Home > Jaswant Niwas Hotel Review
Updated: October 9, 2019
Jaswant Niwas – Spacious, serene, and home-style guesthouse convenient to the airport.
Staying in crowded hotels around the claustrophobic Old City can be daunting for some, so this guesthouse is a welcome change with its large rooms at ground level, broad verandas, and a tranquil garden setting. Each of the five rooms is nicely furnished and attached to the family home run by the friendly owners. It’s located in a residential area with comparatively quiet, clean, and safe streets and surprisingly pleasant cafés, bars, and shops nearby. Also close to the airport (and air force base, so jets do occasionally soar overhead).
Jaswant Niwas – The Location
- Address: 583 Baggi Khana Road, Nehru Colony, Ratanada. (According to street signs, it doesn’t actually seem to be in Nehru Colony.) Turn at the Panch Batti Circle roundabout with the large Chandra Inn, about 500m away. Jaswant Niwas is signed, but there is no indication that it’s a guesthouse from the gates. The best landmark is the Hotel Lord Shiva, 2 doors away.
- Area: In a suburban area on the southern fringes of Jodhpur. Cleaner, safer, and quieter area than the Old City.
- How to Get There: Only 2.3km (5-minute drive) from the airport. At the attractive (and low-key) terminal, there are pre-paid booths for taxis and auto-rickshaws. The train terminal is 3km away (9-minute drive), the main bus station is about 4km (9-minute drive), and the Mehrangarh Fort is about 7km (16-minute drive).
- Handy to: Old City.
Jaswant Niwas – The Basics
- Guests: Caters to all. Especially suitable for families and those who don’t want to cope with cramped guesthouses and rickety steps in the Old City.
- Views: Most rooms face the courtyard with extra frosted windows at the back providing more privacy.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Certainly not expected or provided at an inner-city guesthouse like this in Jodhpur.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout for all guests.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)91160 01174
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: jaswantniwas.com
Jaswant Niwas – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Certainly not expected or provided.
- Other Facilities: Cooking classes. Laundry.
Jaswant Niwas – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: None on-site and not expected with only a few rooms.
- Breakfast: Decent cooked breakfast included in all rates.
- Room Service: With no café on-site, room service is not expected.
Jaswant Niwas – Rooms
- Room Types: All rooms differ in layout, but are pretty much the same inside.
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms, but permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: The best is on the ground floor, tucked away behind the dining room. It’s the quietest and suffers no traffic noise.
- For Families: Ask about squeezing in an extra 1 or 2 single beds. Otherwise, 2 adjoining rooms would be ideal. Quite a good option for a family.
Jaswant Niwas – Local Transport
- Walking: Unlike the Old City, strolling along the backstreets is pleasant. There are sidewalks (of sorts), and a few shops to explore. However, don’t get too close to the air force base.
- Public Transport: Nothing of use for tourists anywhere in Jodhpur.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: Taxis (unmetered) can be ordered through the guesthouse for longer day-trips, but they can’t enter the Old City. Auto-rickshaws are good enough for going anywhere in Jodhpur. These can be flagged down along the road outside. Taxis and auto-rickshaws can also be ordered through the Uber app.
Jaswant Niwas – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
A few places sell street food along the road nearby, but far better options are also within walking distance. Turn right from the guesthouse gate and walk 500m to the Panch Batti Circle roundabout (with the Chandra Inn). From there, turn left and within 200m are 3 great places:
- One Airport +91 77425 257212 – Fashionable bar/café with a garden setting away from the road. 7-minute walk (550m).
- The Filos Café & Restaurant – Outstanding Greek-inspired bistro with the longest menu of western food in Jodhpur, including pizza, pasta, and burgers. Opposite One Airport. 7-minute walk (550m).
- Winds Restaurant & Bar – Elegant, spacious, and popular, with a focus on organic ingredients. Further down from The Filos. 9-minute walk (750m).
Otherwise, turn left from the guesthouse gate and then take a sharp left again at the roundabout (with a tank), which is 200m from the guesthouse.
- One of very few supermarkets in Jodhpur, Shreenath Bazaar is 400m away, almost at the roundabout, turning right from the guesthouse gate. It sells most of life’s necessities, as well as fresh fruit. 5-minute walk.
- Umaid Bhawan Palace – An architectural marvel; one part of the palace still serves as a Royal Family residence, the rest has been converted to the Taj Hotel and museum. Only the museum is open to the public, and it’s very popular for the vintage car and clock collections and vast gardens with peacocks. Great spot for a romantic meal. 10 am to 4.30 pm. 3-minute drive (1.8km).
- Jaswant Thada – Also known as the Taj Mahal of Mewar, a marble marvel amidst lush, landscaped gardens and next to a serene lake. The intricate marble lattice screens as well as the city views are superb. Easily paired with a visit to the Mehrangarh Fort. 9 am to 5 pm. 17-minute drive (7km).
- Mehrangarh Fort – This magnificent fort is the overwhelming attraction that dominates the Old City. The ticket office is at the main vehicle entrance of the fort. Open daily from 9 am to 5 pm. 18-minute drive (7km),
- Mandore Garden – Historic garden, home to beautiful empty tombs of the Royal Family. The Hall of Heroes, temple of 330 Million Gods, and Government Museum are worth seeing. Visitors can also explore the Mandore Fort ruins or have a picnic on the grounds. Located just outside the city. 23-minute drive (11km).
Jaswant Niwas – The Hotel
All Jodhpur Hotel Reviews
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai