Breitner House – Intimate 5-star luxury in southeast Amsterdam.
Overlooking Oosterpark, this former 19th century artist’s residence has been turned into an exclusive 5-star hotel comprising just two individually decorated suites. Staying here is like staying in a good friend’s luxurious home, with a wonderfully warm, personalized welcome from your hosts. The rooms are not unlike a period movie set, with both suites featuring chandelier-studded ornamental ceilings, canopy beds, original art, and museum-quality antique furniture, combined with mod cons that include Nespresso machines.
Breitner House – Location
- Address: Oosterpark 87-88, 1092 AW Amsterdam.
- Nearest Tram: Linnaeusstraat.
- Area: The hotel faces the southeast corner of Oosterpark across a relatively busy main street. The surrounding streets form an affluent residential neighborhood, with easy tram connections to De Pijp, the Southern Canal Ring, and Plantage. Walkable to the Royal Zoo and the Dutch Resistance Museum.
- How to Get There: Take the train from Schiphol Airport to Centraal Station, then metro 51, 53 or 54 to Weesperplein. Then take tram #1 to the Linnaeusstraat stop. Breitner Hotel is a 1-minute walk away.
- Handy to: Oosterpark, Royal Zoo, Dutch Resistance Museum.
Breitner House – The Basics
- Ages: The hotel is an adults-only romantic retreat; many guests are honeymooners.
- View: Both suites come with tranquil garden views.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: No private pools/jacuzzis.
- Laundry: In-room laundry service.
- Extras: Owners Camilla and Guido are exceptionally knowledgeable about the city, and happy to share that knowledge. A personal guide can be arranged to show you the city according to your interests. Sweets are created daily for guests by the pastry chef.
- When to Book: Reserve 3 or 4 months in advance for the mid-March to mid-May tulip season, the July and August high season, and the Christmas-New Year period.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: 020-463-6450
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: breitnerhouse.com
Breitner House – Amenities
- Pool: No pool.
- Spa: No spa.
- Fitness Center: No fitness center.
- For Disabled Guests: Not suitable for disables guests due to stair access.
- For Families: No family-friendly amenities.
Breitner House – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: There is no in-house restaurant, but there are a number of dining options an easy walk away.
- Lounge/Bar: No bar onsite, though each of the suites comes with a minibar, and there are several bars within a few minutes’ walk from the hotel.
- Breakfast: An exceptional complimentary breakfast, served in the period dining room, is included in the price. Expect breads, cold cuts, fruit, perfectly poached eggs, champagne, and special touches, freshly made daily.
- Room Service: No room service.
Breitner House – Rooms
- Room Types: Isaac Israels Suite (with Garden) • George Breitner Suite (with Garden View)
- Smoking Rooms: The suites at Breitner House are 100% smoke-free, but there is a designated smoking area.
- Best Room: Both suites are individually decorated with sumptuous furnishings and palatial bathrooms; the ground-floor Isaac Israels Suite also benefits from its own private garden terrace.
- For Families: No family rooms available.
Breitner House – Local Transport
- Walking: Tropen Museum is 5 minutes’ walk, while the Dutch Resistance Museum and the Royal Zoo are a 20-minute stroll. Walkable to De Pijp and Hermitage Amsterdam.
- Tram: From the nearby Linnaeusstraat stop, tram #3 runs west to De Pijp and the Museum Quarter, while from the nearby Wijttenbachstraat stop, tram #19 runs north and then west, passing through the Southern Canal Ring, and along the southern half of the Jordaan district.
- Taxis, Uber: Taxis and Uber charge around €35 from the airport to the hotel. Within the city, Uber rides cost around half of taxi fares. It’s often quicker to walk, cycle, or jump on a tram.
Breitner House – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants
- Mister Chen X Cha House – Hong Kong-style dim sum, bowls of ramen soup, and a range of Japanese dishes. 1-minute walk.
- Pata Negra – Excellent array of classic Spanish tapas, and an extensive selection of Spanish tipples. 2-minute walk.
- Roopram Roti – Canteen-style Surinamese eatery, serving inexpensive dishes such as roti with spicy chicken curry. 5-minute walk.
- Smokin’ Barrels – Gourmet burgers, steaks, ribs, and beer in a trendy industrial-style setting. Nice outdoor terrace. Dinner only. 8-minute walk.
- Café Maxwell – Burgers and other pub grub, an excellent beer selection, and a large outdoor terrace, popular with locals after work. 8-minute walk.
- Marits Eeetkamer – Multi-course vegan tasting menus, locally, seasonally, and organically sourced. Stylish decor, organic wines, local beer. Reservations recommended. 11-minute walk.
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
- Spargo – Bar-restaurant with a busy outdoor terrace, several local craft brews on tap, and basic bar food, from pizza to burgers. 3-minute walk.
- De Biertuin – Its terrace is hugely popular with locals; the Beer Garden has 16 local brews on tap, and over 65 Dutch and Belgian bottled beers. 5-minute walk.
- Bar Louie Louie – Trendy bar gets packed in the evenings with locals. Numerous local bottled beers, sangria by the jug, cocktails, dishes, and snacks from around the world. 6-minute walk.
- Bar Bukowski – Chilled out art deco café, good for coffee, milkshake, brunch, or a lazy afternoon nursing an Oedipus or Brouwerij ‘t IJ craft beer. 6-minute walk.
Nearby Market or Grocery
Breitner House – The Hotel
All Amsterdam Hotel Reviews
- Crane Hotel Faralda
- Sir Adam Hotel
Southern Canal Ring
- American Hotel Amsterdam
- Banks Mansion
- Hotel Seven One Seven
- Mokum Suites
- Seven Bridges Hotel
- Waldorf Astoria
- Hotel Okura Amsterdam
- Sir Albert
- InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
- Lloyd Hotel
- Zoku Amsterdam
- AMS Suites (Temporarily Closed)
- Morgan & Mees
- Mr. Jordaan
Medieval Center & Red Light District
- art’otel Amsterdam
- Eric Vökel Boutique Apartments – Amsterdam Suites
- De L’Europe Amsterdam
- Hotel Estheréa
- Hotel TwentySeven
- Hotel V Nesplein
- INK Hotel Amsterdam – MGallery
- Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam
- Luxury Suites Amsterdam
- Misc Eatdrinksleep
- NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen
- NH Collection Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
- Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam
- W Amsterdam
Vondelpark & Museum Quarter Hotels
- The College Hotel
- Conservatorium Hotel
- Hotel De Hallen
- Hotel JL No76
- Pillows Luxury Boutique Hotel Anna Van Den Vondel Amsterdam
- Hotel The Neighbour’s Magnolia
Western Canal Ring Hotels
- Best Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Family Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Boutique Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Budget Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Airport Hotels in Amsterdam
- Where to Stay in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Hotel Map
- Best Time to Visit Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Tours & Things to Do
- Best Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Bars, Breweries, & Tasting Rooms
- Best Amsterdam Shops & Markets
- Amsterdam with Kids
- Complete Amsterdam Travel Guide