Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam – American-style hospitality in a centrally located historic hotel.
Incorporating two seventeenth-century houses and a revamped 1980’s building, Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam brings contemporary style and comfort to one of central Amsterdam’s liveliest streets. The decor is all soothing blues and greys, punctuated by splashes of contemporary art and glimpses of original features: heavy wooden beams and stained glass. Rooms are spacious, well-insulated from street noise, and full of thoughtful touches: Nespresso machines, LEFF Bluetooth speakers, large TVs, ultra-comfortable beds, rain showers in bathrooms. On-site dining is USA-meets-Holland, and service is polished and attentive.
Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam – Location
- Area: On a busy street in the Medieval Center. Numerous attractions, bars, and restaurants right on the doorstep, the historic Canal Belt and the main departure point for canal boat tours are both a couple of minutes’ walk away, and both Dam Square and Centraal Station are less than 9 minutes’ walk (700m). Frequent trams run to the Museum Quarter from a tram stop that’s 3 minutes (250m) away on foot.
- Address: Nieuwezijdz Voorburgwal 5.
- Nearest Transport: Bus & Tram – Nieuwezijds Kolk (150m), Metro – Centraal (400m).
- How to Get There: Take the train from Schiphol Airport to Centraal Station, then walk for 5 minutes (500m).
- Private Transfer: We use and recommend Welcome Pickups car service. Booking through a private car service will cost only a bit more than a taxi – about €50 from Schiphol Airport – but can be worth it to avoid the long taxi queue and for the convenience of paying ahead.
- Handy to: Centraal Station, historic canal ring, Dam Square, Royal Palace.
Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam – The Basics
- Ages: The hotel has an adult vibe to it, and guests tend to be a mix of sightseers on a city break and business travelers. Children are welcome though.
- View: The 274 rooms overlook either the busy Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal street or the narrow, medieval streets behind the hotel. The higher-up rooms and suites look out over the rooftops of the historic center.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: No private pools/jacuzzis.
- Laundry: In-room laundry service.
- Parking: There is secure parking for €50 per day.
- Extras: There is complimentary wine and snacks in the lobby for guests between 5pm and 6pm. All rooms come with Gaiam yoga mats and honor bars stocked with wine, craft beer, and snacks. Complimentary Van Moof bicycles available for guest use on a first-come, first-served basis.
- When to Book: Reserve 3 months in advance for the mid-March to mid-May tulip season, the July and August high season, and the Christmas-New Year period.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +31-(0)20-620-0500
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: kimptondewitthotel.com
Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam – Amenities
- Pool: No pool.
- Spa: No spa, but massages can be arranged in-room.
- Fitness Center: Well-equipped gym onsite.
- For Disabled Guests: 3 adapted rooms for guests with disabilities, plus elevators with Braille.
- For Families: There are no special child-friendly facilities besides high chairs in the restaurant. Babysitting services can be arranged on request.
Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Stylish Celia specializes in American comfort food prepared with local ingredients, with meats seared on a custom live-fire grill. Dinner reservations recommended. $$-$$$.
- Lounge/Bar: Located in a 1645 private residence, the Super Lyan bar comes with original features such as beamed ceiling and leather wallpaper, and stocks over 50 Dutch gins and jenevers. It’s known for its classic cocktails, with a few originals thrown in. Open daily until 1am.
- Breakfast: Not complimentary. A substantial buffet breakfast (available between 6.30am and 10.30am) with some unusual extras such as chicken with rice and kimchi, and roasted asparagus, costs €21 per person.
- Room Service: 24-hour room service available from Celia.
Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam – Rooms
- Room Types: One Bed Standard • Queen Bed • Twin Deluxe • Two Double Bed Deluxe • King Standard • King Deluxe • King Executive • King Junior Suite • King Studio with Terrace • Penthouse De Witt • Little House • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam is 100% smoke-free.
- Best Room: Penthouse De Witt comes with a fireplace, 8-seater private dining room, and a free-standing bath, in addition to the rain shower and excellent city views from the private 7th-floor terrace.
- For Families: The 2-bedroom Little House with a spacious living area is a good option for families.
Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam – Local Transport
- Walking: The historic canal ring and Dam Square are just a few minutes on foot; walkable to attractions in the Medieval Center and Red Light District; Museum Quarter is around 18 minutes (3 km) by tram.
- Tram: From the nearby Nieuwezijds Kolk stop, trams run north to Centraal Station, and south towards Leidseplein and the Museum Quarter.
- Taxis, Uber: Taxis and Uber charge around €35 from the airport to the hotel. Within the city, Uber rides cost around half of taxi fares. It’s often quicker to walk, cycle, or jump on a tram.
Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam – What’s Nearby?
Recommended Nearby Tours
- Amsterdam City Tours – Coach tours depart for the Keukenhof flower gardens and Zaanse Schans windmills from the I Amsterdam tourist office. Start location: 200m.
- Lovers Canal Cruises – Hour-long, small boat canal cruises depart from the dock near the Anne Frank House. Start location: 250m.
- Stromma – Open boat canal tours, hop-on, hop-off boats, and 100 Highlights canal cruise. Start location: 400m.
