Zoku Amsterdam – A unique ‘hometel’ in lively Amsterdam-Oost.
In east Amsterdam, a short walk from attractions in Nieuwmarkt and the Southern Canal Ring, Zoku consists mostly of space-sufficient little apartments ideal for self-caterers and business travelers, with sleeping lofts accessed by retractable staircases. The terrific top-floor, open-plan common area (Living Room) adds a homey element to Zoku: there’s a games room, roof terrace with hammocks, lots of nooks for socializing or working, and a communal vibe to the cheery dining area. The young staff are friendly, knowledgeable, and informal, and Zoku is well-placed in terms of public transport access.
Zoku Amsterdam – Location
- Area: Centrally located on a busy main street, within easy walking distance from Nieuwmarkt and its cafes and bars, Waterlooplein, and Hermitage Amsterdam. Walklable to the attractions of the Southern Canal Ring and the nightlife around Rembrandtplein.
- Address: Weesperstraat 105.
- Nearest Transport: Bus, Metro, & Tram – Weesperplein (250m).
- How to Get There: Take the train from Schiphol Airport to Centraal Station, then metro #51, #53, or #54 to Weesperplein. Zoku Amsterdam is a 3-minute walk (200m) away.
- Private Transfer: We use and recommend Welcome Pickups car service. Booking through a private car service will cost only a bit more than a taxi – about €50 from Schiphol Airport – but can be worth it to avoid the long taxi queue and for the convenience of paying ahead.
- Handy to: Hermitage Amsterdam, Jewish Historical Museum, Dutch Resistance Museum.
Zoku Amsterdam – The Basics
- Ages: The hotel provides a comfortable, social environment for working professionals in Amsterdam, either short-term or for a longer stay. There is no age limit, and older kids can stay in a Loft XXL.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: No private pools/jacuzzis.
- Laundry: In-room laundry service.
- Extras: The Living Room has ping pong tables for guests, and there are hammocks on the rooftop terrace. Common spaces host several weekly music events by local jazz musicians, and also by guests with musical talents.
- When to Book: Reserve 3 months in advance for the mid-March to mid-May tulip season, the July and August high season, and the Christmas-New Year period.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +31-(0)20-811-2811
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: livezoku.com
Zoku Amsterdam – Amenities
- Pool: No pool.
- Spa: No spa, but there’s a massage salon.
- Fitness Center: No fitness center.
- For Disabled Guests: Elevator access; 1 loft adapted for disabled guests.
- For Families: No family-friendly amenities.
- Activities: Common spaces host several weekly music events by local jazz musicians, and also by guests with musical talents. Numerous other activities on offer include yoga classes, and cheese and wine tastings.
Zoku Amsterdam – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: The excellent in-house kitchen serves an extensive buffet of salads and other healthy dishes for lunch, and a changing menu with meat, fish, and vegetarian options for dinner on communal tables in the Living Room.
- Lounge/Bar: There’s craft beer on tap in the Living Room, and there are several bars within a few minutes’ walk from the hotel.
- Breakfast: Not complimentary. An extensive breakfast buffet is served in the Living Room from 7am to 10am; €17.50 per person.
- Room Service: No traditional room service; instead, a 24-hour ‘Everything Store’.
Zoku Amsterdam – Rooms
- Room Types: Zoku Bootstrap • Zoku Room • Loft • Loft XL • Loft XXL • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: Zoku Amsterdam is 100% smoke-free.
- Best Room: Loft XLs are roomier than the regular Lofts, and come with fully-equipped kitchenettes, gym rings, loft beds, 4-seat tables, and comfortable work areas. Loft XXL is basically a Loft XL with an extra bedroom.
- For Families: No family rooms available, though a Loft XXL can accommodate older kids.
Zoku Amsterdam – Local Transport
- Walking: Hermitage Amsterdam is 6 minutes’ walk (500m) away, as is the Portuguese Synagogue, while the Rembrandt House and Jewish Historical Museum are a 10-minute stroll (800m). Walkable to the Dutch Resistance Museum, the Royal Zoo, Museum of Bags and Purses, Foam photography museum, and other attractions.
- Tram/Metro: From the nearby Weesperplein stop, metro #51/#53/#54 is 3 stops away from Centraal Station. From the eponymous tram stop, trams #7 and #19 run west through De Pijp, and along the Southern Canal Ring to lively Leidseplein and the southern half of the Jordaan.
- Taxis, Uber: Taxis and Uber charge around €35 from the airport to the hotel. Within the city, Uber rides cost around half of taxi fares. It’s often quicker to walk, cycle, or jump on a tram.
Zoku Amsterdam – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants and Cafes
- Water en Brood – All-day, American-style brunch, including pancake stacks, plus homemade burgers, smoothies, and Dirty Bloody Marys. (75m).
- De Magere Brug – Bar-café facing the famous Magere Brug bridge. Good for a coffee, bottled Belgian brew, grilled fish, and pasta dishes; popular with theater-goers. (250m).
- Bagels & Beans – Reliable all-day bagel and coffee chain, with an emphasis on organic ingredients. (400m).
- Bistro Baret – Bistro popular with theater-goers, showcasing a short, eclectic menu that includes steak and mussels in red curry. Reservations recommended. (400m).
- De Plantage – 19th-century greenhouse turned hip brasserie; creative salads and stews, wonderful garden terrace. (600m).
- Mama Makan – Upscale, largely authentic Indonesian cuisine inside the Hyatt Regency. (700m).
- Marits Eeetkamer – Multi-course vegan tasting menus, locally, seasonally, and organically sourced. Stylish decor, organic wines, local beer. Reservations recommended. (900m).
- Beter & Leuk – Small, friendly vegetarian café, organic ingredients, vegan options. (1 km).
Best Nearby Bars and Breweries
- Bar Lempicka – American bistro specialising in French-American dishes such as steak frites. Large outdoor terrace great for people-watching and afternoon beers. (600m).
- Amstelhaven – Great location right on the river, good spot for a coffee or beer (but skip the food). Leisurely service. (700m).
- De Ysbreeker – Terrific waterfront terrace, organic Gulpener beers on tap and by the bottle, quality bar snacks, and a crowd-pleasing menu of steaks, burgers, oysters, croquettes, and sandwiches. (900m).
Nearby Market or Grocery
- Waterlooplein Flea Market – Vast flea market (Monday to Saturday) selling designer knockoffs, antiques, jewelry, and more. Street food stalls also. (700m).
Zoku Amsterdam – The Hotel
- All Amsterdam Hotel Reviews
- Complete Amsterdam Travel Guide
- Best Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Family Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Boutique Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Budget Hotels in Amsterdam
- Best Airport Hotels in Amsterdam
- Where to Stay in Amsterdam
- Amsterdam Hotel Map
- Best Time to Visit Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Tours & Things to Do
- Best Restaurants in Amsterdam
- Best Amsterdam Bars, Breweries, & Tasting Rooms
- Best Amsterdam Shops & Markets
- Amsterdam with Kids