Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam – Legendary luxury hotel in the heart of the Medieval Center.
One of Amsterdam’s grand dames, Sofitel Legend has been hosting distinguished guests for centuries, including royalty after whom the Legendary Imperial suites take their names. Comprising a 17th-century Admiralty building, a 1930’s former City Hall, and historic canal houses, Sofitel Legend is one of Amsterdam’s best luxury hotels, with attentive and gracious service, and superb on-site dining. The decor is a blend of original features and a soothing palette of lilacs and creams in the rooms and suites. Spacious, luxurious bathrooms have walk-in rain showers and Hermes products, with free-standing tubs and built-in TVs in the suites.
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam – Location
- Address: Oudezijds Voorburgwal 197, 1012 EX Amsterdam.
- Nearest Tram: Dam.
- Area: Extremely central. Overlooking a canal in a tranquil part of the Medieval Center, on the edge of the Red Light District. Dam Square is just a few minutes’ walk, the historic canals and the hip Nine Streets shopping neighborhood are a 10-minute stroll, and the Museum Quarter is easily reached by tram or bicycle (17 minutes); the nearest tram stop is 5 minutes away.
- How to Get There: Take the train from Schiphol Airport to Centraal Station, then the tram (4, 9, 16, 24, 25) to Dam stop, 5 minutes’ walk from the hotel.
- Handy to: The Royal Palace, Dam Square, Amsterdam Museum.
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam – The Basics
- Ages: The majority of guests tend to be couples on a romantic break and honeymooners, but families with children are welcome. The Flying Dutchman is 18+.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Jacuzzis in some of suites.
- Laundry: In-room laundry service.
- View: Some of the Luxury and Prestige rooms come with canal views, as do the Prestige suites and Canal House suites. The rest overlook the attractive courtyard or come with city views.
- Parking: On-site valet parking costs €50 per day.
- Extras: Suites come with butler service; bicycles for guest use; turn-down service; the gorgeous Art Deco chamber can be booked for weddings and functions.
- When to Book: Reserve 3 months in advance for the mid-March to mid-May tulip season, the July and August high season, and the Christmas-New Year period.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: 020-555-3111
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: sofitel-legend-thegrand.com
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam – Amenities
- Pool: Indoor pool with jacuzzi, sauna, and Turkish steam bath.
- Spa: Body toning and anti-aging facial treatments featuring products by Marisa Berenson available at the So Spa.
- Fitness Center: Small fitness center with Technogym equipment and Kinesis Training System.
- For Disabled Guests: One Superior room has been adapted for guests with disabilities.
- For Families: Cots and beds for infants provided free of charge, and babysitting services available on request.
- Activities: Horse-drawn carriage tours of the city; private canal cruises in the hotel’s own classic saloon boat; guided guest-only tours of the hotel at 11 am daily.
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: Michelin-starred Bridges (6.30-11.30pm) overlooks Amsterdam’s oldest canal, and specializes in imaginative, globally-inspired fish and seafood dishes. Multi-course chef’s menu available in the evenings. Chef’s Table seating available for up to 6 people. Elegant decor; reservations essential. • $$-$$$$ • The informal Bridges BarBistro (noon-11pm) serves crowd-pleasers from around the world, from pulled pork mini-burgers and burrata ravioli to Thai tom kha kai soup. • $$ • Sumptuous afternoon tea is offered at Library ‘Or’, or if the weather allows then in the garden courtyard between 3 and 5pm. • $$.
- Lounge/Bar: The Flying Dutchman is a traditional brown café, with wood-paneled walls and an extensive range of whiskeys and Dutch spirits, plus a selection of Dutch beers. Open daily until 1am.
- Breakfast: Not complimentary. One of the best breakfast buffet spreads in Amsterdam, with salads and hot dishes cooked to order, from Dutch pancakes to congee. Available from 7.30-11am; €37 per person.
- Room Service: Available around the clock.
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam – Rooms
- Room Types: Classic • Superior • Luxury • Junior Suite • Bridal Suite • Prestige Suite • Canal House Suite • Opera Suite • Legendary Imperial Suite • Royal Suite
- Smoking Rooms: Sofitel Legend the Grand Amsterdam is 100% smoke-free.
- Best Room: With monumental wooden beams, a private library, and a jacuzzi bath, the atmospheric Royal Suite occupies the third floor of a former canal house.
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam – What’s Nearby?
Recommended Nearby Tours
- Offbeat Amsterdam: Amsterdam Red Light District Tours – Several options of Red Light District walking tour – with a group, with a private guide, and with exclusive private guides who’ve worked in the sex industry for decades. Start location: 4-minute walk.
- Rederij Kooij – Private canal tours in a vintage wooden boat. Start location: 4-minute walk.
- Prostitution Information Centre – Fascinating information center where you get the answers to everything you’ve ever wanted to know about Amsterdam’s prostitution industry. Hour-long walking tours (€15 per person) depart from here at 5pm on Saturdays. Start location: 7-minute walk.
- That Dam Guide – Intimate, small-group, 2-hour tours that provide an excellent all-round view of the sex industry. Guides explain Amsterdam’s laws and working conditions, and point out the good and bad sex shops, peep shops, live theaters, and strip clubs. Start location: 9-minute walk.
- Stromma – Open boat canal tours, hop-on, hop-off boats, and 100 Highlights canal cruise. Start location: 10-minute walk.
- Lovers Canal Cruises – Hour-long, small boat canal cruises depart from the dock near the Anne Frank House. Start location: 14-minute walk.
