Discovery Candidasa Cottages and Villas – Amid the action, yet tranquil and relaxed.
The cottages offer separate living/dining areas and massive bathrooms, as well as agreeable garden views from expansive patios. Even more appealing are the two-story villas which are secluded, airy, and spacious, and boast sea views. A curved terrace covers the classy bistro, while nearby steps lead to a protected swimming area. But most guests prefer to relax on the sunbeds, lounge chairs, and gazebos facing the circular pool, among the tropical gardens, or on the raised sandy area with dramatic ocean views. The lobby, with its welcoming Balinese décor, is only a hundred meters from the main road with endless cafés and shops, but rooms are sheltered from the continual traffic noise.
Discovery Candidasa Cottages and Villas – The Location
- Address: Jalan Pantai Indah road, Candidasa, on the east coast of Bali.
- Area: Faces the coast in a tranquil area. Along a quiet lane that starts where the main road heads inland, but only 100m from the facilities and transport in Candidasa.
- How to Get There: Few metered taxis and chartered cars from the airport (about 1.5-hour drive) will take anyone this far, so best to arrange transfers from the hotel. See under Local Transport later about tourist shuttle buses.
- Handy to: Snorkeling spots just offshore.
Discovery Candidasa Cottages and Villas – The Basics
- Guests: Caters well for all, so families and couples will feel comfortable.
- Beach: Candidasa is a chain of rocky coves with patches of gritty sand created by breakwaters. There is no beach in front of the hotel, but steps lead to a protected area for swimming and snorkeling just in front.
- Views: All accommodations face the gardens, while the twin-level Pool Villas may offer sea views, foliage permitting.
- Kitchen: Pool Villas feature kitchenettes.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not provided – nor really expected – at this sort of hotel in Candidasa.
- Extras: Bicycle rental.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout the resort.
- Parking: Plenty of free and secure spaces at the reception area, but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (0)363 41145
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: discoverycandidasa.com
Discovery Candidasa Cottages and Villas – Amenities
- Pool: The pool is circular, with a swim-up bar in the middle.
- Spa: The Ayurvedic SPA offers an extensive range of massages and traditional treatments focusing on de-stressing. The best in this part of Candidasa.
- Fitness Center: Perhaps not expected at a smallish resort like this in Candidasa.
- Activities: Wide range of exciting activities including village tours, trekking, and scuba-diving can be arranged through the reception. Yoga Classes on the upper floor.
Discovery Candidasa Cottages and Villas – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The classy Stran Nik Restaurant and Bar provides enjoyable sea views from the open-air terrace. Serves the usual array of Indonesian and Western food, but also good-value set menus and buffets. Some tables are particularly intimate.
- Breakfast: Not normally included but available at the resort for an extra cost.
- Room Service: Limited services available during restaurant hours, i.e. about 7 am to 9 pm.
Discovery Candidasa Cottages and Villas – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Cottage • Pool Villa with 2 or 3 bedrooms
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is not permitted in the rooms and restaurant, but allowed everywhere else.
- Best Room: Pool Villas are lovely: secluded, with 2 levels, sizable private pools, and kitchenettes.
- For Families: Pool Villas (with 2 or 3 bedrooms) feature kitchenettes, separate living rooms, and decent-sized pools.
Discovery Candidasa Cottages and Villas – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: The main road through Candidasa is only 1 km long and an easy walk. It is flat and reasonably wide (but very busy), so bicycles are a good option. These can be rented from the hotel.
- Public Transport: Long-distance minibuses pass by along the road between Amlapura and Denpasar (via the turnoff to Padangbai), but are not really needed in the local area.
- Shuttle Bus: The main island-wide operator, Perama, offers several services daily to Kuta, Ubud, and Lovina, all via Padangbai. The office is at the far western end of the main road, 1.2 km away.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: There are no metered taxis in this area, so charter a car with a driver from someone along the main road, or better, through the hotel. Renting a car is possible from local agencies (but not recommended anywhere in Bali), while motorbikes are easy to rent and a terrific way to explore the east coast.
Discovery Candidasa Cottages and Villas – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Several quiet and pleasant places can be found along the lane within a few minutes’ walk of the resort, including:
- Warung Candidasa Moka – Delicious coffee and simple meals, opposite the hotel entrance.
- Rathbone’s – Agreeable poolside eatery at the Bali Seascape Beach Club, 100m further along.
- Ganesh – Enticing daily specials and likably peculiar décor, 300m past the Seascape.
- The 1 km-long main road is bursting with all sorts of shops, from minimarts to souvenir stalls. No malls, but enough places to satisfy most.
Candidasa is an ideal base for exploration of the east coast, including:
- Tenganan (6 km) – Fascinating millennia-old village pre-dating Hinduism. Maybe get a lift up by car or motorbike. The walk downhill (5 km) to the main road in Candidasa is delightful.
- Pasir Putih (8 km) – One of Bali’s premier beaches, yet still remarkably underdeveloped. Accessible by public transport and lovely walk (1.5 km) from the turnoff at Bugbug village.
- Padangbai (14 km) – With a scenic cove, more renowned as the terminal for speedboats to the Gili Islands. Accessible by public minibus, shuttle bus, and/or motorbike taxi.
- Tirta Gangga (16 km) – Bali’s most exquisite water palace is accessible by public transport via Amlapura or shuttle bus.