Home > Jhankar Haveli Hotel Review
Updated: October 9, 2019
Jhankar Haveli – Newly built, yet with an old-world charm, and located in a top-notch part of the Old City.
Upmarket sister to The Blue House, one of the first guesthouses in the Old City, rooms at the Jhankar are hidden behind dungeon-like wooden doors and are all individually designed and decorated, some with a pleasant, almost-medieval vibe. More spacious than imagined, rooms feature old-fashioned furniture and modern bathrooms. Other genuine advantages are the excellent café at ground level, rooftop terrace with sublime views of the fort, and the finest selection of cafés and shops within the most appealing area of the Old City.
Jhankar Haveli – The Location
- Address: Sutharo Ka Bass Road, in the northern part of the Old City known as Makrana Mohalla. Nearest landmark is the ancient Stepwell pond and square (also known as Tunwarji ka Jhalra), which is 50m northeast up the street.
- Area: In a classier area of the Old City, but still fairly chaotic. Faces a broad junction of streets and alleys. The finest selection of cafés and shops in the Old City is within a 1-minute walk.
- How to Get There: About 6km (15-minute drive) from the airport. At the attractive (and low-key) terminal, there are pre-paid booths for taxis and auto-rickshaws, but note: taxis cannot enter this part of the Old City. The train terminal (1.8km, 9-minute drive) and main bus station (2.5km, 9-minute drive) are also quite convenient, and best accessed by auto-rickshaw.
- Handy to: Old City. Mehrangarh Fort.
Jhankar Haveli – The Basics
- Guests: For no apparent reason, most seem younger than 40.
- Views: Most rooms face the courtyard and have limited windows, while a couple do provide unobstructed views of the fort.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Not expected or provided at an inner-city guesthouse like this in Jodhpur.
- Wi-Fi: Available free throughout for all guests.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 (0)291 262 1390
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: jhankarhaveli.com
Jhankar Haveli – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Not expected or provided.
- Other Facilities: Travel advice/bookings. Money-changing. Laundry. Bicycle hire. Business facilities.
Jhankar Haveli – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The excellent restaurant at ground level is a welcome respite from the traffic. Serving hearty serves of vegetarian fare, the staff can even rustle up a beer. Same meals at the rooftop terrace with majestic views. Especially romantic when the fort is lit up after sunset.
- Breakfast: Included in most rates, but double-check when booking.
- Room Service: Limited service available during restaurant hours – 7 am to 9.30 pm.
Jhankar Haveli – Rooms
- Room Types: Junior Suites (with Canal View or Balcony) • King Suites • Executive Suites • Queen Rooms • Suites with City View • Presidential Suites
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking anywhere on the premises.
- Best Room: The one to book is the Presidential Suite, featuring a balcony directly facing the fort.
- For Families: Some rooms can accommodate families of 3 or 4.
Jhankar Haveli – Local Transport
- Walking: The Old City is fascinating to wander around, but there are no sidewalks, so pedestrians share the scarily narrow streets and alleys with maniacal motorcyclists and anarchic auto-rickshaw drivers. Watch out for huge piles of fresh cow dung.
- Public Transport: Nothing of use for tourists anywhere in Jodhpur.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: Taxis (unmetered) can be ordered at the reception for longer day-trips, but can’t enter the Old City. Auto-rickshaws are good enough for going anywhere in Jodhpur, and can be found around junctions in the Old City. Taxis and auto-rickshaws can also be ordered through the Uber app.
Jhankar Haveli – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Among several Western-style cafés at the junction directly in front of the hotel, 2 of the finest are in 1 particularly blue building: The Blue Turban Café (cozy setting on the first level) and The Curry’s (superb food on the rooftop). 1-minute walk (25m).
Otherwise, keep walking up the street (to the northeast) for only 50m to Stepwell, an ancient pond and square known locally as Tunwarji ka Jhalra. These 3 places are clustered together:
- Jharokha 360 – Rooftop of the incongruous modern building. Broad views and classy Indian food. 1-minute walk (45m).
- Open House Cafe – Quaint, inviting, and directly overlooking Stepwell. For Indian, Chinese, and western meals. And beer available. 1-minute walk (50m).
- The Stepwell Café – Along the same lane as the Open House. More spacious seating and loftier views, but a little pricey. 1-minute walk (55m).
Shops & Markets
- Classiest area in the Old City, with several shops that could even be labeled ‘chic’ – especially around Stepwell, 60m further along the street (1-minute walk). And ask directions to Sardar Market, based around the landmark Clock Tower and opposite the renowned Pal Haveli hotel (400m, 5-minute walk). Comparatively clean, quiet, and traffic-free, the market is open all day every day.
- Jaswant Thada – Also known as the Taj Mahal of Mewar, a marble marvel amidst lush, landscaped gardens and next to a serene lake. The intricate marble lattice screens as well as the city views are superb. Easily paired with a visit to the Mehrangarh Fort. 9 am to 5 pm. 11-minute drive (2.7km).
- The overwhelming attraction is the magnificent Mehrangarh Fort that dominates the Old City. The main entrance is about 3km by auto-rickshaw. Open daily from 9 am to 5 pm. 11-minute drive.
- Umaid Bhawan Palace – An architectural marvel; one part of the palace still serves as a Royal Family residence, the rest has been converted to the Taj Hotel and museum. Only the museum is open to the public, and it’s very popular for the vintage car and clock collections and vast gardens with peacocks. Great spot for a romantic meal. 10 am to 4.30 pm. 17-minute drive (6km).
- Mandore Garden – Historic garden, home to beautiful empty tombs of the Royal Family. The Hall of Heroes, temple of 330 Million Gods, and Government Museum are worth seeing. Visitors can also explore the Mandore Fort ruins or have a picnic on the grounds. Located just outside the city. 20-minute drive (8km).
Jhankar Haveli – The Hotel
All Jodhpur Hotel Reviews
- The Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- The Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- The Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- The Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- The Best Hotels in Goa
- The Best Family Hotels in Goa
- Where to Stay in Goa
- The Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- The Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- The Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai