SD › Paris › Hotels › Grand Hotel du Palais Royal Review
Updated: April 12, 2022
• Location: Quiet location in the heart of Paris’ 1st arrondissement, near the beautiful Jardin du Palais-Royal and just around the corner from the Louvre.
• Hotel website: grandhoteldupalaisroyal.com
• Hotel phone: +33 1 42 96 15 35
• Check prices for Grand Hotel du Palais Royal
Grand Hôtel du Palais Royal is a boutique hotel hidden just off the Palais Royale in the 1st arrondissement. The 68 rooms and suites in this 18th-century property have a crisp and elegant (but not stuffy) appeal; successfully blending traditional and contemporary furnishings – some have amazing views and private balconies. There’s an excellent in-house restaurant and bar, and spa with Turkish bath. The extra attentive concierge and valet team are top-notch. Great for a romantic getaway or a family sightseeing trip, Grand Hotel du Palais Royal is walking distance to the Louvre, Tuileries Gardens, and other major sites.
Grand Hôtel du Palais Royal – Location
In the heart of Paris’ 1st arrondissement, on a quiet side street near the a beautiful Jardin du Palais-Royal. Just around the corner from the Louvre Museum and Tuileries Gardens, amid luxury shops and great restaurants.
- Address: 4 Rue de Valois
- Nearest Metro: Palais-Royal – Musée du Louvre (1-minute walk), Louvre – Rivoli (5-minute walk), Pyramides (5-minute walk)
- Taxi: Airport taxis to central Paris are charged at a flat rate. Fare from Charles de Gaulle Airport is €55, fare from Orly Airport is €35.
- Private Transfer: We use and recommend Welcome Pickups car service. Booking through a private car service will cost only a bit more than a taxi – about €61 from CDG and €57 from Orly, but can be worth it to avoid the long taxi queue and for the convenience of paying ahead.
Grand Hôtel du Palais Royal – The Basics
- Ages: This hotel is very family friendly. Children are offered toys, treats, and activities, as well as “Little Prince” themed toiletries, robes, and slippers. Cribs, changing mats, bottle warmers, baby baths, and high chairs are all provided. Toy box, PlayStation, DVD player, and scooters are available to borrow on request. There is a dedicated kids’ play room at the hotel, and there are children’s menus at the restaurant, bar, and for room service. Connecting rooms and extra beds are available, and babysitting services can be arranged through the concierge.
- Pet Policy: Extremely pet-friendly. Dogs and cats are given lamb or chicken mini-cupcakes upon arrival, and provided with bowls, bottled water, a pet cushion, and a special welcome note. There is a fee of €35 per pet, per night.
- View: Excellent views of the Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Sacré-Coeur, Opéra Garnier, Palais Royal, and rooftops of the city – especially from the Prestige, Palais Royale, and Panoramic Suites.
- Parking: No on-site parking. Secured public parking is available nearby for €40/day. (No reservation necessary)
- Nice Perks: Free daily newspaper. Atelier Cologne bath amenities.
- When to Book: Book months in advance, especially during the busy travel times of April to October, and December.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +33 1 42 96 15 35
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: grandhoteldupalaisroyal.com
Grand Hôtel du Palais Royal – Amenities
- Pool: No pool.
- Spa: The hotel’s Carita Spa features two treatment rooms (one can accommodate two guests), beauty salon, Turkish bath, and fitness center. The spa menu includes facial and body treatments, waxing, manicures and pedicures, and hairdressing. Open daily from 7am to 11pm.
- Fitness Center: Small 24-hour fitness center with Technogym-brand Kinesis, elliptical trainer, treadmill, and barbells. Private fitness coaching is available on request. The large mosiac-lined Turkish bath is open daily from 9am to 10pm.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: None.
Grand Hotel du Palais Royal – Food and Drink
- Restaurant: Café 52 Paris 1er serves modern, seasonal, and healthy French cuisine for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Sunday brunches are a must-try.
- Lounge/Bar: Bar du Lulli serves hand-crafted cocktails, spirits, beer, and wine from 11am to midnight daily. The bar menu offers lunch and dinner items – croque-monsieur, salad Caesar, club sandwich, burger, and charcuterie and cheese plates – from 11am to 11pm.
- Breakfast: An American-style breakfast buffet is available for an additional fee. 7am to 10:30am daily.
- Room Service: Available 24 hours.
Grand Hôtel du Palais Royal – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior • Deluxe • Junior Suite • Prestige Suite • Palais Royal Suite • Panoramic Suite • List of all rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Grand Hotel du Palais Royal is 100% smoke-free.
- Best Room: The top floor Panoramic Suite features private elevator access, living room, dining room, and an incredible furnished terrace with 180-degree views of Paris: Louvre, Palais-Royal, Montmartre, and the Eiffel Tower.
Grand Hôtel du Palais Royal – What’s Nearby?
- yam’Tcha – Chinese influenced modern French cooking. Very popular – reserve well in advance, try for lunch, or stop by their boutique around the corner for steamed bao.
- Verjus – Contemporary American cooking, prestige ingredients, casual and low key feel.
- Sanukiya – Bustling Japanese restaurant, known for their great udon.
- La Bourse et la Vie – Classic French cooking from American celebrity chef, Daniel Rose.
- Kotteri Ramen Naritake – Cheap, popular, delicious. The best Ramen in Paris.
