NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen – Revamped, luxurious, and historic hotel in the Medieval Center.
Doelen is Amsterdam’s oldest hotel, located inside a grand brick building in one of the most historic corners of the city, with part of the original city wall visible inside the hotel. There are famous art connections as well: Rembrandt’s “The Night Watch” was originally displayed in what is now the Rembrandt Suite. The rooms are thoroughly modern, with the signature white, gold, and crimson color scheme, and plenty of natural light and mod cons such as espresso makers. Service is formal and efficient, and the location is about as central as you can get.
NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen – Location
- Area: In a relatively tranquil part of the Medieval Center, overlooking the city’s oldest canal. Lively Rembrandtplein, Dam Square, the Red Light District, and the historic Canal Belt are all within a few minutes’ walk from the hotel, and the Museum Quarter is 20 minute away on foot (1.5 km). From the nearest tram stop (400m), trams run to Centraal Station, De Pijp, and eastern Amsterdam.
- Address: Nieuwe Doelenstraat 26.
- Nearest Transport: Bus, Tram, and Metro – Rokin.
- How to Get There: Take the train from Schiphol Airport to Centraal Station, then the tram (4, 9, 16, 24, 25) to Muntplein stop, across from the hotel.
- Private Transfer: We use and recommend Welcome Pickups car service. Booking through a private car service will cost only a bit more than a taxi – about €50 from Schiphol Airport – but can be worth it to avoid the long taxi queue and for the convenience of paying ahead.
- Handy to: Allard Pierson Museum, the Royal Palace, Amsterdam Museum.
NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen – The Basics
- Ages: Guests are a mix of holiday makers and business travelers. Children welcome.
- View: Of the 81 rooms, the Superior and Premium rooms come either with limited city views, or else look over the Kloveniersburgwal canal. All the suites boast canal views.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: No private pools/jacuzzis.
- Laundry: In-room laundry service.
- Parking: Nearby valet parking costs €55 per day.
- Extras: Generous noon checkout. 3pm checkout on Lazy Sundays.
- When to Book: Reserve 3 months in advance for the mid-March to mid-May tulip season, the July and August high season, and the Christmas-New Year period.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +31-(0)20-554-0600
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: nh-collection.com
NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen – Amenities
- Pool: No pool.
- Spa: No spa, but massages can be arranged in-room.
- Fitness Center: No fitness center.
- For Disabled Guests: Several rooms adapted for guests with disabilities, plus a ramp and elevator.
- For Families: The restaurant has a children’s menu, and babysitting services are available on request.
NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: No restaurant.
- Lounge/Bar: No bar.
- Breakfast: Not complimentary. Extensive breakfast buffet (7am-10.30am Monday to Saturday, 8am-noon Sunday) costs €24 per person; a la carte items such as American pancakes, filled bagels, and fresh vegetable juices available at extra cost.
- Room Service: Limited room service.
NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen – Rooms
- Room Types: Superior • Superior with Canal View • Premium • Premium with Canal View • Junior Suite with Canal View • Rembrandt Suite with Canal View • Suite with Canal View • Empress Suite with Canal View • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen is 100% smoke-free.
- Best Room: The Rembrandt Suite has a reproduction of “The Night Watch” masterpiece where the original used to hang in the 17th century. The Empress Suite is the most spacious and has good canal views, but canal view suites on higher floors offer greater privacy.
NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen – Local Transport
- Walking: Easy walking distance to Anne Frank House, Museum Quarter, attractions in the Medieval Center and the Red Light District, Nine Streets shopping neighborhood. Numerous restaurants, bars, and shops within a few minutes’ walk.
- Tram: Direct tram connections from the Muntplein stop to Centraal Station, De Pijp district, Rembrandtplein, and Waterlooplein. Nearest tram stop for the Museum Quarter is Koningsplein, a 6-minute walk (500m) away.
