by Santorini Dave • Updated: May 17, 2019
See Also: The Best Hotels in Bali
Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Bali – Family-friendly with massive gardens, traditional design, and genuine sea views.
Halfway along the peninsula and surrounded by cafés, shops, and water-sports kiosks, this resort is bright, unpretentious, and immensely appealing. The massive tropical grounds have been lovingly crafted with seemingly endless lawns and lagoon-sized ponds. All rooms are spacious, feature an elegant traditional design, and face the sea; most rooms offer genuine and uninterrupted ocean views. Catering very well for families, it offers tempting all-inclusive packages with meals/drinks and nightly traditional performances in its own amphitheater. There’s also a vibrant kids club, children’s pool, playground, and games room, as well as other activities such as tennis, yoga, and cultural lessons. The beach is narrow, but thankfully devoid of noisy and dangerous jet-skis, and the beachside pool features a swim-up bar.
Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Bali – The Location
- Address: Jalan Pratama, the main road through Tanjung Benoa, a quieter resort region in southern Bali.
- Area: Facing the beach in the northern part of the peninsula, with plenty of facilities within walking distance.
- How to Get There: The only way to/from the airport is by metered taxi or chartered car with a driver. This takes about 25 minutes (14km, via the tollway), depending on traffic.
- Handy to: Benoa village.
Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Bali – The Basics
- Guests: Works very hard to attract families, so those without children might find it too noisy.
- Kids Club: The Bamboo Kids’ Club is bright, airy, and supervised, with a playground and lots of lawns and space. Also, computer games, water-sports, mini-golf, and something called ‘banana billiards’.
- Beach: Very appealing, with gazebos and thatched umbrellas. Narrow, but clean and not choked by jet-skis. Some areas cordoned-off for guests.
- Views: All rooms boast lovely views. Many face the sea (more so than at rival resorts), while the remainder overlook the pools, lawns, gardens, and/or ponds.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Some villas feature private pools.
- Wi-Fi: Usually included, but double-check when booking.
- Parking: Enough free and secure parking at the entrance, but think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (0)361 771 888
- Email: Send message through the website grandmirage.com
- Website: grandmirage.com
Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Bali – Amenities
- Pools: Massive lagoon-shaped pool featuring a swim-up bar and facing the beach. Another for families, with a shallow end and waterslide for the younger ones.
- Spa: The Thalasso Spa is an attraction in itself, offering an overwhelming array of treatments and therapies across 16 rooms, and staff trained in France.
- Fitness Center: Impressive selection of equipment. Opens early and closes late.
- For Families: Special family pool with fantastic waterslide.
- Activities: Games Lounge with snooker, ping pong, library, and karaoke. All types of water-sports. Tennis courts. Abundant activities (often part of all-inclusive packages), such as yoga, aerobics, and cooking and cultural lessons. Bicycle rental.
- Other Facilities: Traditional amphitheater on-site for evening entertainment with dinner (often part of all-inclusive packages). Shopping arcade.
Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Bali – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Many guests take all-inclusive packages that include daily meals at these restaurants: Bumbu Delhi – Spicy delights from India. Vegetarian options and superb sea views. • Ibu Kitchen – Contemporary Indonesian cuisine and modern décor. • Chopstick Restaurant – Large and indoors, serving authentic Chinese. • Grand Café Restaurant – Casual dining. Open 24 hours for buffets, often with themes. • Mahi Mahi Kitchen – Smaller, indoors, and open for lunch only. • La Cascata – Classy Italian, popular among families for pizzas. • Jukung Grill on the Beach – Attractive beachside position and enchanting Balinese décor.
- Bars: Coconuts Pool Bar – Swim-up bar for cocktails and juices focusing on coconuts. • Panorama Bar & Music Lounge – Open all evening for cocktails and live music.
- Breakfast: Included in the all-inclusive packages. Otherwise, check when booking.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Bali – Rooms
- Room Types: Premiere Garden • Premiere Ocean • Family Studio Bunk • Family Studio Queen • Kids Suites • Junior Suites • Girls Suites • 2 Bedroom Suites • 3 Bedroom Ocean View Apartments • Ocean View Suites • 2 Bedroom Apartments • 3 Bedroom Family Pool Villas
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking not allowed in the rooms or public areas, but OK elsewhere.
- Best Room: The Ocean View Suites are very spacious and feature living areas and fabulous sea views.
- For Families: Many rooms have connecting doors, and some villas and suites contain 2 or 3 bedrooms. There are options designed particularly for families, such as the Family Studio Bunk rooms and Kids Suites.
Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Bali – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Almost everything required is within walking distance. The main road is long, flat, and comparatively quiet, and bicycles are available for hire at the resort.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: There is no public transport in the area. To reach attractions within southern Bali, metered taxis are cheap and comfortable. Driving a car anywhere in Bali is not recommended, but cars can be rented from a few agencies along the main road, while motorbikes are not as easy to rent as they are elsewhere. For longer distances, hire a car with a driver through the hotel.
- Local Shuttle Buses: No shuttle bus company offers services to/from Tanjung Benoa, including the Kura-Kura Bus. About every hour during shopping time, a free shuttle bus (available to all) links major hotels in Tanjung Benoa with the Bali Collection mall in Nusa Dua (see below).
Grand Mirage Resort and Thalasso Bali – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
Many guests take up the all-inclusive packages that include meals at the resort.
- Black Tom’s – Friendly expat hangout, with tables shaped like beer barrels and live music nightly. Opposite the resort entrance. 1-minute walk (100m).
- Tropical Resto – Terrific café/bar for meeting new friends over a beer, cocktail, or wine. Attractive courtyard setting. Just past Black Tom’s. 2-minute walk (130m).
- Luna Bonita Restaurant (0)361 774 380 – Stylish setting, funky décor, and flavorsome food. 100m past the Tropical. 3-minute walk.
- Chef’s Room – So romantic and relaxed. For healthy food and perfect coffee. About 300m north of the resort. 3-minute walk.
- Lunar Waroeng – Tables inside or among a shady courtyard. Contemporary Indonesian food. 100m past the Chef’s Room. 5-minute walk.
- Minimarts in both directions along the main road, but little else to excite shoppers. So take the free hourly shuttle bus from any resort in Tanjung Benoa to Bali Collection, a delightful outdoor mall in Nusa Dua with department stores, large souvenir shops, and abundant cafés. 10-minute drive (4km).
- Tanjung Benoa is renowned as the epicenter in Bali for all sorts of activities on and above the water. Jet-skiing and parasailing, for example, can be arranged at the resort or more cheaply at Bayu Suta (0)361 772 257, 1km north. 12-minute walk.
- Benoa Village – For a glimpse of genuine Balinese village life about 2km north up the road. Daily market, and unique combination within 100m of each other: church, temple, and mosque. 7-minute drive.