Home > Grand Chennai Hotel Review
by Santorini Dave • Updated: October 9, 2019
Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels – Simply more appealing and better value than almost every other hotel in Chennai.
Grand in name and style, this is a cut above virtually every multi-star hotel across the city. The atrium lobby is graceful – rather than unnecessarily opulent – and typical of the hotel’s character throughout. All the amenities are provided, including an indoor pool, but everything comes with a genuine panache and subtle elegance absent almost anywhere else. Rooms are very nice, too, and feature glass desks, sweeping city views, and splashes of color on the floors and walls. Little touches add to the appeal, such as potted plants and free cookies and fruits in the rooms. The hotel’s also in an interesting area and only minutes from a metro station (with direct links to the airport and downtown).
Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels – The Location
- Address: 120 Sir Theagaraya Road in the inner southern suburb known as T. Nagar. On the corner with Giriyappa Road, along which is the main entrance.
- Area: Residential and business district, with plenty of shade, shops, and cafés. Roadworks (due to finish by late 2020) should improve sidewalks and traffic flow.
- How to Get There: There are efficient pre-paid taxi counters at the domestic and international airports; the trip takes about 30-40 minutes (12km). (Uber and Ola seem to be off-limits there.) The hotel is linked by metro to the airport, Central and Egmore train terminals, and CMBT (Koyambedu) bus station. See Local Transport below for more information.
Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels – The Basics
- Guests: Combination of business people and tourists, but also popular with families.
- Views: All rooms and suites on or above the 2nd floor provide excellent city views.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not really expected (or provided) at this sort of inner-city hotel in Chennai.
- Extras: Daily newspaper delivered to each room. Some guests have access to the Club Lounge, which also includes free laundry and airport transfers.
- Wi-Fi: Free throughout, but deliberate restrictions on uploading (not downloading).
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)44 2815 5500
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: grthotels.com
Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels – Amenities
- Pool: In the basement and indoors, so not as inviting as others, but decent enough.
- Spa: Accessed through a side entrance, the spa provides traditional treatments and well-trained staff. Substantial discounts for hotel guests.
- Fitness Center: Small but adequate. Open 24 hours.
- For Families: Cots. Baby-sitting.
- Other Facilities: Business center (open 24/7). Money-changing. Laundry. Guest lounges.
Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Bazaar – Open 24/7, it’s bright and funky. Upmarket versions of Indian street food, as well as salads and pizzas. Gets crowded for buffet breakfast. Patisserie and coffee shop attached. • J. Hind – Very striking traditional-style décor, yet the Indian cuisine is contemporary. Sports bar attached. • Steams & Whistles – Very attractive bar/lounge over 3 levels. A 1920’s theme and pub-style meals. Also, DJs and/or live music until late. • The Art Bistro – Trendy lounge and meeting spot. Plenty of art to admire and coffee/tea to enjoy.
- Breakfast: Included in most rates, but this depends on how the room was booked.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels – Rooms
- Room Types: Business Class Rooms • Serene Rooms • Grand Club Rooms • Deluxe Suites • Theme Suites
- Smoking Rooms: Entire level of rooms for smokers.
- Best Room: The Theme Suites are magnificent and twice the size of all other rooms. Featuring separate living areas, massage chairs, walk-in closets, and Club benefits.
- For Families: All rooms can easily fit in extra single beds, while the suites can accommodate families of 4 with ease. Some rooms have connecting doors.
Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels – Local Transport
- Walking: Sidewalks are likely to be finished by 2020, so walking around the area will be far more pleasant. Shady backstreets and plenty of shops along the main road in front.
- Public Transport: The metro offers services to both airport terminals, the major train and bus stations, and the city center. The nearest metro stations – Teynampet – is 400m from the hotel. 5-minute walk.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: The black-and-yellow taxis at the airport are nowhere to be seen in the city. Instead, they have been replaced by the app-based Uber and Ola. Plenty of auto-rickshaws around but the drivers won’t use meters, so they usually cost more than Uber or Ola.
Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
A few options across the road from the hotel, including a KFC (5-minute walk, 400m).
- Merlion Kitchen – In a modest hotel opposite the side entrance of the Grand Chennai. Unfussy service and hearty portions at excellent prices. 1-minute walk (25m).
- Residency Towers – This hotel, easy to find on the next block, offers several great options: Main Street (adorable Paris-style café), Southern Aromas (classy décor and tasty regional Indian food), and Bike & Barrel (friendly sports bar). 4-minute walk (300m).
The finest selection is along the side street (North Boag Road) besides the Residency Towers hotel. As well as a Subway, supermarket, and 2 health-food stores, are:
- Quite a few interesting places along the main road. Some call themselves ‘malls’ but are really just a handful of shops in one building; certainly not malls in the conventional sense.
Grand Chennai by GRT Hotels – The Hotel
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Ambassador Pallava – Review
- Avenue 11 Boutique Residences – Review
- Courtyard Chennai – Review
- Crowne Plaza Chennai Adyar Park – Review
- E Hotel – Review
- Hyatt Regency Chennai – Review
- La Woods Hotel – Review
- Novotel Chennai Chamiers Road – Review
- Radisson Blu Hotel Chennai City Centre – Review
- The Raintree, Anna Salai – Review
- Residency Towers Chennai – Review
- Taj Club House – Review
- Taj Connemara – Review
- The Residency Chennai – Review