Hotel Kemps Corner – Cute, convenient, and great value – with much more to like besides.
As popular with Indian tourists as foreigners, this hotel is easy to spot: bright blue and only meters from a flyover that’s part of a major inner-city thoroughfare. Most rooms are compact, bordering on undersized, but quaint and likable, with an almost Mediterranean flair, e.g. murals on the walls of rooms with names like ‘The Grandma’s Shoe’ and ‘The Lunch Box’. Another attraction is the rooftop area where a decent breakfast is served to all guests. Until roadworks are finished elsewhere by about 2021, the area outside will remain a traffic bottleneck, but the range of places to eat, drink, and shop close by is pleasing. What’s more, the hotel is convenient: close to the inner-city beach (Chowpatty) and major train and bus stations, just off a main road heading to the airport and northern beaches, and a quick trip by taxi to the older parts of the city.
Hotel Kemps Corner – The Location
- Address: 131 August Kranti Marg (road), Kemps Corner. In a bright-blue building, about 100m from the Kemps Corner Flyover along Pedder Road.
- Area: Tightly-packed area of apartments, shops, cafés, and bars in a more upmarket section of the inner-city. Not far from Chowpatty beach, and convenient to the northern and southern parts of the city.
- How to Get There: From the domestic or international airport terminals, get a taxi at a pre-paid counter (20 km; 1-hour drive, longer during peak times). The Mumbai Central train station and nearby central bus depot are about 20 minutes away (2.5 km).
- Handy to: Chowpatty Beach.
Hotel Kemps Corner – The Basics
- Guests: Independent and budget-minded travelers of all ages.
- Views: Rooms are in 2 buildings. Those to the front may have street views, but would be noisy. Better are those to the side of the second building, where rooms overlook a quiet lane.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected (or provided) at this sort of mid-priced inner-city hotel.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)22 2363 1995
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: hotelkempscorner.com
Hotel Kemps Corner – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Not expected (or provided).
Hotel Kemps Corner – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: Neither provided, but perhaps not unexpected at this sort of compact and low-key hotel.
- Breakfast: Decent buffet breakfast included for all guests and served on the rooftop.
- Room Service: Sandwiches, drinks (including beer), and light meals available from 11 am to 3 pm, and 7 pm to 10.30 pm.
Hotel Kemps Corner – Rooms
- Room Types: Luxury Rooms • Premier Rooms • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking is permitted anywhere on the premises.
- Best Room: Any room on the top floor of the second building will be quieter. Premier Rooms are considerably larger and feature sitting areas.
- For Families: Not set up for families, and no space in most rooms for an extra single bed. With affordable rates, booking two adjoining (but not connecting) rooms is a good option.
Hotel Kemps Corner – Local Transport
- Walking: The sidewalks are broad and good for walking and exploring the area.
- Public Transport: Nothing of any use to tourists. The metro probably won’t reach this far until about 2023.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: Plenty of black-and-yellow taxis. Insist on using the meter. Rides can also be booked using Uber and Ola apps.
Hotel Kemps Corner – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants& Bars
Fine selection along the streets, but sometimes a little hard to find.
- The Shalimar Hotel – Only 2 doors down, it offers the classy Gulmurg restaurant (street views and attentive staff), Yo! The Deli (excellent bakery and coffee shop), and District Lounge (chic and spacious bar).
- Doolally Taproom – Finest among several chic bistros/bars sprouting up in the area. Local craft beers, finger food, hearty meals, and chatty patrons. First floor, next to Starbucks on the other side of the flyover.
- Charcoal Eats – Meat lovers will rejoice in this simple eatery, part of a citywide chain. About 500m (west) down the road.
- Sweetish House Mafia – Odd name for a bright little spot for cookies, cakes, and coffee. Across the junction from Charcoal Eats.
- Plate & Pint – Unassuming entrance leads to a bakery serving world-class quiches and croissants. At the back, the stylish café provides a wide range of tasty Western food. Bar attached. About 250m across the junction from Charcoal Eats.
- Along the nearby streets are some surprisingly fine places, including Crossword, an excellent bookstore on the other side of the flyover from the hotel, and under Doolally Taproom and Starbucks.
- The popular Chowpatty Beach is about 2 km by taxi. While the sand is clean and views, impressive, the water is not suitable for swimming. Plenty of food stalls during the evenings.
Hotel Kemps Corner – The Hotel
All Mumbai Hotel Reviews
- Abode Bombay
- Gordon House
- InterContinental Marine Drive
- Juhu Residency
- Radisson Andheri MIDC
- Ramada Plaza Palm Grove
- Sahara Star
- Taj Mahal Palace
- Trident Nariman Point
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Time to Visit Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Time to Visit Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Best Time to Visit Chennai
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Time to Visit Delhi
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Time to Visit Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Time to Visit Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Time to Visit Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Time to Visit Kolkata