The Gordon House Hotel – With serenity and old-fashioned charm, it’s also affordable and convenient.
This guesthouse is infinitely more appealing than almost all others in this fabulous inner-city area which is packed with places to eat, drink, and shop. Rooms are spread across three floors within a whitewashed colonial-style building, and decorated according to which level the rooms are on: ‘Scandinavian’, ‘English Country’, and ‘Mediterranean’. All are admirably spacious and feature suitably colorful furniture and plenty of windows offering light and views. The other major selling points are the affordable rates (which include breakfast) among overpriced rivals nearby, trendy bistro and lively bar/nightclub on-site, and excellent location, close to the seaside and Gateway of India monument.
The Gordon House Hotel – The Location
- Address: 5 Battery Street, in an area known as Apollo Bunder in the inner southern part of the city. Nearest and easiest landmark is the Regal Cinema (150m). Facing that building, head right, turn left, and left again.
- Area: Fabulous area packed with all sorts of facilities. Less than 400m from the sea.
- How to Get There: From the airport, get a taxi at a pre-paid counter (30 km; 1-hour drive, longer during peak times). The iconic CSMT train station is 15 minutes (2.5 km) away.
- Handy to: Gateway of India. Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus.
The Gordon House Hotel – The Basics
- Guests: Independent travelers appreciating the convenience and affordability.
- Views: All rooms overlook the streets, which are comparatively quiet.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Certainly not expected (or provided) at this sort of inner-city guesthouse.
- Extras: Daily newspaper delivered to each room.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)22 6124 5800
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: ghhotel.com
The Gordon House Hotel – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Not expected (or provided).
- Other Facilities: Laundry. Travel advice/bookings.
The Gordon House Hotel – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: All Stir Fry – Spacious area, and super-friendly chefs dishing out modern versions of Indian curries and Chinese noodles.
- Breakfast: Hearty cooked breakfast included.
- Room Service: The café/bar on-site is independently operated. They can deliver to the rooms, but no normal room service is offered by the guesthouse.
The Gordon House Hotel – Rooms
- Room Types: All rooms are virtually the same size and layout, only the décor differs: ‘Scandinavian’, ‘English Country’, or ‘Mediterranean’. Also, a single Versailles Suite. • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking is allowed on the premises.
- Best Room: The single Versailles Suite provides a unique old-French décor that includes a chandelier and marble bathroom.
- For Families: Not really set up for families, but the management is happy to accept children and may be able to arrange at least one extra single bed in the rooms.
The Gordon House Hotel – Local Transport
- Walking: Fascinating area for walking, with so many cafés, bars, and shops nearby – often upmarket and in colonial-era buildings. Comparatively quiet and shady streets, and extended sidewalk along the esplanade less than 400m away.
- Public Transport: Nothing of any use to tourists. The Mumbai Metro probably won’t reach this far until about 2023.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: Plenty of taxis. Use the black-and-yellow ones and insist on using the meter. Rides can also be booked using Uber and Ola apps. No auto-rickshaws in this area.
The Gordon House Hotel – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Fabulous choices within 300m in all directions.
- The Table – Award-winning and very swish, with extended communal tables on the ground floor and more intimate seating upstairs. Haute cuisine and no curries. On the first corner heading right from the guesthouse.
- Bademiya – Always popular for tasty Indian food at local prices in a simple setting. Non-vegetarian options available. From the guesthouse, head left, walk over the road, past the namesake kebab stand (open evenings), and turn right.
- Indigo Delicatessen – Chic bistro with wooden tables. Ever-changing menu includes sandwiches, ribs, and pizzas, as well as take-away breads and cheeses. 50m further towards the sea from The Table.
- Pizza Express +91 (0)22 6656 2633 – Opposite Indigo Delicatessen. Renowned across the city, so it’s always busy. Lovely setting on two levels.
- Leopold Café +91 (0)22 2282 8185 – 150-year-old institution featuring adorable décor, fascinating photos, and clunky fans. Very popular, but slightly overpriced. Entrance easy to miss among market stalls along the main road. From the guesthouse, turn left, right, and then left at the main road.
Nearby Shops & Markets
- As a popular tourist area, there are plenty of shops in the neighborhood. The best range is along the backstreet behind the Taj Mahal Palace hotel and inside this iconic hotel. Tailors and jewelers are a specialty. Sidewalks along Shahid Bhagat Singh Road, one block behind the old wing, are full of market stalls. Especially busy around Leopold Café (see above).
- Directly opposite the hotel, the majestic Gateway of India was built in 1911 to commemorate the visit of the English king. More iconic than interesting, there’s little to see, but the harborside setting is pleasant and the people-watching, fascinating. Boat tours also available. Free entry, and open 24/7. Less than 400m; just head down the road towards the sea.
The Gordon House Hotel – The Hotel
All Mumbai Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Time to Visit Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Time to Visit Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Best Time to Visit Chennai
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Time to Visit Delhi
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Time to Visit Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Time to Visit Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Time to Visit Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Time to Visit Kolkata