- Blue Boat Company – Open-boat cruises, themed kids’ cruises, evening cruises, and Hard Rock burger cruises. Start location: 17-minutes.
Best Nearby Restaurants
- Mappa – Solid, no-nonsense Italian food: homemade pizza and ravioli, plus an excellent wine list of tipples from small producers. 2-minute walk.
- TER Steakhouse – Prime cuts of meat seared to your specifications. Dinner bookings advisable. 2-minute walk.
- Van Kerkwijk – Intimate, subtly-lit little place with a daily changing menu of French classics, Moroccan tajines, curries, and other internationally-inspired dishes. 3-minute walk.
- Upstairs Pannenkoekenhuis – Traditional Dutch pancakes in tiny 16th century house, sampled by Anthony Bourdain in The Layover. Reserve ahead, as there are only 4 tables. 3-minute walk.
- Adam & Siam – Imaginative Dutch dishes with a Thai twist, friendly and efficient service. 3-minute walk.
- FuLu Mandarijn – Good mix of Cantonese and Sichuan dishes in smart surroundings. Offerings include dim sum, sea bass in hot chili broth, Kung Pao chicken, and Peking duck with pancakes. 4-minute walk.
- Bord’Eau – Elegant, luxurious surroundings, imaginative Michelin-starred cuisine, an excellent wine list and superb cheese selection. One for special occasions; reserve well ahead. 6-minute walk.
- Anna – White tablecloths, imaginative modern Dutch fare, terrific list of global and organic wines, and a fine location overlooking the Oude Kerk. 6-minute walk.
Best Nearby Bars
- Wynand Fockink – Squeeze into this intimate 17th century tasting house to sample an extensive range of jenevers and liqueurs. 2-minute walk.
- Bierfabriek Amsterdam – Hip, brasserie-style microbrewery with private tap tables, 4 own brews on tap, and an accompaniment of rustic dishes. 3-minute walk.
- The Tara – Maze-like Irish pub that’s a big expat favorite. Good for catching football on the big screen. 3-minute walk.
- Rosalia’s Menagerie – Intimate little cocktail bar that’s part of the Misc EatDrinkSleep hotel. Ideal place to sample your first jenever, or sip a cocktail with your sweetie. 4-minute walk.
- Bubbles & Wines – This sleek wine bar attracts a lively, stylish clientele with its 50+ wines and champagnes by the glass, and superb bar snacks. 4-minute walk.
- De Bekeerde Suster – 16th century cloister turned brewery with 4 own brews flowing from copper tanks, seasonal and guest beers, and numerous bottled brews. 5-minute walk.
- Café de Dokter – Amsterdam’s smallest pub, run by the descendants of the doctor who founded it in 1798. Expect candlelight, chandeliers, and atmospheric bric-a-brac, plus good whiskies and beer. 6-minute walk.
Nearby Shopping and Cool Shops
- Anna & Nina – Eclectic earrings, accessories, clothing, and interior design that reflects the nomad-like travels of the store’s owners. 3-minute walk.
- Hans Appenzeller – Local jewelry designer; original designs in gold and stone. 3-minute walk.
- 3D Hologrammen – Holographic art, jewelry, and homeware. 3-minute walk.
- Amsterdam Duck Store – Nothing but rubber ducks here, from classic yellow to Batman, S&M, and Game of Thrones ducks. 5-minute walk.
- BIEC – Ceramics, funky gadgets, bags, shawls, shoes, sketch books, and other cool gifts. 6-minute walk.
- Puccini Bomboni – Some of Amsterdam’s best handmade chocolates. 1 of 3 branches. 7-minute walk.
Nearby Market or Grocery
Sofitel Legend The Grand Amsterdam – The Hotel
All Amsterdam Hotel Reviews
- Crane Hotel Faralda
- Sir Adam Hotel
Southern Canal Ring
- American Hotel Amsterdam
- Banks Mansion
- Hotel Seven One Seven
- Mokum Suites
- Seven Bridges Hotel
- Waldorf Astoria
- Hotel Okura Amsterdam
- Sir Albert
- Breitner House
- InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
- Lloyd Hotel
- Zoku Amsterdam
- AMS Suites (Temporarily Closed)
- Morgan & Mees
- Mr. Jordaan
Medieval Center & Red Light District
- art’otel Amsterdam
- Eric Vökel Boutique Apartments – Amsterdam Suites
- De L’Europe Amsterdam
- Hotel Estheréa
- Hotel TwentySeven
- Hotel V Nesplein
- INK Hotel Amsterdam – MGallery
- Kimpton De Witt Amsterdam
- Luxury Suites Amsterdam
- Misc Eatdrinksleep
- NH Collection Amsterdam Doelen
- NH Collection Amsterdam Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky
- W Amsterdam
Vondelpark & Museum Quarter Hotels
- The College Hotel
- Conservatorium Hotel
- Hotel De Hallen
- Hotel JL No76
- Pillows Luxury Boutique Hotel Anna Van Den Vondel Amsterdam
- Hotel The Neighbour’s Magnolia
Western Canal Ring Hotels
- Best Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Family Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Boutique Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Budget Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Airport Hotels in Amsterdam
- Where to Stay in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Hotel Map
- Best Time to Visit Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Tours & Things to Do
- Best Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Bars, Breweries, & Tasting Rooms
- Best Amsterdam Shops & Markets
- Amsterdam with Kids
- Complete Amsterdam Travel Guide