- Taxis, Uber: Taxis and Uber charge around €35 from the airport to the hotel. Within the city, Uber rides cost around half of taxi fares. It’s often quicker to walk, cycle, or jump on a tram.
NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants
- Frenzi – Imaginative Mediterranean tapas, live jazz on Saturday afternoons, and over 100 types of grappa. (250m).
- Upstairs Pannenkoekenhuis – Traditional Dutch pancakes in tiny 16th-century house, sampled by Anthony Bourdain in The Layover. Reserve ahead, as there are only 4 tables. (300m).
- Bhatti Pasal – Large portions of Nepalese dishes in very central location. Excellent momos. (400m).
- The Seafood Bar – Buzzy spot for champagne, oysters, and seafood platters. Walk-ins welcome. (500m).
- Roses by Sal – Latin American street food – tacos, quesadillas, empanadas – as well as ceviche, and excellent pisco cocktails. (500m).
- Guts – Experimental fine dining with an ever-changing menu, and wallet-friendly multi-course lunch. Reservations recommended. (500m).
- Van Kerkwijk – Intimate, subtly-lit little place with a daily changing menu of French classics, Moroccan tajines, curries, and other internationally-inspired dishes. (600m).
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
- Door 74 – Dark-timbered, speakeasy-style bar behind an unmarked door (send a text message to gain entry), responsible for some of Amsterdam’s best cocktails. (400m).
- Bierfabriek Amsterdam – Hip, brasserie-style microbrewery with private tap tables, 4 own brews on tap, and an accompaniment of rustic dishes. (400m).
- De Bekeerde Suster – 16th-century cloister turned brewery with 4 own brews flowing from copper tanks, seasonal and guest beers, and numerous bottled brews. (500m).
- Rosalia’s Menagerie – Intimate little cocktail bar that’s part of the Misc EatDrinkSleep hotel. Ideal place to sample your first jenever, or sip a cocktail with your sweetie. (500m).
- Café de Dokter – Amsterdam’s smallest pub, run by the descendants of the doctor who founded it in 1798. Expect candlelight, chandeliers, and atmospheric bric-a-brac, plus good whiskies and beer. (500m).
- Bubbles & Wines – This sleek wine bar attracts a lively, stylish clientele with its 50+ wines and champagnes by the glass, and superb bar snacks. (600m).
Nearby Shopping and Cool Shops
- Droog – Cool homeware and design, unique gifts, plus a gallery space and café attached. (150m).
- Puccini Bomboni – Some of Amsterdam’s best handmade chocolates. 1 of 3 branches. (200m).
- BIEC – Ceramics, funky gadgets, bags, shawls, shoes, sketch books, and other cool gifts. (200m).
- Hans Appenzeller – Local jewelry designer; original designs in gold and stone. (300m).
- 3D Hologrammen – Holographic art, jewelry, and homeware. (400m).
- Anna & Nina – Eclectic earrings, accessories, clothing, and interior design that reflects the nomad-like travels of the store’s owners. (400m).
- PGC Hajenius – Art deco tobacco emporium with private humidors and sumptuous smoking lounge. (400m).
- American Book Center – Largest English-language bookshop in Amsterdam. (600m).
- Athenaeum – One of Amsterdam’s largest independent bookshops, with numerous travel guidebooks, and books on fashion and design. (600m).
- Amsterdam Duck Store – Nothing but rubber ducks here, from classic yellow to Batman, S&M, and Game of Thrones ducks. (1.5 km).
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Waterlooplein Flea Market – Vast flea market (Monday to Saturday) selling designer knockoffs, antiques, jewelry, and more. Street food stalls also. (600m).
NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen – The Hotel
- All Amsterdam Hotel Reviews
- Complete Amsterdam Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Family Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Boutique Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Budget Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Airport Hotels in Amsterdam
- Where to Stay in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Hotel Map
- Best Time to Visit Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Tours & Things to Do
- Best Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Bars, Breweries, & Tasting Rooms
- Best Amsterdam Shops & Markets
- Amsterdam with Kids