by Santorini Dave • Updated: May 8, 2019
See Also: The Best Hotels in Bali
KajaNe Mua – Tranquil, traditional, and tropical hotel in a central location.
The overall design is a pleasing mix of modern and Balinese, along narrow grounds stretching from the busy main road to unspoilt rice fields and coconut plantations. The spacious and airy rooms with broad balconies are in a motel-style building, some facing the road and the rest fronting the pool and gardens. Most of the more appealing villas feature vine-covered stone walls raised above cobblestone paths for maximum seclusion, privacy, and views. The pool (with bar) is enveloped by shadows from a neighboring resort, but the hotel’s location is superb: midway along Monkey Forest Road and its abundant shops and cafés, and walkable to Monkey Forest.
KajaNe Mua – The Location
- Address: Midway along Monkey Forest Road in the center of Ubud, the most popular tourist region in central Bali.
- Area: Lovely, untouched tropical setting, yet remarkably within downtown. Faces a busy road, with several facilities in all directions.
- How to Get There: Best to arrange an airport pickup with the hotel, which is about 1.5 hours (38km) away (depending on traffic). See other options under “Local Transport” below.
- Handy to: Monkey Forest.
KajaNe Mua – The Basics
- Guests: The overall vibe is about older couples who relish the serenity, seclusion, and remarkable convenience.
- Views: Most rooms overlook the pool and/or gardens, while a few do face the busy road. Villas are secluded behind walls, and some face the creek at the back of the grounds.
- Private Pools/Jacuzzis: Villas feature sizeable swimming pools.
- Wi-Fi: Free throughout for all guests.
- Parking: Virtually nowhere to park, and think long and hard before driving anywhere in Bali.
- How to Book: Booking.com will have the best rates.
- Phone: (0)361 972 875
- Email: [email protected]
- Website: kajanebali.com
KajaNe Mua – Amenities
- Pool: Functional and large enough, but less appealing than some hotel pools because it is overshadowed by the wall of a neighboring resort. With a swim-up bar.
- Spa: The Bali HomeMADE Spa provides highly-trained staff, wonderful private areas in the forest, and plenty of treatments. Popular for packages lasting up to 4 hours.
- Fitness Center: None.
- For Families: Cots.
- Activities: Lessons in Balinese cooking, art, dance, and gamelan music. Yoga classes.
- Other Facilities: Book/DVD Library. Business Center.
KajaNe Mua – Food and Drink
- Restaurant & Bar: The classy HomeMADE Restaurant faces the noisy road, but seating on the second level is quieter. Tasty, well-presented meals and attentive staff. Also, a swim-up bar alongside the pool.
- Breakfast: Not included, but a buffet breakfast is offered for a reasonable extra cost.
- Room Service: Available during restaurant hours of about 7 am to 9.30 pm.
KajaNe Mua – Rooms
- Room Types: Deluxe Rooms (with/without balcony) • Junior Suites with Balcony • One Bedroom Pool Villas
- Smoking Rooms: No smoking allowed anywhere in the rooms or grounds.
- Best Room: The One Bedroom Pool Villas are spacious, set further back from the road, and secluded. With private pools.
- For Families: All accommodation can fit in an extra single bed, but not 2. Best to get rooms with connecting doors.
KajaNe Mua – Local Transport
- Walking & Cycling: Ubud is surprisingly spread out and distances can be deceivingly long, but plenty of places to shop, eat, and drink are within walking distance of the hotel. A few hardy expats ride bicycles, but traffic in central Ubud and hilly roads elsewhere ensure that cycling is rarely enjoyable.
- Public Transport: There is no reliable public transport anywhere in or around Ubud.
- Cars, Motorbikes, & Taxis: Driving a car is not recommended anywhere in Bali, but motorbikes are popular for visiting local attractions without the traffic of the south. Both can be rented from agencies downtown. Metered taxis from southern Bali can drop passengers off in Ubud, but are forbidden to operate here. So the best (and really, only) option for day trips is to charter a car with a driver. This can be organized with any of the several drivers hanging around the streets, or better, through the hotel.
- Shuttle Bus: For towns popular with tourists (e.g. Kuta and Lovina), shuttle buses are comfortable and cheap, if a little overcrowded at times. Local operators, as well as the major island-wide company, Perama, will pick up (but not drop off) guests from their hotel. The Kura-Kura Bus company links Ubud with southern Bali, but schedules are convoluted and routes, confusing.
KajaNe Mua – What’s Nearby?
Restaurants & Bars
- Café Wayan & Bakery – Next to the hotel entrance. Attracts many for the traditional décor, garden setting, and home-baked goodies. Cooking classes available. 1-minute walk.
- Cinta Grill – Very popular for the handsome setting and hangout cushions, as well as salads, pasta, and healthy stuff from its organic farm. Opposite the hotel entrance. 1-minute walk (20m).
- L.O.L. Bar & Restaurant – Inviting reggae-inspired bar, with street-side seats, snooker tables, and live music nightly. Virtually alongside the hotel entrance. 1-minute walk (30m).
- El Mexicano Bali – Cute twin-level eatery with a handful of tables and friendly service. Nachos, enchiladas, and everything in between. Alongside the L.O.L. 1-minute walk (40m).
- Wildberry Sushi Café – Quaint corner setting and bright décor. Sushi, sashimi, and all things Japanese. Opposite El Mexicano. 1-minute walk (40m).