Indiana Kenanga Boutique Hotel & Spa – Sumptuous villas in an idyllic street-side and beachfront location.
Dotted along a narrow property between the white sandy beach and the main street of Jungutbatu village, these villas offer complete privacy behind stark grey walls. The décor inside is far more appealing: modern and a little funky, with colorful cushions and brightly-painted cupboards. All villas feature luxuriant tropical gardens, best enjoyed from the extended verandas, and the larger villas come with 2 bedrooms and private pools. Comfy lounges line the beachside pool and sand which is shady, clean, and devoid of boats, and offer excellent views, especially at sunset.
Indiana Kenanga Boutique Hotel & Spa – The Location
- Address: Jungutbatu village, the main settlement on the island of Nusa Lembongan, about 40 minutes by speedboat from Bali (or longer from the Gili Islands).
- Area: About halfway along Jungutbatu, with enough facilities in either direction via the beach or main street. The entrance is about 200m down an access lane from the main street.
- How to Get There: The only way to reach Nusa Lembongan island is by speedboat from Sanur or Padangbai in Bali, often with connections to the Gili Islands. Compare schedules and book online. Most boats land in the southern section of Jungutbatu, about 1.5 km from the resort. And note: getting on/off these speedboats often involves wading through the water (many times at least knee-deep).
- Handy to: Jungutbatu village. Offices/terminals for speedboats to Bali and the Gili Islands.
Indiana Kenanga Boutique Hotel & Spa – The Basics
- Guests: Overall ‘beach club’ vibe popular with younger couples and groups. Also, ideal for honeymooners.
- Beach: The villa complex faces the public beach, which is busy but devoid of the fishing boats lined up elsewhere. The sand is clean and there are plenty of umbrellas offering shade.
- Views: All villas are secluded behind lofty walls, so none offer sea views. All face pockets of private gardens.
- Kitchen: Most villas feature kitchenettes.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: The 2 Bedroom Villas have private pools.
- Wi-Fi: Usually included free for guests but double-check when booking. Otherwise, free around the restaurant, bar, and lobby.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (0)366 559 6371
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: indiana-kenanga-villas.com
Indiana Kenanga Boutique Hotel & Spa – Amenities
- Pool: Two lovely pools. The one at the front doesn’t face the beach (and might get crowded). Another is further back within the villa grounds.
- Spa: The spa has highly-trained staff and provides a tempting selection of Balinese and Chinese massages.
- Fitness Center: Not provided.
- Other Facilities: Boutique sells clothes, jewelry, and handicrafts.
Indiana Kenanga Boutique Hotel & Spa – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Two options overseen by a French chef who has earned 3 Michelin stars. The café at the front offers fine dining and romantic tables on the sand. • The second restaurant, The Creperie, is by the second pool.
- Breakfast: All rates include breakfast.
- Room Service: Available from about 7 am to 10 pm.
Indiana Kenanga Boutique Hotel & Spa – Rooms
- Room Types: Villas with 1 or 2 bedrooms.
- Smoking Rooms: Smoking is not allowed in the villas but permitted elsewhere on the grounds.
- Best Room: Villas are fairly similar, with 1 or 2 bedrooms. Those located midway along the property, furthest from the pools/cafés and main street, would be quietest.
- For Families: 2 of the villas feature 2 bedrooms and private pools, but the resort isn’t that interested in families.
Indiana Kenanga Boutique Hotel & Spa – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Expect to do plenty of walking. Bicycles are a great option in and around Jungutbatu village, but nowhere else because of the hills and potholes. Plenty of places in the village to rent bikes.
- Other Transport: No cars are allowed on the island. However, motorbikes are easy to rent and a terrific way to explore the island – and with no police, licenses are not required. New ‘taxis’ (pickup trucks) ply the narrow roads, but most are commandeered by speedboat companies and hotels, so arrange a lift through the hotel, if required. Cumbersome drive-yourself buggies can be rented at Mushroom Bay, and boats can be chartered anywhere for a more scenic way to reach remote parts of the island.
Indiana Kenanga Boutique Hotel & Spa – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
These 2 places are along the main street:
- Lemongrass Bar & Restaurant – Cozy and welcoming, with a shady and vibrant setting. Live music most nights.
- Mickey Sports Bar & Grill – Expat hangout with a pleasant bar, darts, and snooker tables. Just past the Lemongrass.
The ones facing the beach and accessible along the sand are better options.
- Linda Bar & Restaurant – Newly renovated, with enticing chairs and beanbags on the sand. Virtually alongside the resort.
- Agung Restaurant – Classic Lembongan favorite. Tables on the sand, inexpensive food, happy hours, and legendary sunsets. 50m south.
- Kayu Manis – Sophisticated dining at the Lembongan Beach Club. Indonesian and Western meals more tempting than elsewhere. 50m past Agung’s.
Nearby Shops & Market
- Enough minimarts and low-key shops along the main street in Jungutbatu.
- Mushroom Bay is better than Jungutbatu for swimming and snorkeling, but access is problematic. The Crusoe-esque beach at Selambung (also called Coconut Beach and Song Lambung) is more preferable. It’s a 2 km walk south via the beach and stone path that passes Batu Karang villas. More serious exploration of the underwater delights can be arranged through scuba-diving agencies in Jungutbatu.