).
- Room Service: No room service besides breakfast in bed.
Crane Hotel Faralda – Rooms
- Room Types: Three individually styled split-level Suites.
- Smoking Rooms: Crane Hotel Faralda is 100% smoke free.
- Best Room: Depends on your taste in interior design. Secret is the largest, at 40m sq, while Mystique is the highest (45m off the ground). In-room amenities are similar, and all 3 suites benefit from tremendous views (that change hourly as the crane rotates in the wind).
- For Families: No family rooms.
Crane Hotel Faralda – Local Transport
- Walking: Amsterdam Noord attractions such NDSM-werf and its art installations, and the monthly IJ Hallen flea market are a couple of minutes’ walk away. Other attractions in Amsterdam Noord require hiring a bicycle. If you take the ferry to Centraal Station, the attractions in the Medieval Center and Red Light District are within easy walking distance; walkable to the historic canal ring.
- Tram/Ferry: Amsterdam’s tram hub is in front of Centraal Station, with connections to every corner of the city. The nearest free ferry stop, Veer Buiksloterweg, is a 34-minute walk.
- Taxis, Uber: Taxis and Uber charge around €35 from the airport to the hotel. Within the city, Uber rides cost around half of taxi fares. It’s often quicker to walk, cycle or jump on the ferry.
Crane Hotel Faralda – What’s Nearby?
Recommended Nearby Tours
- Bungee Amsterdam – Throw yourself off the top of Crane Faralda Hotel while attached to a bungee cord. Start location: 1-minute walk.
- Pannenkoekenboot – 75-minute city cruises in a covered boat, specialized family cruises, and pancake cruises. Start location: 3-minute walk.
- Amsterdam Helicopters – Fun sightseeing tours of the city from above; highlights include the Red Light District, Dam Square, and Jordaan’s canals.
Best Nearby Restaurants
- Cannibale Royale du Nord – Cheese steak and pulled pork sandwiches for lunch, gourmet burgers and steaks in the evening. 2-minute walk.
- Noorderlicht – Imaginative sandwiches and salads, plus vegetarian Indonesian dishes, and good coffee. 3-minute walk.
- Café de Ceuvel – Open-air waterfront terrace, art and music events, creative cooking, emphasis on local and sustainable produce. 5-minute bike ride.
- Café Modern – Daily changing multi-course menu, seasonal ingredients, good craft beer and wine selection. 8-minute bike ride.
- Moon – Revolving restaurant on the 19th floor of A’DAM Tower with 360-degree views. Contemporary Dutch dishes, seasonal produce. 10-minute bike ride.
- The Butcher Social Club – Gourmet burgers and meaty mains by day, cocktails and DJ sets by night. 10-minute bike ride.
- Skatecafe – Laid-back skater hangout with indoor skate track, varied international fare (Peking duck, falafel salad), good beer. 10-minute bike ride.
- Hotel de Goudfazant – Expertly-prepared modern French cuisine inside former shipyard building. 12-minute bike ride.
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
- Pllek – Hip café/bar made of shipping containers, with an urban beach and good beer. DJ sets on weekends, and open-air movie nights on Tuesdays (June-September). 2-minute walk.
- Tolhuistuin – Summer-only cultural space, beer garden, outdoor cinema, acoustic bands. 9-minute bike ride.
- Oedepus Brewing – One of Amsterdam’s best craft beer breweries. 11-minute bike ride.
- Café ‘t Sluisje – Traditional pub in a historic building, canal-side outdoor terrace, comfort food. 13-minute bike ride.
Crane Hotel Faralda – The Hotel
All Amsterdam Hotel Reviews
- Sir Adam Hotel
Southern Canal Ring
- American Hotel Amsterdam
- Banks Mansion
- Hotel Seven One Seven
- Mokum Suites
- Seven Bridges Hotel
- Waldorf Astoria
- Hotel Okura Amsterdam
- Sir Albert
- Breitner House
- InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
- Lloyd Hotel
- Zoku Amsterdam
- AMS Suites (Temporarily Closed)
- Morgan & Mees
- Mr. Jordaan
Medieval Center & Red Light District
- art’otel Amsterdam
- Eric Vökel Boutique Apartments – Amsterdam Suites
- De L’Europe Amsterdam
- Hotel Estheréa
- Hotel TwentySeven
- Hotel V Nesplein
- INK Hotel Amsterdam – MGallery
- Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam
- Luxury Suites Amsterdam
- Misc Eatdrinksleep
- NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen
- NH Collection Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
- Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
- W Amsterdam
Vondelpark & Museum Quarter Hotels
- The College Hotel
- Conservatorium Hotel
- Hotel De Hallen
- Hotel JL No76
- Pillows Luxury Boutique Hotel Anna Van Den Vondel Amsterdam
- Hotel The Neighbour’s Magnolia
Western Canal Ring Hotels
- Best Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Family Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Boutique Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Budget Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Airport Hotels in Amsterdam
- Where to Stay in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Hotel Map
- Best Time to Visit Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Tours & Things to Do
- Best Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Bars, Breweries, & Tasting Rooms
- Best Amsterdam Shops & Markets
- Amsterdam with Kids
- Complete Amsterdam Travel Guide