Updated: June 30, 2018
Gecko’s Resort – Modest, serviceable, accessible, affordable and few guests.
Directly opposite the entrance to the opulent Shangri-La Resort, Gecko’s can hold its head high among mid-range options. The décor and facilities are similar to a motel, with spacious and clean rooms that face the garden, so they’re distant from the main road. Bonuses are the Boutique and Handicrafts store onsite with bicycle rental (and flat roads in both directions), as well as a decent pool and playground (albeit tiny). The resort is also part of the Kalevua Cultural Centre, no doubt worthwhile once, but now disappointingly lacklustre from a severe absence of maintenance.
Gecko’s Resort – The Basics
- Location: Along the Coral Coast on the southwestern edge of the main island, Viti Levu. About 58km from Nadi and the airport, and 11km to the pleasant regional centre of Sigatoka.
- Guests: Most likely to be those on a budget, especially if travelling by car.
- Beach: The nearest beach is 1km away at the Shangri-La Resort opposite. The public are entitled to enter the resort to eat there and no-one will stop non-guests from using the beach. Otherwise, catch a bus (30 minutes) to Sunset Strip, via Sigatoka, and get off at the Outrigger Resort.
- Views: Of the garden between the rooms.
- Wi-Fi Internet: Available free in the lobby and restaurant/bar area, but a surcharge in the rooms.
- Parking: Plenty of free and secure parking at the entrance.
- Phone: (679) 652 0200
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: www.geckoresort.com
- How To Book: Booking.com will have the best rates. Use the website specific to your language, currency, and home-country for easiest use: UK • USA • Français • Deutsch • Nederlands.
Gecko’s Resort – Amenities
- Pool: An adequate size and with so few guests, it’s quiet. Sail cloth provides shade.
- Spa: Gecko’s Day Spa offers little more than massages, and staff are not always around.
- Fitness Center: Not expected or provided at this sort of modest hotel.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None.
Gecko’s Resort – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: A humble café offers well-priced meals alongside the pool. Also Fire & Dance shows on weekends. The bar is inviting and has a pool table.
- Breakfast: Included in some rates, depending on how the room is booked.
- Room Service: Not expected or provided.
Gecko’s Resort – Rooms
- Room Types: Only offers Studio Units.
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms, but permitted in the gardens.
- Best Room: All rooms are the same inside. Ask for a quieter room in a corner of the block.
Gecko’s Resort – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Across the road, and about 1km (15-minute walk) along the causeway, the Shangri-La Resort has 6 places to eat, where meals are delicious but prices high. These include:
- Takali Terrace – seaside, buffet dinners, evening entertainment and congenial bar.
- Beach Bar & Grill – stunning setting for steaks, pizza and Fijian food.
- Golden Cowrie Restaurant & Lounge – classy and seaside, specialising in Italian cuisine.
- Connect Café (980 5251) – at the start of the causeway to the Shangri-La. Modest layout and affordable burgers, pizzas and wraps.
- Otherwise, catch a bus or taxi to Sigatoka, with a range of simple cafés and takeaway shops.
- Market or Grocery: A well-stocked general store is onsite, and another is in the Shangri-La Resort, 1km away. Otherwise, head to Sigatoka.
Intercity buses between Suva and Nadi pass by every hour or so. More regular local buses (and unmetered taxis) head to Sigatoka, 11km away.
Gecko’s Resort – The Hotel
- Best Hotels in Fiji
- Best Family Hotels in Fiji
- Aquarius on the Beach – Review
- Bedarra Beach Inn Fiji – Review
- Club Fiji Resort – Review
- Club Oceanus – Review
- Fiji Gateway Hotel
- Five Princes Hotel – Review
- Grand Pacific Hotel – Review
- Grand West’s Villas – Review
- Holiday Inn Suva – Review
- Hotel Oasis – Review
- Mercure Nadi – Review
- Oasis Palms Hotel – Review
- Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort – Review
- Quest Suva – Review
- Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island – Review
- Ramada Suites Wailoaloa Beach Fiji – Review
- Sandy Point Beach Cottages – Review
- Shangri-La’s Fijian Resort & Spa – Review
- Sheraton Fiji Resort – Review
- Sheraton Denarau Villas – Review
- Smugglers Cove Beach Resort – Review
- Tanoa Plaza Hotel – Review
- The Crow’s Nest Resort – Review
- The Pearl Resort – Review
- Tokatoka Resort Nadi – Review
- Tropic of Capricorn and Bamboo Tropic – Review
- Uprising Beach Resort – Review
- Wailoaloa Beach Resort – Review
- Westin Denarau Island Resort & Spa – Review