InterContinental Marine Drive Mumbai – Stylish and convenient, it’s smaller and more personable than expected.
Though not as massive or opulent as rivals further south, the InterContinental is better for it. On a corner facing the esplanade in the upmarket area along Marine Drive, the hotel exudes a charm and elegance absent among more fancied and much larger competitors. All rooms and suites are spacious and offer Indian-style decorations rarely seen elsewhere. The Seafront Corner Suites feature double the views and space, and exquisite marble bathrooms that must be seen to be believed. The hotel design also ensures that most rooms and suites offer superb sea views through soundproofed windows. No spa or gym, but the rooftop pool is fabulous. Other attractions are the friendly staff, and a unique balcony café providing elevated views down the esplanade.
InterContinental Marine Drive Mumbai – The Location
- Address: 135 Marine Drive, an esplanade in an inner-city area called Churchgate (named after the nearby railway station).
- Area: Fabulous area alongside the sea, so there are breezes and sunsets (haze permitting). About halfway along the esplanade. About 3 km to Chowpatty beach to the north and about 1 km to a great range of facilities to the south (around The Oberoi hotel).
- How to Get There: From the domestic and international airports, get a taxi at a pre-paid counter (25 km; 1-hour drive, longer during peak times). The Mumbai Central train station and nearby central bus depot are 25 minutes (6 km) away, and the CSMT station is a 12-minute drive (2 km) away.
InterContinental Marine Drive Mumbai – The Basics
- Guests: Tourists and business people from India and all over the world.
- Views: Rooms to the front obviously face the sea, but those on both sides still offer terrific ocean views. Rooms to the back overlook the city streets.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected (or provided) at this sort of hotel in this area of Mumbai.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)22 6639 9999
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: ihg.com
InterContinental Marine Drive Mumbai – Amenities
- Pool: Lovely pool on the rooftop (uncommon among competitors). Views, breezes, and plenty of colorful sunbeds. The excellent Dome bar/bistro is alongside.
- Spa & Fitness Center: Perhaps surprisingly, there are neither.
- For Families: Baby-sitting.
- Other Facilities: Money-changing. Laundry. Business Center (24 hours).
InterContinental Marine Drive Mumbai – Food and Drink
- Restaurants & Bars: Long & Short Delicatessen – Quaint patisserie offering delicious coffee, cheesecakes, and breads. • Long & Short-The Gastrobar – Air-conditioned inside or open balcony providing views along the esplanade. Superb meals and bar attached. Open 24 hours. • Kebab Korner – Attentive service, fascinating décor, and traditional-style cuisine relished by meat-lovers. Also, some intimate tables with sea views. • Dome – Renowned bar/bistro alongside the rooftop pool. Some of the city’s finest food and views. Open in time for sunset.
- Breakfast: Included in all rates (which is not that common among rival hotels).
- Room Service: Available 24/7.
InterContinental Marine Drive Mumbai – Rooms
- Room Types: Classic Rooms • Seafront Corner Suites • Luxury Suites • Presidential Suite (1-only) • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking is permitted on the premises.
- Best Room: The 1-only Presidential Suite is the largest and offers the most superior views of the sea.
- For Families: Suites can cater for families, so one or two extra single beds can be included with no fuss.
InterContinental Marine Drive Mumbai – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: One of the finest areas in Mumbai for walking. With wide and shady sidewalks the entire length of the esplanade, why not join the hundreds of locals for an early morning stroll?
- Public Transport: Nothing of any use to tourists. The Mumbai Metro probably won’t reach this far until about 2023.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: Plenty of taxis. Use the black-and-yellow ones and insist on using the meter. Rides can also be booked using Uber and Ola apps. No auto-rickshaws in this area.
InterContinental Marine Drive Mumbai – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
- Café Coffee Day – One in a vast countrywide chain of popular cafés serving light meals and coffee. Unique street-side position in the Sea Green Hotel, 300m south down the road.
The best selection is along Veer Nariman (VN) Road, which starts about 200m south down the road from the hotel. These 4 places are within 250m of the junction (with traffic lights) of VN Road and the esplanade:
- Pizza by the Bay – Known across the city as much for its corner position, sea views, and art deco style as its tasty (but pricey) pizzas, wraps, and pasta.
- Shiv Sagar – Casual street-side setting or air-conditioned inside. Massive menu includes tacos, pasta, and pizzas – all vegetarian. Bar attached.
- Mockingbird Café Bar – Very classy and pleasingly priced. Mostly Indian and Italian food, but tasty burgers and sandwiches, too.
- Gaylord – French-style café/bar/bakery providing street-side seats perfect for people-watching. A little pricey, but worthwhile.
- The popular Chowpatty Beach is about 3 km north along the esplanade from the InterContinental. Ideal for a walk there and, maybe, a taxi back. While the sand is clean and views impressive, the water is not suitable for swimming. Plenty of food stalls during the evenings.
InterContinental Marine Drive Mumbai – The Hotel
All Mumbai Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Time to Visit Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Time to Visit Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Best Time to Visit Chennai
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Time to Visit Delhi
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Time to Visit Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Time to Visit Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Time to Visit Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Time to Visit Kolkata