- Big Fernand – American-style hamburgers done in 6 styles, including mushroom, veal, or chicken. House-made condiments and great fries.
- Angelina – Excellent tea and pastries (and the best hot chocolate in Paris) on the Rue de Rivoli. Great for brunch.
- Carré des Feuillants – Modern French fine dining from renowned chef Alain Dutournier. Two Michelin stars.
- Le Soufflé – Charming restaurant serving expertly-prepared savory and sweet soufflés. Moderately-priced.
- Bouillon Chartier – Traditional French in a historic Belle Époque dining room. Reasonable prices. Great for families.
Nearby Bars & Breweries
- Verjus Bar à Vin – The cozy cave-like wine bar of the much-loved restaurant Verjus. Rotating wine list and French/fusion small plates.
- Juveniles – Charming wine shop-turned-bistro with solid food, reasonable prices, great wine.
- Harry’s New York Bar – Cocktail and piano bar with a storied history and great drinks.
- Bar Hemingway – Intimate, iconic cocktail bar in the Ritz Hotel.
- Frog Hop House – Fun French brew pub with an American sports bar feel.
- Buddha Bar – Trendy restaurant/nightclub with a Southeast Asian theme – go for cocktails and ambiance; the food is overpriced.
Cool Shops Nearby
- Ladurée – Lovely and delicious macarons, pastries, chocolate, and gifts.
- E. Dehillerin – Vast cookware selection; old school copper pans, professional grade knives, unique gifts.
- Forum Des Halles – Huge, modern underground shopping mall with French and international brands, restaurants, a cinema, and an Olympic-sized swimming pool.
- Epices Roellinger Paris – Renowned spice shop that created by a Michelin-starred chef.
- Librairie Galignani – Elegant English-language bookstore with a good cookbook selection and a charming children’s corner.
- Goyard – Exclusive luxury handbags, luggage, and leather goods. One of the few brands that’s unavailable for purchase online.
- Pierre Hermé – Award-winning and creative macarons (try the signature “Ispahan” – a blend of rosewater, raspberry, and lychee).
- Chanel Boutique Cambon – The iconic French designer’s flagship retail location. As much a fashion museum as a shop.
- Galeries Lafayette Haussmann – The most popular department store with tourists in search of famous French brands like Louis Vuitton and Cartier. Also housewares, gourmet foods, and wine.
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Monoprix – The biggest supermarket in the 1st arrondissement. Open from 9am-10pm Mon-Saturday.
- Marché St. Honoré – Outdoor market selling fruit and vegetables, baked goods, fresh ready-to-eat dishes, jewellery, and clothes. 12:30pm-8:30pm Wednesdays; 7am-3pm Saturdays.
- Rue Montorgeuil – One of the best market streets in Paris. Produce, flowers, bakeries, cheese, wine, you name it.
Nearby Attractions & Things to Do
- Comédie Française
- Louvre Museum
- Musée des Arts Décoratifs
- Pont des Arts
- Jardin des Tuileries
- Place Vendome
- Centre Pompidou
- Musée de l’Orangerie
- Musée d’Orsay
- Church of Saint-Germain-des-Pres
- Opéra National de Paris Garnier
- Île de la Cité
Grand Hôtel du Palais Royal – The Hotel
Paris Hotels – Tips and Recommendations
- Best Luxury Hotels in Paris: Shangri-La (old world Paris charm) • Four Seasons George V (5-star luxury)
- Best Boutique Hotels in Paris: Relais Christine (small romantic boutique) • Grand Hôtel Du Palais Royal (great central location)
- Best Mid-range Hotels in Paris: Gardette Park (affordable hotel near the Marais) • Hotel Emile (trendy, central, and fun)
- Paris Hotels with Balcony: Mandarin Oriental • Pullman Tour Eiffel • Le 12 • Hotel Residence Foch • Holiday Inn Notre Dame • Hotel Ekta Champs Elysées • The Peninsula (the garden suite is incredible)
- Paris Hotels with Pool: Le Bristol • Mandarin Oriental • Le Burgundy • Saint James Albany • Shangri-La • The Peninsula • Four Seasons
- Paris Hotels with Kitchen: Fraser Suites Le Claridge Champs-Elysées • La Clef Tour Eiffel • Splendide Royal • Residence Henri IV • Saint James Albany • Citadines Les Halles • Le Patio Bastille • Le Marais Hôtel De Ville
- Paris Hotels with Views of Eiffel Tower: Hotel Plaza Athenee • Pullman Tour Eiffel • Le Parisis • Hôtel Brighton • Shangri-La • Westin Vendôme
- Paris Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Paris
- Best Hotels in Paris for Families
- Best Boutique Hotels in Paris
- Best Cheap Hotels in Paris
- Paris Choice Hotels
- Charles de Gaulle Airport Hotels
- Paris Hotels with Swimming Pools
- Where to Stay in Paris
- Paris Hotel Map
- Paris Hotel Reviews
- Best Time to Visit Paris
- Best Things to Do in Paris
- Best Restaurants in Paris
- Best Bars in Paris
- Best Shops & Markets in Paris
- Best Patisseries & Chocolatiers
- Paris with Kids
- Best Books about Paris
- Visiting Versailles from Paris
- London to Paris by Eurostar Train
Get All New Content• My Travel Newsletter