Jewel Palace Haweli – A hidden gem that’s so quiet, friendly, bright, and cheerful.
This budget-priced 500-year-old guesthouse offers far better rooms and facilities than its exterior would suggest. Dotted along several levels and mostly facing the shady courtyard, rooms are beautifully renovated with an authentic Rajasthani appeal. The rooms are small but uniquely furnished and certainly comfortable, with a few offering superb views of the fort. The overall design of the guesthouse is synonymous with the Old City: blue walls, thick wooden doors, and paintings of kings everywhere. Adding to the immense appeal is the very helpful staff and two dining areas. With far fewer steps than other guesthouses and positioned away from the chaotic street, it’s also among the finest in the Old City for families.
Jewel Palace Haweli – The Location
- Address: Along Old Fort Road, in an area called Navchokiya in the western part of the Old City. Look for the sign along the road (really just a lane) 100m up from the Rani Mahal hotel. The Jewel Palace is another 100m along an alley, and then up through the gate for another 50m.
- Area: In the middle of the Old City, with all the vibrancy (and chaos) that it entails.
- How to Get There: About 8 km (20-minute drive) from the airport. At the attractive (and low-key) terminal, there are pre-paid booths for taxis and auto-rickshaws, but note: taxis cannot enter this part of the Old City. The train terminal (3 km) and main bus station (5 km) are accessible by auto-rickshaw.
- Handy to: Old City. Mehrangarh Fort.
Jewel Palace Haweli – The Basics
- Guests: Caters for all, and there’s even a small room for a family.
- Views: Of the 9 rooms, 3 provide excellent views of the fort. Others face the courtyard within the old building.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Certainly not expected or provided at a historic inner-city guesthouse like this in Jodhpur.
- Extras: Free pickup from the airport, train terminal, or bus station within Jodhpur.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)291 264 1912
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: jewelhaweli.com
Jewel Palace Haweli – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided.
- Other Facilities: Laundry. Travel advice/bookings. Book exchange.
Jewel Palace Haweli – Food and Drink
- Restaurants: There are 2 places to eat, both offering the same limited menu of Indian and western food. The rooftop area provides stunning panoramas of the Old City. Another area is inside and air-conditioned, ideal for the scorching summer months.
- Breakfast: Included in all rates.
- Room Service: Claims to offer 24/7 room service, but more likely from 7 am to 9 pm.
Jewel Palace Haweli – Rooms
- Room Types: Only 9 rooms, each different in design, layout, and décor. • List of all Rooms
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms or café areas.
- Best Room: The finest are those facing the fort, with the optimal view from the room highest up.
- For Families: One room has 2 single beds and twin bunk beds, so it’s ideal for a family of 4.
Jewel Palace Haweli – Local Transport
- Walking: The Old City is fascinating to wander around, but there are no sidewalks, so all pedestrians share the scarily narrow streets and alleys with maniacal motorcyclists and anarchic auto-rickshaw drivers. And watch out for huge piles of fresh cow dung.
- Public Transport: Nothing of use for tourists anywhere in Jodhpur.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: Taxis (unmetered) can be ordered through the guesthouse for longer day-trips, but can’t possibly enter the Old City. Auto-rickshaws are good enough for anywhere around Jodhpur. These hang about junctions in the Old City. Taxis and auto-rickshaws can also be ordered through the Ola and Uber apps.
Jewel Palace Haweli – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
Nothing better than eating or drinking at one of the (surprisingly few) rooftop cafés offering expansive views of the streets and fort, which is especially stunning after sunset.
- Jaswant Bhawan – Along the alley to the guesthouse, only 50m away. Top-notch food, but rooftop not as high as the Jewel Palace.
- Rani Mahal – Superb hotel offering the classy Jeeman vegetarian restaurant on the ground floor which is worth visiting just for the setting. The same food is also served on the rooftop. Almost opposite the turnoff for the alley to the Jewel Palace.
- Raj Mandir +91 98290 23390 – Open-air, faultless views, and pleasing prices. Ideal for a sunset beer. Just past the Rani Mahal.
- Castle View – Impressive setting and long menu of Indian, Chinese, and western food. The winding lanes and numerous steps are worth it. Look for the signs near the Rani Mahal hotel.
- And inside the fort are: Chokelao Garden Café (lunchtime buffets), Mehrangarh Fine Dining Evening Restaurant (spectacular views, dinner only, and booking required), and Palki Café (snacks and drinks). (2 km).
Nearby Shops & Markets
- The overwhelming attraction is the magnificent Mehrangarh Fort that dominates the Old City. The secondary entrance is only 350m up the main street from the guesthouse, while the ticket office is at the main vehicle entrance at the other side of the fort (2 km). Open daily from 9 am to 5 pm. Also, check out the lakes at the end of the street, about 250m up from the guesthouse.
- Jaswant Thada – Also known as the Taj Mahal of Mewar, a marble marvel amidst lush, landscaped gardens and next to a serene lake. The intricate marble lattice screens as well as the city views are superb. Easily paired with a visit to the Mehrangarh Fort. 9 am to 5 pm. (2 km).
- Mandore Garden – Historic garden, home to beautiful empty tombs of the Royal Family. The Hall of Heroes, temple of 330 Million Gods, and Government Museum are worth seeing. Visitors can also explore the Mandore Fort ruins or have a picnic on the grounds. Located just outside the city. (8 km).
- Umaid Bhawan Palace – An architectural marvel; one part of the palace still serves as a Royal Family residence, the rest has been converted to the Taj Hotel and museum. Only the museum is open to the public, and it’s very popular for the vintage car and clock collections and vast gardens with peacocks. Great spot for a romantic meal. 10 am to 4.30 pm. (8 km).
Jewel Palace Haweli – The Hotel
All Jodhpur Hotel Reviews
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Hotels in Goa
- Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai