Grand Chennai – Simply more appealing and better value than almost every other hotel in Chennai.
Grand in name and style, this is a cut above virtually every multi-star hotel across the city. The atrium lobby is graceful – rather than unnecessarily opulent – and typical of the hotel’s character throughout. All the amenities are provided, including an indoor pool, but everything comes with a genuine panache and subtle elegance absent almost anywhere else. Rooms are very nice, too, and feature glass desks, sweeping city views, and splashes of color on the floors and walls. Little touches add to the appeal, such as potted plants and free cookies and fruits in the rooms. The hotel’s also in an interesting area and only minutes from a metro station (with direct links to the airport and downtown).
Grand Chennai – The Location
- Address: 120 Sir Theagaraya Road in the inner southern suburb known as T. Nagar. On the corner with Giriyappa Road, along which is the main entrance.
- Nearest Metro: Teynampet metro station is just 400m from the hotel.
- Area: Residential and business district, with plenty of shade, shops, and cafés.
- How to Get There: There are efficient pre-paid taxi counters at the domestic and international airports; the trip takes about 45 minutes (12 km). (Uber and Ola seem to be off-limits there.) The hotel is linked by metro to the airport, Central and Egmore train terminals, and CMBT (Koyambedu) bus station. See Local Transport below for more information.
Grand Chennai – The Basics
- Guests: Combination of business people and tourists, but also popular with families.
- Views: All rooms and suites on or above the 2nd floor provide excellent city views.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not really expected (or provided) at this sort of inner-city hotel in Chennai.
- Extras: Daily newspaper delivered to each room. Some guests have access to the Club Lounge, which also includes free laundry and airport transfers.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)44 2815 5500
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: grthotels.com
Grand Chennai – Amenities
- Pool: In the basement and indoors, so not as inviting as others, but decent enough.
- Spa: Accessed through a side entrance, the spa provides traditional treatments and well-trained staff. Substantial discounts for hotel guests.
- Fitness Center: Small but adequate. Open 24 hours.
- For Families: Cots. Baby-sitting.
- Other Facilities: Business center (open 24/7). Money-changing. Laundry. Guest lounges.
Grand Chennai – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Bazaar – Open 24/7, it’s bright and funky. Upmarket versions of Indian street food, as well as salads and pizzas. Gets crowded for buffet breakfast. Patisserie and coffee shop attached. • J. Hind – Very striking traditional-style décor, yet the Indian cuisine is contemporary. Sports bar attached. • Steam & Whistles – Very attractive bar/lounge over 3 levels. A 1920’s theme and pub-style meals. Also, DJs and/or live music until late. • The Art Bistro – Trendy lounge and meeting spot. Plenty of art to admire and coffee/tea to enjoy.
- Breakfast: Included in most rates, but this depends on how the room was booked.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Grand Chennai – Rooms
- Room Types: Business Class Rooms • Serene Rooms • Grand Club Rooms • Deluxe Suites • Theme Suites • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Entire level of rooms for smokers.
- Best Room: The Theme Suites are magnificent and twice the size of all other rooms. Featuring separate living areas, massage chairs, walk-in closets, and Club benefits.
- For Families: All rooms can easily fit in extra single beds, while the suites can accommodate families of 4 with ease. Some rooms have connecting doors.
Grand Chennai – Local Transport
- Walking: Plenty of sidewalks so walking around the area is pleasant. Shady backstreets and plenty of shops along the main road in front.
- Public Transport: The metro offers services to both airport terminals, the major train and bus stations, and the city center. The nearest metro stations – Teynampet – is 400m from the hotel.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: The black-and-yellow taxis at the airport are nowhere to be seen in the city. Instead, they have been replaced by the app-based Uber and Ola. Plenty of auto-rickshaws around but the drivers won’t use meters, so they usually cost more than Uber or Ola.
Grand Chennai – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
A few options across the road from the hotel, including a KFC.
- Merlion Kitchen – In a modest hotel opposite the side entrance of the Grand Chennai. Unfussy service and hearty portions at excellent prices..
- Residency Towers – This hotel, easy to find on the next block, offers several great options: Main Street (adorable Paris-style café), Southern Aromas (classy décor and tasty regional Indian food), and Bike & Barrel (friendly sports bar). (300m).
The finest selection is along the side street (North Boag Road) besides the Residency Towers hotel. As well as a Subway, supermarket, and 2 health-food stores, are:
- Bowl’d +91 955 16 04056 – Hip vegetarian café offering make-it-yourself organic salads. (200m).
- 10 Downing Street – Almost as posh as it sounds, an English-style pub for grills, live music, and imported spirits. (400m).
- Quite a few interesting places along the main road. Some call themselves ‘malls’ but are really just a handful of shops in one building; certainly not malls in the conventional sense.
Grand Chennai – The Hotel
All Chennai Hotel Reviews
- Ambassador Pallava
- Avenue 11 Boutique Residences
- Courtyard by Marriott
- Crowne Plaza Adyar Park
- E Hotel
- Hyatt Regency
- La Woods Hotel
- Novotel Chamiers Road
- Radisson Blu City Centre
- Raintree, Anna Salai
- Residency Towers
- Taj Club House
- Taj Connemara
- The Residency
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai