Five Princes Hotel – Boutique allure and serenity, swapping convenience for colonial charm.
With Fijian crafts, a library and comfortable lounge under shuttered windows, the lobby is immediately welcoming at this delightful century-old lodge. The handful of inviting rooms feature old-style furniture, highly-polished floorboards, and garden views, while the clunky overhead fans add to the genuine colonial feel. Steps through tropical gardens lead to the stylish bures (bungalows). Separate, secluded, and spacious, they feature kitchenettes and wooden-floor porches, and can accommodate families of four. All this loveliness comes at a cost to convenience, however, with nothing worthwhile within walking distance, though downtown is only five minutes by regular buses from Five Princes, Suva’s premier boutique hotel.
Five Princes Hotel – The Basics
- Location: At 5 Princes Road, in the suburbs of Suva, on the main island of Viti Levu. About 100m up from where Edinburgh Drive (the main road from Suva) ends. About 3 km from central Suva and 30km from the airport.
- Guests: Probably more for older couples who enjoy history, serenity, and gardens.
- Beach: There is no beach anywhere in or around Suva. The nearest is at Pacific Harbour, about 50 km to the west, and not too far for a day trip by bus.
- Views: All rooms face the gardens and/or lawns.
- WiFi: Not included for guests. A pre-paid system is available through the hotel.
- Parking: Available free for guests (but note that the entrance lane from the road is very narrow).
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (679) 338 1575
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: fiveprinceshotel.com
Five Princes Hotel – Amenities
- Pool: The pool is apparently the first ever built in Suva, but has been modernized since.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided in this midrange historical building.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided.
Five Princess Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The laidback café-cum-bar on the wooden terrace is a delight. With some distant sea views, it serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with a flexible menu which changes daily. According to the website: “We don’t believe in menus.”
- Breakfast: Free if guests book 5 or more nights. Otherwise, breakfast is offered in the wonderful open-air café for a reasonable cost.
- Room Service: Meals from the café can be delivered to the rooms.
Five Princes Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: Boutique Room • Garden Bure (bungalow) • The Villa (only 1)
- Smoking Rooms: Unusually, smoking is allowed in several ground floor rooms.
- Best Room: The Villa is huge, with a colonial-style bedroom, modern luxurious bathroom, and walls lined with local art. With 2 bedrooms, a kitchen, lounge/dining area, and private terrace packed with plants.
Five Princes Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Not in a tourist area, so there’s nothing worthwhile within walking distance. Instead, catch a bus or taxi to the city center and try:
- Contain Yourself Café – Friendly, with sea views and wooden decking. For wraps, pastas, and vegetarian meals. On Edward Street, behind the Post Office.
- Tiko’s Floating Restaurant – In a boat attached to Ratu Sukuna Park in the city center. For seafood, steaks, live music, and a unique setting.
- Prince Albert – In the fabulous Grand Pacific Hotel, along the southern end of the main road, Victoria Parade. Stylish, with a colonial-style setting, silver service, and eyebrow-raising prices.
- Yellow Chilli – Always busy for very tasty Indian food, so come early for a table. On Carnarvon Street, a block up from the main road at the Mobil petrol station.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- A couple of basic shops at the crossroads, 200m down the street. Otherwise, catch a bus or taxi into the city center.
- Buses travel down the hill every few minutes along Edinburgh Drive to the city center and main bus station with services all over the island.
Five Princes Hotel – The Hotel
All Fiji Hotel Reviews
- Aquarius on the Beach
- Bedarra Beach Inn
- Club Fiji Resort
- Club Oceanus
- Fiji Gateway Hotel
- Gecko’s Resort
- Grand Pacific Hotel
- Grand West’s Villas
- Holiday Inn Suva
- Hotel Oasis
- Mercure Nadi
- Oasis Palms Hotel
- Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
- Quest Suva
- Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
- Ramada Suites Wailoaloa Beach Fiji
- Sandy Point Beach Cottages
- Shangri-La’s Fijian Resort & Spa
- Sheraton Fiji Resort
- Sheraton Denarau Villas
- Smugglers Cove Beach Resort & Hotel
- Tanoa Plaza Hotel
- The Crow’s Nest Resort
- The Pearl South Pacific Resort
- Tokatoka Resort Hotel
- Tropic of Capricorn
- Uprising Beach Resort
- Wailoaloa Beach Resort
- Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa