Home > Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho Hotel Review
Updated: October 9, 2019
Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho – Quaint family-run guesthouse in a tranquil and convenient old-city location.
This bright-blue, 150-year-old guesthouse is in the quietest part of the old quarter in Panaji (Panjim), the state capital. It offers a handful of adorably renovated and admirably spacious rooms, each with lofty ceilings, high beds, and a mix of old-style furniture. Those on the upper floor feature private sections of the terraced balcony, while rooms at ground level feature porches. Very well-maintained, and with friendly staff and manager, this is certainly a cut above nearby rivals. Only a short stroll from the rivers, churches, shops, and other attractions around the old city.
Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho – The Location
- Address: Rua de Natal street, in the suburb of Fontainhas, in the old part of Panaji (Panjim), the state capital. In a bright-blue building at the end of a 100m lane branching off the main street, Rua 31 de Janeiro (31st January Road).
- Area: Delightful section of the old city with winding lanes and narrow streets of brightly-colored heritage-listed buildings. About 100m west of the secondary river, Ourém, and 500m south of the main river, Mandovi.
- How to Get There: From the airport (26km, 60-minute drive), there is little choice except overpriced pre-paid taxis. The hotel is 1.5km from the Panaji KTC bus stand (5-minute drive), which has connections all over Goa. The train station at Margao (Madgaon) is 37km (90-minute drive) and at Vasco da Gama is 29km (60-minute drive) away.
- Handy to: Old city of Panaji (Panjim)
Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho – The Basics
- Guests: Budget-minded travelers of all ages.
- Views: Rooms at the front overlook the quiet lane, while those to the side face nearby buildings. Views are better than expected.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Certainly not expected (or provided) at this historic inner-city guesthouse.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout for all guests.
- Parking: No parking is possible on-site, but there are enough spots along the lane just outside the front.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 952 777 8884
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: hadbgoa.com
Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho – Amenities
- Pool, Spa & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided.
- Other Facilities: Laundry.
Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Nowhere to eat or drink on-site.
- Breakfast: Decent cooked breakfast included in all rates.
- Room Service: With no café on-site, room service is not offered.
Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms • Executive Rooms • Premium Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: An old wooden building, so no smoking is allowed on the premises.
- Best Room: The finest room is on the upper floor, with a wrap-around balcony and 3 windows.
- For Families: The Premium Rooms already have an extra single bed and plenty of space for another. Also, a substantial sitting area.
Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho – Local Transport
- Walking: Fantastic area to wander about, but sidewalks along the narrow streets can be awkward at times.
- Public Transport: No metro or any local trains of use to tourists. To reach the beaches, take a public bus from the Panaji KTC bus stand to the regional hubs of Mapusa for the north or Margao (Madgaon) for the south.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: The few black-and-yellow taxis have meters, but drivers won’t use them. These are best arranged through reception. App-based rides, Uber and Ola, don’t operate anywhere in Goa, but the local alternative – Goa Miles – is worth trying. A few auto-rickshaws are available for local trips, but of course, they also refuse to use their meters.
- Cars & Motorbikes: Goa is the only place in India where renting a car or motorbike is feasible. No internationally-recognized agencies are present, so renting at a local shop presents obvious risks. Best to organize through the hotel. Rides on the back of a motorbike (called a ‘pilot’) are possible; ask around.
Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Mamaramma – Limited menu but delightfully cozy setting. Light meals, daily specials, and world-class coffee. Adjacent to the lovely old St. Sebastian’s chapel. 100m down the lane from the guesthouse. 1-minute walk.
- Viva Panjim – Easy to miss down an alley, the setting is serene and the décor, fascinating. Focus on Goan cuisine. 130m south down the main street, Rua 31 de Janeiro. 1-minute walk.
- Desbue – Unique menu of tempting ‘European fusion’ meals. Gorgeous décor and excellent service add to the appeal. Bright-green building on a corner, just meters past the turn-off to Viva Panjim. 2-minute walk (160m).
- Bombay Coffee Roasters – Unassuming corner position, but far larger than imagined. Popular hangout on 2 levels for drinks, sandwiches, light meals, and free Wi-Fi. 200m past Viva Panjim. 4-minute walk (300m).
- Venite Bar & Restaurant – Charming upstairs location. Fascinating décor and tiniest possible balconies hovering over the sidewalk. Easy to miss in the guesthouse of the same name, 350m north up the main street. 4-minute walk.
- Down the Road & Riverfront Restaurant – Overlooking the old bridge, the views and food at the Riverfront are excellent. Down the Road bar/nightclub is on a lower floor. Head directly east to Ourém River and then turn left. 5-minute walk (400m).
- The streets and narrow alleys of the old city are lined with all sorts of interesting shops, but they’re mostly for locals, not tourists.
- The fascinating old city has some of the finest examples of colonial-era buildings anywhere in India. Beautifully renovated or delightfully crumbling, and often painted bright blue or yellow, these are dotted all over the streets near the hotel. But note: this is not Old Goa, which is about 10km east.
Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho – The Hotel
All Goa Hotel Reviews
- The Acacia Hotel & Spa Goa
- Alagoa Resort
- Alila Diwa
- The Avenue Calangute
- Beleza by the Beach
- Casablanca Resort
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Goa Candolim
- The Crown Goa
- The Diwa Club
- Fortune Acron Regina
- Goa Villagio Resort & Spa
- Hard Rock Hotel Goa
- Holiday Inn Resort, Goa
- Hyatt Centric Candolim Goa
- John’s Highland Comfort Guest House
- Karma Royal Haathi Mahal
- La Sunila Suites
- Lemon Tree Amarante Beach Resort
- Mateus Boutique Hotel
- Novotel Goa Candolim Hotel
- Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort Hotel
- Panjim Inn, Pousada, & Peoples
- Radisson Goa Candolim
- Radisson Blu Resort Goa Cavelossim Beach
- River Castle
- Santana Beach Resort
- Sonesta Inns
- Tranquility Cottage Resort
- Whispering Palms Beach Resort
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Time to Visit Goa
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai