by Santorini Dave • Updated: July 16, 2019
Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park – Suburban oasis that’s spacious, sleek, and sophisticated.
The Crowne Plaza is in a pleasant but characteristically busy area between the airport and downtown. The bland, white, and square exterior belies the luxury within and style throughout: e.g. corridors and stairwells lined with old photos and colonial-style terraces with windows. All rooms and suites are expansive and comfortable, with many overlooking the pool, while others face the road (but all windows are perfectly soundproofed). Situated in the suburbs, the Crowne Plaza can offer more space throughout than downtown rivals, including numerous places to eat/drink, some gardens, and a tropical-style pool surrounded by natural shade and colorful sunbeds. The general area is also more interesting than most, and several pleasant eateries are within a brief stroll.
Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park – The Location
- Address: Corner of Pasumpon Muthuramalinga Thevar (Chamiers) Road and the side street (TTK Road). The main vehicle entrance is along the side street. Inner southern suburbs, but not near any park.
- Area: Business district on the edge of an affluent residential area, so some classy shops and cafés are nearby.
- How to Get There: There are efficient pre-paid taxi counters at the domestic and international airports; the trip takes about 35-45 minutes (12km). (Uber and Ola seem to be off-limits there.) The hotel is linked by metro to the airport, Central and Egmore train terminals, and CMBT (Koyambedu) bus station. See Local Transport below for more information.
Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park – The Basics
- Guests: Mostly business people of all nationalities, and also some tourists.
- Views: Not a tall building, but most rooms offer decent street views from soundproofed windows, while many look inwards and over the pool.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not really expected (or provided) at this sort of suburban business-style hotel.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout for all guests.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)44 2499 4101
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: ihg.com
Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park – Amenities
- Pool: Lovely outdoor pool, with plenty of sunbeds and natural shade from frangipani trees. Offers a sort of tropical-resort vibe.
- Spa: Amartam by the Palms Spa provides better-than-average treatments, though mostly massages and facials. Also, a sauna and steam room.
- Fitness Center: Quite large and certainly well-equipped.
- For Families: Baby-sitting.
- Other Facilities: Boutique. Business Center. Money-changing. Laundry.
Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: The Residency – Renowned for its extensive buffets at lunch and dinner. Also, a la carte menu that includes yummy desserts. • Cappuccino – More than just coffee, e.g. buffets at breakfast and lunch, and extensive a la carte menu including burgers and pizza. Colorful, relaxed, and open 24 hours. • Dakshin – Very stylish setting suitable for cuisine from southern India. Traditional live music nightly. • On The Rocks – Casual and twin-level café/bar/lounge famous for its grills and wine list. Dinner only. • Connexions – Bright and airy meeting spot with a patisserie.
- Bars: The Westminster – Charming English-style pub with leather couches and extended list of imported spirits. • Gatsby 2000 – Hip nightclub with thumping music and flashing lights.
- Breakfast: Not included, but available for an extra charge.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park – Rooms
- Room Types: Club Rooms (King or Twin Beds) • Club King Suites • Deluxe Rooms (King or Twin Beds) • Superior Rooms (King, Double, or Twin Beds) • Junior Suites
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is allowed in some rooms.
- Best Room: The Club King Suites provide extras like airport transfers and access to the Club Lounge with happy hours, as well as a higher floor for superior views.
- For Families: Most rooms and all suites can fit in an extra single bed each. Ask the management about other requirements because the hotel welcomes families.
Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park – Local Transport
- Walking: Faces a busy road which isn’t that pleasant for walking, but the side street (TTK Road) is shady and worthy of exploration.
- Public Transport: The metro offers services to both airport terminals, the major train and bus stations, and the city center. The nearest metro stations – Teynampet (10-minute drive) and Nandanam (10-minute drive) – are both about 1.5km from the hotel.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: The black-and-yellow taxis at the airport are nowhere to be seen in the city. Instead, they have been replaced by the app-based Uber and Ola. Plenty of auto-rickshaws around but the drivers won’t use meters, so they usually cost more than Uber or Ola.
Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- About 300m west of the hotel (away from the junction) is a corner with a prominent Starbucks (4-minute walk).
- On the way, and sharing the same building as each other, are a Subway and Fries Station, a delightful but tiny café serving western and Indian food at very low prices (4-minute walk).
- About 50m up the side-street from Starbucks, Tryst Gourmet is an adorable café, patisserie, and supermarket (5-minute walk).
Another 200m past Starbucks is a major corner with a flyover. In a cluster about 100m apart are:
- Café Coffee Day – One in a countrywide chain of reliable cafés selling drinks and light meals. 9-minute walk (700m).
- Ambrosia Café & Bakery – Delicious baked items. (Attached café was being renovated in mid-2019.) 9-minute walk (700m).
- Hokkaido Japanese Restaurant – Award-winning cuisine and authentic décor at pleasing prices. 9-minute walk (750m).
- Ikkakas Restaurant +01 (0)44 4860 1818 – Specializes in cuisine from the neighboring state of Kerala. Comfortable seating, friendly staff, and cheap prices. 10-minute walk (750m).
Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park – The Hotel
- Ambassador Pallava – Review
- Avenue 11 Boutique Residences – Review
- Courtyard Chennai – Review
- E Hotel – Review
- Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels – Review
- Hyatt Regency Chennai – Review
- La Woods Hotel – Review
- Novotel Chennai Chamiers Road – Review
- Radisson Blu Hotel Chennai City Centre – Review
- The Raintree, Anna Salai – Review
- Residency Towers Chennai – Review
- Taj Club House – Review
- Taj Connemara – Review
- The Residency Chennai – Review