John’s Highland Comfort Guest House – No-frills budget choice that’s still spacious, serene, comfortable, and not far from the beach.
Despite the name, it’s not near any highlands but is within a short stroll of the beach via a lane flanked by fields of grazing cows. Set along a quiet countryside path, the guesthouse only offers eight rooms in a building next to the family home. Rooms are huge and most feature air-con and cable TV – all at a fraction of the cost charged at nearby resorts. Each room has a porch/balcony and kitchen bench with a fridge (but no cooking facilities). There’s no pool, gym, or spa, but a glorious beach is nearby, and a few shops and cafés are even closer. And the guesthouse is accessible by public bus, which is rare. In short: a fabulous bargain.
John’s Highland Comfort Guest House – The Location
- Address: The official address of ‘House Number 146/9, Adao Vaddo’ will mean nothing to any driver. A very useful landmark is the Alila Diwa Goa resort. The gates of this resort are directly opposite the path to the guesthouse, which is about 100m from the main street. In Majorda village, one of the most northerly beach areas in South Goa.
- Area: Along a path with virtually no traffic. Within a quiet section of Majorda, away from the main road. About 100m from a street with a few facilities, and 1 km to the beach via a lane.
- How to Get There: From the airport (15 km, 30-minute drive), there is little choice except overpriced pre-paid taxis. The nearest major train station is at Vasco da Gama, 20 km away (40-minute drive).
- Handy to: Majorda beach.
John’s Highland Comfort Guest House – The Basics
- Guests: Independent and budget-minded travelers of all ages.
- Views: All rooms have 2 sets of windows overlooking an empty block and/or nearby homes.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Certainly not expected (or provided) at a guesthouse like this.
- Parking: A few secure spots on the property next to the family home.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: +91 98221 50774
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: johnsguesthousegoa.com
John’s Highland Comfort Guest House – Amenities
- Pool, Spa, & Fitness Center: Not expected (or provided).
- Other Facilities: Taxi service at negotiable rates. Bicycle rentals.
John’s Highland Comfort Guest House – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: No café on-site.
- Breakfast: Breakfast is a minimal extra cost and delivered to the room from 8 am.
- Room Service: Not available because there is no café on-site.
John’s Highland Comfort Guest House – Rooms
- Room Types: All rooms are the same. Half at ground level, the rest on the upper floor.
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking in the rooms, but permitted elsewhere.
- Best Room: All rooms are the same, but the quietest would be on the upper floor and more distant from the reception area and carpark.
- For Families: All rooms feature sofas that could be used as extra double beds. There’s certainly enough space for a family of 4 in every room.
John’s Highland Comfort Guest House – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Fabulous area for exploring on foot along lanes meandering into villages and to the beach. Also terrific for cycling, and the guesthouse can arrange bike rentals.
- Public Transport: Public buses hurtle along the street 100m from the guesthouse about every 15 minutes. (More so in the early morning and late afternoon.) They loop around the local area and start/finish at Margao (Madgaon), the major transport hub for connections across Goa. No metro or any local trains of use to tourists.
- Taxis & Auto-rickshaws: No auto-rickshaws or metered taxis. App-based rides, Uber and Ola, don’t operate anywhere in Goa, but the local alternative – Goa Miles – is worth trying, though really, the only option for longer trips are unmetered private ‘taxis’. Arrange these through the resort. Rates are overpriced but negotiable.
- Cars & Motorbikes: Goa is the only place in India where renting a car or motorbike is feasible. No internationally-recognized agencies are present, so renting at a local shop presents obvious risks. Best to organize this at the resort. Rides on the back of a motorbike (called a ‘pilot’) are possible; ask around.
John’s Highland Comfort Guest House – What’s Nearby?
Best Nearby Restaurants & Bars
3 excellent choices are located at the corner of the main street and path to the guesthouse, only 100m away.
- The Camron +91 99224 83479 – Popular with guests night after night for its friendly service, extended menu, and likable background music.
- Alila Diwa – This fabulous resort directly opposite the path to the guesthouse offers: Vivo (buffets and a la carte 24/7, with healthy options), Spice Studio (elegant setting and Goan cuisine, but dinner only), and The Edge (poolside bar and signature cocktails).
- Fish’ka Bar & Restaurant – Amazingly long menu, including pasta, burgers, and other western delights. Cheap prices, breezy setting, and fascinating photos on the walls.
Otherwise, walk to the beach via the shady path.
- Beach Cafés – The few places on the sand offer little more than drinks made from local fruits and imported spirits. So, the only options for a meal are Greenland Bar & Garden Restaurant, at the end of the path to the beach (1 km), and The Camron Café, about 200m north along the sand from the Greenland.
- A few souvenir shops and a couple of basic grocery stores are located just around the corner of the main street and path to the guesthouse. A better-stocked grocery store is along the path to the beach, about 400m from the guesthouse.
- Majorda Beach is a magnificent stretch of sand that seems endless in both directions. It is astoundingly undeveloped, with just a few makeshift shacks renting sunbeds and selling mostly drinks. Waves can get a little rough for the inexperienced, so swim between the flags. (Lifeguards are on duty from about 10 am to sunset.) Some basic water-sports are also available from a kiosk on the beach. Note that facilities such as toilets are basic. To reach the beach (1 km), turn right at the corner of the path to the hotel and main street, and take the first left at the turn-off. The path to the beach is lovely, mostly flanked by fields of grazing cows, but take heed of the signs which say that the beach is strictly closed after 7 pm.
John’s Highland Comfort Guest House – The Hotel
All Goa Hotel Reviews
- The Acacia Hotel & Spa Goa
- Acron Candolim Regina
- Alagoa Resort
- Alila Diwa
- The Avenue Calangute
- Beleza by the Beach
- Casablanca Resort
- Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Goa Candolim
- The Crown Goa
- The Diwa Club
- Goa Villagio Resort & Spa
- Hard Rock Hotel Goa
- Holiday Inn Resort, Goa
- Hospedaria Abrigo de Botelho
- Hyatt Centric Candolim Goa
- Karma Royal Haathi Mahal
- La Sunila Suites
- Lemon Tree Amarante Beach Resort
- Mateus Boutique Hotel
- Novotel Goa Candolim Hotel
- Novotel Goa Dona Sylvia Resort Hotel
- Radisson Goa Candolim
- Radisson Blu Resort Goa Cavelossim Beach
- River Castle
- Santana Beach Resort
- Sonesta Inns
- Tranquility Cottage Resort
- WelcomHeritage Panjim Inn, Pousada, & Peoples
- Whispering Palms Beach Resort
- Best Hotels in Agra
- Where to Stay in Agra
- Best Hotels in Bengaluru
- Where to Stay in Bengaluru
- Best Hotels in Chennai
- Where to Stay in Chennai
- Best Hotels in Delhi
- Where to Stay in Delhi
- Best Hotels in Jaipur
- Where to Stay in Jaipur
- Best Hotels in Jodhpur
- Where to Stay in Jodhpur
- Best Hotels in Kolkata
- Where to Stay in Kolkata
- Best Hotels in Mumbai
- Where to Stay in Mumbai