- That Dam Guide – Intimate, small-group, 2-hour tours that provide an excellent all-round view of the sex industry. Guides explain Amsterdam’s laws and working conditions, and point out the good and bad sex shops, peep shops, live theaters, and strip clubs. Start location: 600m.
- Prostitution Information Centre – Fascinating information center where you get the answers to everything you’ve ever wanted to know about Amsterdam’s prostitution industry. Hour-long walking tours (€15 per person) depart from here at 5pm on Saturdays. Start location: 600m.
- Offbeat Amsterdam: Amsterdam Red Light District Tours – Several options of Red Light District walking tour – with a group, with a private guide, and with exclusive private guides who’ve worked in the sex industry for decades. Start location: 700m.
- Rederij Kooij – Private canal tours in a vintage wooden boat. Start location: 1 km.
- Blue Boat Company – Open-boat cruises, themed kids’ cruises, evening cruises, and Hard Rock burger cruises. Start location: 2.5 km.
Best Nearby Restaurants
- De Silveren Spiegel – Beautifully presented contemporary takes on Dutch dishes in an atmospheric house dating back to 1614. 5 to 8-course tasting menus only on Fridays and Saturdays. Romance your loved one here. (250m).
- Ashoka Restaurant – Bright and breezy Indian and Nepalese restaurant with numerous vegetarian options. (250m).
- La Zoccola del Pacioccone – Tiny pizzeria, authentic Italian pizzas and beer, and good vibes. (400m).
- Kam Yin – Large, inexpensive portions of Chinese and Surinamese standards. Popular with students. (500m).
- Omelegg – Central branch of the popular all-day breakfast/brunch café. 2 dozen different omelettes and shakshuka are specialties here. (500m).
- De Belhamel – Romantic French restaurant serving the likes of sea bass risotto and sirloin with fondant potatoes. Great canal-side location. (500m).
- Dabka – Good Lebanese mezze spreads and kebabs; eat inside, or on the canal-side terrace. (600m).
- Breda – One for special occasions. Multi-course, seasonal lunch and dinner menus by some of the city’s most creative chefs, plus 15 wines by the glass. Reservations essential. (750m).
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
- In de Wildeman – Former distillery turned beer café with an excellent selection of Dutch and Belgian beers, 18 brews on tap, and a quiet ambience: good for conversation. (250m).
- In ‘t Aepjen – Atmospheric local watering hole inside one of very few remaining wooden buildings in Amsterdam, with vintage jazz on the stereo. (500m).
- In de Olofspoort – A jenever tasting house, accessed through the former city gate, with an incredible range of the venerable Dutch spirit. (500m).
- De Drie Fleschjes – Characterful 17th-century tasting house that specializes in liqueurs and jenevers. The accompanying snack of choice here is meatballs. (500m).
- Brouwerij de Prael – Multi-level tasting room of the eponymous craft beer brewery, with numerous IPAs, stouts, barley wines, and other brews on tap. (600m).
- ‘t Arendsnest – Dutch beer only: almost 200 bottled brews, and 30 on tap. Choose between the canal-side terrace, or the gorgeous brown café interior, complete with copper jenever boilers. (600m).
- Café Belgique – Chilled-out Belgian beer bar, with 8 brews on tap at the carved wooden bar, and many more bottled options. (600m).
Nearby Shopping and Cool Shops
- Chills and Thrills – Smart shop selling magic truffles, herbal trips, accessories, and more. (200m).
- Kokopelli – Smart shop specializing in magic truffles, with an attractive juice bar and lounge. (500m).
- Rush Hour Records – Vinyl and CD shop that’s particularly strong on house and techno (though you’ll find funk, electronica, jazz, and disco as well). (500m).
- Mark Raven Amsterdam Art – Mark Raven’s cityscapes, posters, and t-shirt art. (500m).
- Old Amsterdam Cheese Store – Central branch of the famous cheese store. Get your Gouda goodies here. (500m).
- Heinen Delfts Blauw – Central branch of the famous ceramics store where you can buy anything from small gifts to collectors’ pieces. (500m).
- RoB Amsterdam – Bondage, leather, rubber, and other dress-up gear. (500m).
- Magna Plaza – Upmarket shopping mall, best for fashion, jewelry, and souvenirs. (600m).
- Puccini Bomboni – Some of Amsterdam’s best handmade chocolates. 1 of 3 branches. (600m).
- Amsterdam Duck Store – Nothing but rubber ducks here, from classic yellow to Batman, S&M, and Game of Thrones ducks. (700m).
- Condomerie Het Gulden Vlies – Condom boutique selling condoms in all colors, shapes, and sizes. (700m).
Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam – The Hotel
- All Amsterdam Hotel Reviews
- Complete Amsterdam Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Family Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Boutique Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Budget Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Airport Hotels in Amsterdam
- Where to Stay in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Hotel Map
- Best Time to Visit Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Tours & Things to Do
- Best Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Bars, Breweries, & Tasting Rooms
- Best Amsterdam Shops & Markets
- Amsterdam with Kids