Holiday Inn Airport – Functional, well-priced, handy to facilities, and convenient to the airport.
Much better than just a transit hotel, the Holiday Inn offers decent facilities for business people and anyone with an early departure or late arrival by air. All the usual amenities are provided, including a gym and substantial pool. More importantly, the rooms, and especially the suites, are far more spacious than at rival hotels, and all are amazingly soundproofed considering the hotel is under a flight path. With a cluster of similar-looking (but inferior) hotels nearby, facilities in the immediate area are surprisingly good, including a supermarket next door and western-style mall a short walk away.
Holiday Inn Airport – The Location
- Address: Biswa Bangla Sarani Road, in Rajarhat (also called Chinar Park or New Town). Near the airport.
- Area: Lively business and shopping district, with a supermarket next door and mall nearby. The backstreets are safe and interesting to wander around.
- How to Get There: Taxis from the pre-paid counters at the airport take 10 minutes (4 km), but many categories of rooms at the hotel include 1 or 2-way airport transfers. From the main railway station (Howrah), the hotel is 60 minutes (15 km) by taxi. See Local Transport below for more information about taxis and the metro.
- Handy to: Airport.
Holiday Inn Airport – The Basics
- Guests: Overwhelmingly airline passengers as well as some Indian business people.
- Views: Rooms facing the front overlook the busy road (but with effective soundproofing). Others face another building or empty block. Views are not selling points for airport hotels.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at this sort of airport hotel in Kolkata.
- Extras: Transfers to and/or from the airport may be included, depending on the type of room booked.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)33 6699 6699
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: ihg.com
Holiday Inn Airport – Amenities
- Pool: Decent size and elevated for views. On the rooftop, but shares the area with an ugly and noisy air-conditioning system.
- Spa: Not provided.
- Fitness Center: Small, serviceable, and open 24/7, with a yoga studio, but not that private because of adjacent high-rises and lack of curtains.
- For families: Children can eat free with special deals.
- Other Facilities: Money-changing. Laundry. Business Center (open 24 hours).
Holiday Inn Airport – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Social Kitchen – Bright and cheerful. All-day dining, and a la carte menu and buffets at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. • Urban Kitchen & Bar – Tasty grills and signature cocktails. At a mezzanine level, with live music on most nights. • Royal Bengal Sweet Company – Patisserie and coffee shop at the lobby for all sorts of sweet treats and tasty desserts.
- Breakfast: All suites and executive rooms include breakfast.
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
Holiday Inn Airport – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms • King Bed Deluxe Rooms • King Bed Executive Rooms • King Bed Junior Suites • King Bed Executive Suites • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms or public areas.
- Best Room: King Bed Executive Suites are twice the size of all other rooms and suites, and feature separate living areas.
- For Families: 1 or 2 small children can stay free in their parents’ room. Or book 2 rooms with connecting doors.
Holiday Inn Airport – Local Transport
- Walking: Plenty of shops, cafés, and bars along the main road, which has sidewalks, but is dangerous to cross. Wander around the backstreets for a glimpse of Indian suburban life.
- Public Transport: Buses career along the main road at breakneck speeds but are of no use to tourists. The Kolkata Metro is also not practical, and won’t fully reach the airport and the surrounding areas until finished.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: Unmetered ‘taxis’ (which are just private cars) hang about outside. Far cheaper are the taxis that are yellow (with no air-conditioning) and blue-and-white (with air-con). Both types have meters, but drivers need to be pressured into using them. Metered taxis and auto-rickshaws can be found at the junction about 200m up the street (turn right from the hotel doors). Rides can also be booked using Uber and Ola apps. Cycle-rickshaws are available for short trips.
Holiday Inn Airport – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- To avoid risking serious injury (or worse) by crossing the road, head left (350m) from the hotel doors to Raj Darbar (in Hotel Raj Palace) for reasonably classy Indian food.
- A few decent restaurants are just over the other side of the road, including Ziya Restaurant (350m) and a Domino’s pizza joint in the Hotel Pipal Tree (500m).
- Familiar fast-food outlets (e.g. McDonald’s and KFC) – and several other lesser-known choices – are at the City Centre New Town mall (600m).
- Attached to the mall, hotel Ambuja Neotia Vista offers a couple of tempting options, including the casual Café Swiss with terraced views overlooking the mall atrium and the elegant Durbari restaurant for contemporary Indian. (600m).
- Spencer’s – Next door (turn right) from the Holiday Inn is this well-stocked supermarket which also sells fruit, cakes, and snacks.
- City Centre New Town Mall – The large and western-style mall is attached to the Ambuja Neotia Vista hotel about 600m east along the road (away from Spencer’s).
- Dakshineswar Kali Temple – Historic Hindu temple, built in 1855, featuring a vast courtyard, 12 shrines dedicated to Shiva, a Radha-Krishna temple, and a bathing ghat by the riverfront. (13 km).
- Mother House – Also known as Missionaries of Charity, it houses the tomb of Mother Teresa as well as her photographs, awards, articles, and belongings. The description of work done by her charity is eye-opening. (14 km).
- Howrah Bridge – This famous Kolkata landmark is the world’s busiest and sixth biggest cantilever bridge. Built in 1943, it connects Kolkata with the important Howrah Station, and features wide footpaths full of pedestrians on both sides. (14 km).
- Indian Museum – This must-see museum is the country’s largest and oldest. It houses a world-class collection of ancient artifacts from India and beyond, along with Raj-era relics housed in an occasionally frustrating manner. Open from 10 am to 6.30 pm on weekdays and until 8 pm on weekends. (15 km).
- Victoria Memorial – Kolkata’s most popular attraction, this opulent British-era white marble replica of the original Victoria Memorial in London was built to commemorate Queen Victoria’s 25-year rule of India. In addition to lush gardens, statues, and sculptures, there are sound and light shows from March to June (7:45 pm). Open daily from 11 am to 4pm. (20 km).
Holiday Inn Airport – The Hotel
All Kolkata Hotel Reviews
- Ambuja Neotia Vista
- De Sovrani
- Elgin Fairlawn
- Hindusthan International
- Ivy House
- LaLiT Great Eastern
- Lytton Hotel
- Oberoi Grand
- Park Hotel
- Peerless Inn
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai